Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:05 PM

480 posts, read 669,299 times

Advertisements

What do you all think? Looking for a Long Island job as well hopefully close to these areas:

Yaphank
Patchogue
Bellport
East Northport

Range: 200-300,000.
Anyone else live in homes in those areas and how are the monthly payments and expenses and are jobs good in those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
With the exception of E. Northport (which doesn't generally have houses in your stated price range, and is significantly nicer with substantially better schools than the other 3 areas listed, so I have no clue how it ended up on your list), they're all just working class towns. Bellport's probably the worst of the three, and then Patchogue and Yaphank are probably about the same as far as the socioeconomic class of your neighbors is concerned - Yaphank just has a more rural flavor, while Patchogue is more built-up.

I don't understand why you're obsessively posting about something that's not even going to happen for two years though - a million things could change between now and then that would affect your ability to purchase a home, as well as where you'd need that home to be located.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
E.Northport is nice. Bellport is a crazy town. Most of the parts by Post Avenue I would stay away from. As you head south of Montauk Hwy it gets better but the price goes up. Patchogue also is varied. The eastern part is pretty much the same as Bellport. Yaphank is okay to so so. If you could find something for the same price in all towns, i'd go to E.Northport every time. Otherwise check out towns like the north part of Coram, Selden, Sound Beach, Rocky Point, Port Jefferson Station (especially behind Heatherwood Golf course and away from the train station).

Depending on your resume, most jobs will probably be west of most of these towns unless you get a job with Brookhaven National Lab or one of the utilities.

You can check purchase prices on these sites:
Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent - realtor.com®
Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

Good Luck !!!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,001 times
2 years from now a lot can happen......

Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Please try and keep your posts to one of the many topics you've already started on this issue. It seems that a new thought pops into your head and you immediately need to create anew thread to ask about it...after you've already asked in your previous thread. Your questions will get answered if you just continue posting in one thread, we don't need 7 threads on the main page about this same topic. Plus, as others have stated, you're 2 years or so from moving and a LOT could change by then. Patience, padawan.

As for the towns, East Northport is very nice, but you wouldn't be able to afford it on your projected purchase price. The other towns are on the lower end of the spectrum, especially Bellport, avoid it at all costs.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:36 AM

167 posts, read 305,599 times
Throw Holtsville and Holbrook in there. I think Sachem SD is far superior to Pat-Med, Bellport or South Country.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
As someone mentioned above, you can keep your questions to one thread. Two years is a long ways from now. HeII, I didn't even know I was buying a house two years ago. Didn't know I'd be engaged either.

With that said, East Northport is very beautiful and completely different than the other three mentioned. We lived in East Northport for a year, and would've loved to live there, but the houses were out of our budget.

If you're looking at Patchogue, look at the overall Sachem school district (parts of Ronkonkoma and Lake Ronkonkoma, Farmingville, Holtsville, Holbrook), look into Connetquot school district as well.

We are in the Sachem school district and we both work west. The commute in the morning isn't too bad, but the afternoon could be dicey, which is why I leave earlier from work than I used to when I was living in East Northport.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 AM

480 posts, read 669,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Please try and keep your posts to one of the many topics you've already started on this issue. It seems that a new thought pops into your head and you immediately need to create anew thread to ask about it...after you've already asked in your previous thread. Your questions will get answered if you just continue posting in one thread, we don't need 7 threads on the main page about this same topic. Plus, as others have stated, you're 2 years or so from moving and a LOT could change by then. Patience, padawan.

As for the towns, East Northport is very nice, but you wouldn't be able to afford it on your projected purchase price. The other towns are on the lower end of the spectrum, especially Bellport, avoid it at all costs.
What are some other places in western Suffolk? I am interested in hearing some town names. It all depends where I am working as well as my fiancé at that time.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
At risk of getting in trouble....seriously???? You have started numerous threads about this and it's TWO YEARS AWAY!!!! Please PLEASE keep your questions to one thread and I'm sure people will answer for you.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
What are some other places in western Suffolk? I am interested in hearing some town names. It all depends where I am working as well as my fiancé at that time.
Look at a map! Determine where you'd like to be (maybe drive out to Suffolk one day and see the towns in question).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island