Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
The situation is quite different today. We are taking in over 2 million legal and illegal immigrants a year. There are currently over 40 million immigrants in the US right now out of our current population of 300 million. If current trends continue the US population will be around 470 million by 2060 of whom over 100 million will be immigrants. How in the world are we going to assimilate all those people? It has nver been done and probably can't be done.

If the current trends in immigration remain unaltered then expect the US to be a very different country fifty years from now. It will be a balkanized and crowded polygot of people. It will be a recipe for disaster. This is not the future I wish to leave to my children.

Long Island will probably be unrecognizable. Nassau County is already being transformed. It becomes more like Queens everyday. Suffolk is not far behind.
The beauty of our current economy is that most immigrants will soon realize it pays to be elsewhere (sarcasm)...of course that means my dollar will continue to suck wind against the euro, yen...

Nobody can predict what immigration levels will be sustained at and that this trend will lead to some racial holy war...It might simply lead to lot of very happy "tan" people with tan kids. I think we should lay it on the line...for every american citizen of non native-american heritage who says we must stop immigration now (because they of course are already here) they must be willing to enter a lottery to also be deported to their ethnic country of origin. Seems that would be fair... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
http://www.cmap.nypirg.org/special/l.../gif/white.gif

Check out the above link.

It shows pretty clear the trends happening on Long Island.

The map is based on the 2000 census.

Expect the mostly White areas to have shrunk even more by the 2010 census.

God knows what it will look like by 2025, 2050 or 2060.
How is white defined? If you are white and marry a hispanic spouse, all your kids are then considered hispanic according to most definitions(even if they don't speak Spanish or know nothing about the Hispanic culture). If anyone of mixed heritage is no longer considered white, then no wonder there are no white majority areas going to be left anywhere in the US, nevermind LI.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default Level off - are you serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
The beauty of our current economy is that most immigrants will soon realize it pays to be elsewhere (sarcasm)...of course that means my dollar will continue to suck wind against the euro, yen...

Nobody can predict what immigration levels will be sustained at and that this trend will lead to some racial holy war...It might simply lead to lot of very happy "tan" people with tan kids. I think we should lay it on the line...for every american citizen of non native-american heritage who says we must stop immigration now (because they of course are already here) they must be willing to enter a lottery to also be deported to their ethnic country of origin. Seems that would be fair... .
Immigration levels are not likely to level off. Immigration is now running at around 2 milllion a year and might increase if Bush or Hillary Clinton ever gets their way. The projection of 470 million people in America by 2060 is based on current trends. The upper estimate could be something like 600 million people in America by 2060 if immigration increases just a little bit.

As far as your lots of happy tan people comment, sure they'll be happy because they'll be in control and White guys like me and my children will be screwed in every way possible. Basically, my very White children will have no future in a balkanized overcrowded America.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Default The one drop rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
How is white defined? If you are white and marry a hispanic spouse, all your kids are then considered hispanic according to most definitions(even if they don't speak Spanish or know nothing about the Hispanic culture). If anyone of mixed heritage is no longer considered white, then no wonder there are no white majority areas going to be left anywhere in the US, nevermind LI.
Who is White?

For the census it is any person that checks off the box for White.

Who is considered White?

Well we all know it when we see it.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Who is White?

For the census it is any person that checks off the box for White.

Who is considered White?

Well we all know it when we see it.
Hey, I can understand your frustration as I'm white also. A lot of the people I know who check off Hispanic due to being a product of mixed race marriages act more "white" than I do. They don't know any Spanish, nor are they interested in doing so.
Maybe "on paper" we'll be much more Hispanic, but as the second generation of immigrants become more Americanized, they'll be turning away from their heritage as all previous immigration groups have.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default Yeah....us whites really struggle..

Quote:
Immigration levels are not likely to level off. Immigration is now running at around 2 milllion a year and might increase if Bush or Hillary Clinton ever gets their way. The projection of 470 million people in America by 2060 is based on current trends. The upper estimate could be something like 600 million people in America by 2060 if immigration increases just a little bit.

As far as your lots of happy tan people comment, sure they'll be happy because they'll be in control and White guys like me and my children will be screwed in every way possible. Basically, my very White children will have no future in a balkanized overcrowded America.
Yeah, your white children, like mine ,will surely struggle with no future. That's why we see an inordinate amount of minorities in high level employment positions right now (VERY few white CEO's ), and a large percentage of white folks in the low end service industry...please...

Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Most Hispanics will assimilate given the time, but we need a time out on new immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Hey, I can understand your frustration as I'm white also. A lot of the people I know who check off Hispanic due to being a product of mixed race marriages act more "white" than I do. They don't know any Spanish, nor are they interested in doing so.
Maybe "on paper" we'll be much more Hispanic, but as the second generation of immigrants become more Americanized, they'll be turning away from their heritage as all previous immigration groups have.
We misuse the term Hispanic in this country as if it denotes a separate racial group when in fact Hispanic defines a certain cultural group that is Spanish speaking, Roman Catholic, etc.. Hispanics are from all races and mixes. Most Mexicans are Mestizo, most Cubans are white, Dominicans are mulatto... So hispanics shouldn't be seen as one monolithic racial group. Hispanics are very diverse.

You are quite right. Many Hispanics will asssimilate given enough time, but the key is time and a reduction in current flows of new immigrants. I know quite a few people with names like Rodriguez, Ramirez, Hernandez, etc... who look whiter than me.

Again, the US needs to have a time out on immigration for about 50 years. Lets assimilate the people already here.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Not all whites are born wealthy, most of us are working class folks trying to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Yeah, your white children, like mine ,will surely struggle with no future. That's why we see an inordinate amount of minorities in high level employment positions right now (VERY few white CEO's ), and a large percentage of white folks in the low end service industry...please...
Not all Whites are born wealthy, most of us are just working class folks just trying to survive. There is a real misconception among wealthy liberal whites that every white person is somehow part of the wealthy class. There are lots of whites in low end service jobs - mainly due to the fact that good industrial jobs have been sent to China.

As far as your comment about CEO's and such - just wait. Once the current generation of baby boomers retires they will be replaced with hordes of foreigners. Newsday just published an editorial about how many of the doctors and college professors are foreigners already. The white population is being displaced - its just a matter of time before it happens in the boardrooms of corporate Amerikwa.

This country was once built on the concept that each generation would be able to do better than the previous, but I don't think that will be true for our kids.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,589 times
It isn't just high housing costs causing a crisis, of sorts. It's the property taxes. Oh, the property taxes. My sister is splitting from her husband and they are buying separate homes near to each other so as not to disrupt the kids lives any more than necessary. Between the two residences they will be paying, and I kid you not, 37k a year in property taxes. They are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, grudgingly, but not everyone can. How ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
It isn't just high housing costs causing a crisis, of sorts. It's the property taxes. Oh, the property taxes. My sister is splitting from her husband and they are buying separate homes near to each other so as not to disrupt the kids lives any more than necessary. Between the two residences they will be paying, and I kid you not, 37k a year in property taxes. They are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, grudgingly, but not everyone can. How ridiculous.
HOLY CRAP! My family is looking to move back to NY (although, my husband says it's A LOT different...the roads are more crowded, etc...than when we left 9 yrs. ago - is this true?). The more I think about it, the move back is probably not realistic since it doesn't look like we'll even be afford the taxes in a ghetto neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island