Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM

10 posts, read 22,014 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone regarding my previous posts on my 1st home purchase permit situation. The expeditor came in and gave report see below:

There are two open permits for this property which must be closed out.
In addition we must file for the deck and stairs and an interior finish to the dormer with bath.
The kitchen on the 2nd floor must be removed.

As far as costs to legalize the deck/stairs and 2nd floor interior finish which includes all fees to The Town of Hempstead,
architectural plans, electrical inspection and plumbing permits is $ 6,042.00
Breakdown as follows:

1. Town fees: $ 2,092.00
2. Electrical inspection : $ 250.00
3. Close two open permits: $ 500.00
4. Expediting and plans; $ 2,000.00
5. Plumbing permit for bath : $ 1,200.00

It does not include any corrective work if required by inspectors and any additional permits required by Town.

I have 2 questions:
1. What corrective work could the inspector possibly have?
2. If i am going to rent out the apartment to my brother in law anyways what is the cost to legalize it as a mother daughter and does the tax rate go up? if so by how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
You're crazy if you take this on after closing, but as to what the inspector might find when he comes - just about anything. The thing has to be brought up to today's code, and if it was built in the 1960s or 1970s - well, good luck with that.

Cannot stress enough that this is the seller's responsibility. If you take this on I guarantee we will see you back here in 6 months asking for help in getting someone to re-do everything to get it up to code.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM

The sellers are dealing with it. I told them I am not signing anything until the house has a clean bill of health.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack1784 View Post
The sellers are dealing with it. I told them I am not signing anything until the house has a clean bill of health.
That's good. Hopefully the expeditor can smooth the way for them. Could be $$$ for the sellers though. At least they did get the permits in the beginning.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Good to hear they are legalizing it, mon

Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack1784 View Post
Thanks to everyone regarding my previous posts on my 1st home purchase permit situation. The expeditor came in and gave report see below:

There are two open permits for this property which must be closed out.
In addition we must file for the deck and stairs and an interior finish to the dormer with bath.
The kitchen on the 2nd floor must be removed.

As far as costs to legalize the deck/stairs and 2nd floor interior finish which includes all fees to The Town of Hempstead,
architectural plans, electrical inspection and plumbing permits is $ 6,042.00
Breakdown as follows:

1. Town fees: $ 2,092.00
2. Electrical inspection : $ 250.00
3. Close two open permits: $ 500.00
4. Expediting and plans; $ 2,000.00
5. Plumbing permit for bath : $ 1,200.00

It does not include any corrective work if required by inspectors and any additional permits required by Town.

I have 2 questions:
1. What corrective work could the inspector possibly have?
2. If i am going to rent out the apartment to my brother in law anyways what is the cost to legalize it as a mother daughter and does the tax rate go up? if so by how much?
Regarding your last question:

I am a little confused about your notation that you have to take the 2nd floor kitchen out.

Is there another kitchen in the space you are planning to rent to your brother in law? Or are you planning to (illegally) build a new kitchen after the sellers rip this one out?

As for legalizing it to a mother/daughter, you have to ask the Town of Hempstead if you CAN legalize it before you even think about costs or additional taxes.

So ask the Town of Hempstead if this house is zoned to be able to become a mother/daughter.

Even if you have other legal mother/daughters or two-family homes on the block, your house is still an individual case. (For example, I know someone who had other 2 families on the block and wanted to convert his house and he was told by the powers that be "No, there are already too many on this block.")

Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Wow .....the inspector can ask to open up walls for inspection. Bring the entire buillding elements up to today's code. The deck and stairs will need to be brought into compliance, most likely. you should ask if you can just take out the stove, assuming you want to keep the 2nd kitchen.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
WOW expect the inspector to be wearing a brown shirt

Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM

You guys are great. I keep telling my wife lets move to charlotte lol. Alot more bang for your buck!!!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
I know this thread is a year old, but if you see the post, will you tell me how you found an expeditor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island