Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,799 times

Advertisements

HI ALL...I WAS JUST WONDERING if anybody knew if it was absolutely mandatory or code to have a hood over a gas range that is vented to the outside... I wanted to convert to gas I have an electric stove now with an over the stove microwave.. It Has A Fan that filters and recirculates the air... I've done some research and a lot of people are saying that its not really mandatory because of the incredibly low levels of CO.. but I know that every municipality is different when it comes to the book... any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM

429 posts, read 853,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilesjc View Post
HI ALL...I WAS JUST WONDERING if anybody knew if it was absolutely mandatory or code to have a hood over a gas range that is vented to the outside... I wanted to convert to gas I have an electric stove now with an over the stove microwave.. It Has A Fan that filters and recirculates the air... I've done some research and a lot of people are saying that its not really mandatory because of the incredibly low levels of CO.. but I know that every municipality is different when it comes to the book... any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!!
Hmmm, I think the answer is no, but if it's yes, I'd be in trouble.

Our gas oven range is not located near an exterior wall and we were converted from oil to gas a couple of months ago. We haven't had our final inspection yet by the town of oyster bay, but no one has mentioned anything to me so far about it and it's very apparent that it's not vented to the outside.

However, it's interesting that you mention this because we've been dealing with the aftermath of a burst heating pipe and essentially, half our house is being repaired. This includes the rooms off of the kitchen, so everything has been sheeted off. I've been feeling sick this week in the house and I thought maybe it was a bug, but I'm still not feeling great today and was wondering if there was just poor ventilation/build up of gases, since we've been living almost entirely in a room right off the kitchen and sleeping in a room right above the kitchen. We have carbon monoxide detectors on all three floors, but none of them have detected anything. I just wonder if the levels are low, but being continuously exposed to them is having an impact on me.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,273 times
No sure about code, but there are warranty clauses that you need to be aware of for your appliances.
Some hoods are not covered for use in gas ranges. Our microwave hood which vents outside states that the warranty will be void if not mounted at least a certain distance from the burner. I can't remember how many, I think 18".

Last edited by kayo_michael; 01-24-2014 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Edit: Grammar

Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
No sure about code, but there are warranty clauses that you need to be aware of for your appliances.
Some hoods are not covered for use in gas ranges. Our microwave hood which vents outside states that the warranty will be void if not mounted at least a certain distance from the burner. I can't remember how many, I think 18".
You have a hood for your microwave? I've never heard of the need to vent a microwave oven. I've worked in many offices that have a tabletop microwave, no vent. What would you even vent, there is no combustion.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
You have a hood for your microwave? I've never heard of the need to vent a microwave oven. I've worked in many offices that have a tabletop microwave, no vent. What would you even vent, there is no combustion.
It's a microwave/hood combo. It's mounted above the range, and there is an extractor fan under the microwave.

It also extracts food smells from the inside of the microwave too, which is very nifty.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
for those of you who vent to the outside, is there still a smell in the house?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
for those of you who vent to the outside, is there still a smell in the house?
It depends on the quality of the vent hood, and what you are cooking.

Microwave hood combos are not as good as a stand alone range hood. and CFM ratings are important also.

It also makes a difference on what you're cooking. If you want to grill indoors, a dedicated hood with a high CFM rating is essential to keep smoke and smell to a minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island