Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM

172 posts, read 220,921 times

Advertisements

Hey I just wanted to know if you can grieve your taxes with a couple companies??

I grieved my taxes 3 times with one company and had success the first time and got shut down the last 2 times.

I was looking to do it again this year with the same company but was also possibly going to test my luck with some other companies sending mail to my home.

can I try a couple? what if they all succeed??

I got my home appraised last summer because I was going to get a home equity loan and there is like a 40k difference between my appraisal and tax bill home value. so maybe it's a good year to try
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM

344 posts, read 717,559 times
uhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh I am guessing not.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
They will bill you for the work they did if they found out you grieve with someone else.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 PM

really?? but don't they all say you pay nothing unless they win?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
Hey I just wanted to know if you can grieve your taxes with a couple companies??

I grieved my taxes 3 times with one company and had success the first time and got shut down the last 2 times.

I was looking to do it again this year with the same company but was also possibly going to test my luck with some other companies sending mail to my home.

can I try a couple? what if they all succeed??

I got my home appraised last summer because I was going to get a home equity loan and there is like a 40k difference between my appraisal and tax bill home value. so maybe it's a good year to try
Here's the real deal.....If you grieve your own taxes (easy procedure) you can't use one of these ambulance chasing tax firms to also grieve your taxes and if you do use one of these companies..you can only use one... not and never multiple... Simple answer NO

Old 02-18-2014, 01:59 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
When you submitted the application to review your taxes, you signed something, but you didn't read it.
I pulled this blurb below, straight from a big name firm here in LI; Copy and Paste with name redacted.

I agree that the [REDACTED] Tax Grievance Service, Inc. is the sole agent: If a reduction occurs for the 2013/2014 tax year and/or the 2014/2015 tax year through the efforts of anyone other than [REDACTED] Tax Grievance Service, I agree to pay the [REDACTED] Tax Grievance Service the sum of $350 for their time, efforts and expenses within 30 days.

I, (Print Name) ________________________________________, as petitioner (or officer thereof) hereby designate The [REDACTED] Tax Grievance Service, Inc., to act as my sole representative in any and all proceedings before the Board of Assessment Review and/or Small Claims assessment review of the Supreme Court, and any other proceeding pursuant to New York State Real Property Tax Law for the purpose of reviewing the assessment of my real property as it appears on the most recent assessment roll of any assessing unit for my property. This case will be submitted in May 2014. I have fully read and understand what is in the contract and what fees are due upon winning a grievance.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!

Is it that easy to grieve your own taxes?

Is it a lot of paperwork?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Perhaps you got shut out twice because you had no case.

Before you go through all this nonsense, find out what your assessment is. It should be on your tax bill.

Let's say it's $10,000. Call the assessor and find out what the Residential Ratio is (known as an RAR). Let's say its 2.0%.

You divide $10,000 by 0.02, which results in $500,000. Given these parameters, if your house is worth somewhere around $500,000, you have no case and you're wasting your time.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM

157 posts, read 285,001 times
^ Couldn't they just manipulate the "RAR" in their favor? If your house is assessed at 500k and you bought it for 400k and everyone else with a similar sized home bought theirs for 400k, then who are they to say it's still worth more?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone!

Is it that easy to grieve your own taxes?

Is it a lot of paperwork?

Thanks!
I grieved my own taxes based on other homes over-improving and being assessed the same as we are and on an issue with a creek we have. I took many pics, put them all on CD and took it to the assessor. Problem solved. If they can SEE the issue, they can deal with it better. A picture is worth a thousand words... just make sure it doesn't raise the assessment!

Just a thought from someone who did it alone, succeeded - even if I am upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island