Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A lot of it depends on where you are in your life. You will probably find that your friends, at this point in your life, are people who have kids the same age as you.

You may also find that the people in your neighborhood grew up there or nearby and prefer old friends to new.

As far as neighborliness is concerned, I would day that that is too bad - on my old street in NY nobody was really friendly with each other but we were neighborly when there was a big storm and things like that. No idea why you are experiencing what you are experiencing, but I have found that things like this can vary greatly even street by street within a neighborhood. It is strange.
I guess we are not the norm. Everyone on our block is friendly with each other. We regularly have neighbors over, and when it snows it's like a race to see who plows our elderly neighbor's driveway first. When his wife died everyone went over to check on him, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Where is this Leave it to Beaver Land? Surely isnt on my Long Island.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM

295 posts, read 345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Agree. It's your husband's responsibility to take care of his own home while his wife is pregnant, notwithstanding his two jobs. It's part of the burden of: a) homeownership, and b) having a pregnant wife.

After spending 40 minutes shoveling my own driveway and sidewalk before heading out to work, the last thing I want to do is the same for a neighbor.
This is also what was on my mind. Throwing away the "friendly neighbor" argument, I'm amazed that a woman, let alone a pregnant woman is shoveling snow. I mean, if you're a single woman, or that's truely what you want to do, no one will stop you. My wife would never shovel, nor I would I ever want her to. Growing up on LI as a kid; on my block not one woman ever shoveled. Where I am currently on LI, the shoveling on my block is 100% men. That's all for now.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Where is this Leave it to Beaver Land? Surely isnt on my Long Island.
Very few places like that left in the country. Which is honestly a damned shame.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM

31 posts, read 153,320 times
I got naibors that look at me like snotty. People I went to school to. Long island aint so friwndly but I to see my grandma in florida and they look mosty the same.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:17 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I have to say though ( It's not expected) my mom's neighbor is very good to her. They know she lives alone and is disabled because she broke her leg and had to have pins put in. They shovel her property and clean off her car and she never asked them to do it so as a Thank You she gives them a bottle of wine or a cake. The fact that "some" people expect a neighbor to help out when they have an able husband or wife is just ridiculous. My next door neighbor could give a rats butt about us plus I hardly see them. I am a woman who shovels/snow blows their property because I get home first, I like to help and it should be 50/50.It's rare for us to ask a neighbor for help but my one neighbor across from me We will help on occasion like jump start their car or if her husband needs a ride to pick up his car at the repair shop (they only have one car). I have gotten very friendly with them so little things I do help with and in exchange his wife gives me some homemade soup or cookies. My husband tends to stay distant from neighbors except a wave hello. He doesn't want to get too close and have people knowing his business, next thing they want is to borrow tools etc..... and he just prefers not to do that.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsmith View Post
I got naibors that look at me like snotty. People I went to school to. Long island aint so friwndly but I to see my grandma in florida and they look mosty the same.
You've got other things to worry about than your neighbors, my friend.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
You've got other things to worry about than your neighbors, my friend.
has to be a dupe, right?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
has to be a dupe, right?
I would certainly hope so...

Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
Just came back from vacation and neighbors not only watched our dog for a week but also shoveled our driveway. But I have shoveled for an elderly neighbor and I bring in her garbage cans. We all look out for each other. Kids are friendly and I enjoy the company of my neighbors. Best thing about my house-- hands down-- is the neighborhood.

I shovel snow and I have 2 little kids-- they like to "help." If my husband is home he does it but if it snows during the day and he's in the city I do it. I'm not going to leave the driveway full of snow so he can't pull his car in after he had a (probably) hellish LIRR commute.

You choose the way you want to live. There are a few neighbors I avoid but for the most part it is a very nice way to live and I hope it stays that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island