Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 AM

276 posts, read 988,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
Wow, screw off and mind your own business. If you really need to know, my husband works 2 jobs to make sure we stay afloat with this baby, and I fell the other day when he was at work.
Not anyone's problem but yours and your DHs that you fell. Again, to expect a neighbor to help out because you are pregnant, your husband works alot OR you fell is extremely over the top and unrealistic. Everyone has their own life and their own problems. Don't buy a home if you expect your neighbors to help you out with basic things that come along with homeownership (snow removal, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 AM

276 posts, read 988,854 times
Quote:
No, what he said really was rude.
No, it's that the truth apparently isn't what you want to hear.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Go to Craigslist. Plenty of ads from people who will come shovel you out. With that said, your reply may be a good indication of why no one helps you. Quite honestly you come off spoiled and full of entitlement.
Yup

Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
It's sad to say this the world we live in is becoming more stone cold by the mins i've had looney nieghbors, so i learned to survive by saying good morning and being on my merry way otherwise it will affect you as a human being! You'll be fine sorry i'm not your nieghbor since i love to bake I'd treat you! have a great day.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We had tough winters back then, too. And storms that knocked out the power for days.

But people did NOT behave as though they had no time for anyone but themselves.

The unfriendliness might indeed be a factor of changing times. And it's not a good change. To separate and isolate people from one another is to destroy a society.

This ^^ is responding to my previous post but I think you missed the point. While I am not condoning the unfriendliness back in the day all the moms were home while they watched the kids they also did paperwork, laundry, food shopping etc. Now many of those activities are divvied up between both mom and dad juggling the kids along the way. I had many good neighbors that I am still in contact with from our home around the block from my parents house BUT, they don't hold a candle to the people who I grew up with. I had two families with 8 kids each and those dads all pitched in and helped one another shovel and tackle new homeowner problems. I was a kid and my dad was working late one night, mom went to wash and there was a frog in the machine, one call to my next door neighbor and the frog was gone. The man released it to the storm basin a few blocks away.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Best to keep neighbors on a wave and brief chat basis.
I actually agree with this. We have very nice neighbors who we would help out in a pinch, and they would help us out in a pinch. If we're out and about walking the dog, or doing whatever, we stop and chit chat. If we run out of sugar we will ask them for some.

But we don't consider them friends. When the time comes that they move away, we will wish them well and never see them or speak to them again.

It may sound weird, but my wife and I are very happy with this situation.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
I do not want to know my neighbor to the point where im over their house chatting or they are over mine. Hi and bye is enough.

When I was living with a family member, the neighbor used to borrow my aunt's car from time to time. When her daughter came from school and no one was there to let her in the house, my family use to let her stay until her parents came. Well, one day it was very cold and my cousin walked home and no one was there to let her in. She went to the same neighbor's house and they did not let her in. She had to stay in the cold. True story. My family cursed her out one day when the neighbor came over begging for more favors.

I dont like close neighbors. Mind your business and ill mind mine. Further more, keep your cookie and BBQ. I don't like eating from people. I have to be like family close or best friend close to eat your food.

Last edited by Thehouse; 02-16-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I guess I'm lucky on my block. We live in a cul de sac with 8 other houses. We all get along. Last year my neighbor's daughter got married and the whole block was at the wedding (joking that our houses were being robbed). We all talk and get along, but it's more of when we happen to see each other than planning time to spend with each other. We all keep an eye out on each other's houses, etc... What we DON'T do or expect is to do each other's housework.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:39 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Wow, screw off and mind your own business. If you really need to know, my husband works 2 jobs to make sure we stay afloat with this baby, and I fell the other day when he was at work.
your husband should wake up 30-60 min earlier to shovel snow. That is what I do. I also shovel again when I get home

If not, contract someone to do it. If you can't afford it, then perhaps you can't afford to maintain a house.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
your husband should wake up 30-60 min earlier to shovel snow. That is what I do. I also shovel again when I get home

If not, contract someone to do it. If you can't afford it, then perhaps you can't afford to maintain a house.
Considering she said her H is working two jobs so they can "stay afloat" when the baby's born, my money's on this being right.

So many people think 3.5% down and a wing and a prayer is enough to sustain homeownership. It isn't, and people end up in some really stressed out, uncomfortable places, financially, when they are faced with the cold, hard reality of homeownership. Which doesn't exactly inspire anyone to "neighborliness." It's hard to give a hoot about the people around you when you can't pay your bills.

Also, OP, you have a young, presumably healthy husband, and you're wondering why your 50 year old neighbor with a 90 year old mother isn't helping you, and I'd bet he's wondering why your strapping young husband isn't offering to help him, considering he's not exactly sprightly and his mother is elderly. The man's old enough, it sounds like, to be your father - why should he be responsible for doing something for you that your own husband apparently can't/won't do?

My father's in his 50s, and has a serious heart condition. He will do limited, slow, careful shoveling of his own property, but if I found out some 30 year old with a healthy young husband was badmouthing him for not shoveling *her* out, I'd be pretty p'o'ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island