Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM

147 posts, read 433,508 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a house in Nassau. The house is quite large in size but all the other houses on the block are about the same since they are all the same style. The taxes on my house does appear to be higher than the other houses according to public records.

I plan to grieve the taxes to match the neighbors.

Now this is my issue. The house also has an outdated kitchen. Before moving in, I would have to fix it up, maybe take down a few walls to open it up and buy new appliances.

How would these renovations affect my tax grieving process? Nothing is changing on the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
By the time you get in, you will be grieving with a deadline of March 2015 for the '16/'17 year and any increase (if you go through permits) won't catch up to you until 2 years after the permits are in anyway. It's safe to say your assessed value by this time next year when you grieve will remain what it is now. That said, interior upgrades don't always mean higher assessed value, which is good for you.

To give you an example, we finished our major renovation in '11 and only had our assessment raised this year (paying more for tax year '13/'14).

Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,896 times
Just an FYI- my understanding is that when you grieve taxes, they go by recent sales as comps, not by what your neighbors are paying. In other words, unless you have a neighbor whose house sold recently & has lower taxes, the amount your neighbors pay is basically meaningless. At least that's how it was for my FIL who very recently grieved his Nassau taxes...

Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
Go to the Nassau County website and print off the form for grieving taxes.

You'll see that you'll need to provide sold comps in your area to prove that your home should be assessed at a lower value vis a vis sold comps.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Just an FYI- my understanding is that when you grieve taxes, they go by recent sales as comps, not by what your neighbors are paying.
That doesn't sound fair at all. So if the OP claims that his neighbors have the same size/style home and are paying lower taxes, that isn't taken into consideration in determining his taxes? Wouldn't those be the ones that most accurately reflect the value of his own (same block/same size/same style)? Unfair

Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
That doesn't sound fair at all. So if the OP claims that his neighbors have the same size/style home and are paying lower taxes, that isn't taken into consideration in determining his taxes? Wouldn't those be the ones that most accurately reflect the value of his own (same block/same size/same style)? Unfair
No, doesn't seem fair at all but that's how it is...also the price you buy a house for is considered the value and taxes are based on that. So if you buy a house for 500k and your taxes are in line with what they should be for a 500k house, it's hard to then argue that you should get a reduction in taxes, regardless of sold comps. Down the road, yes, you can use this argument, but not when you first buy your house.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,602 times
If the OP is purchasing this year and is worried about running up against the deadline he/she can have the current owners file the grievance now, also like someone mentioned it's not about the value of your neighbors' homes but more about the comps and since you're purchasing now you should have been given comps for your mortgage to justify the purchase price. You can use those comps for your grievance

Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM

What if I don't file for permits for the interior renovations? I am just taking down an interior wall and buying new appliances and retile the floor.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
What if I don't file for permits for the interior renovations? I am just taking down an interior wall and buying new appliances and retile the floor.
You would be like most other people who do interior work then - if it's not a load-bearing wall which may require re-work, I wouldn't worry about it. Your assessment would then only change if they feel your purchase price affected it. Doubtful it will, but the town did tell me they are re-assessing everyone for '16/'17.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
You would be like most other people who do interior work then - if it's not a load-bearing wall which may require re-work, I wouldn't worry about it. Your assessment would then only change if they feel your purchase price affected it. Doubtful it will, but the town did tell me they are re-assessing everyone for '16/'17.

What if it is a load bearing wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island