Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
They really think people are going to walk to the train from there?
Yup! Of course there's always the car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM

163 posts, read 246,033 times
Wow, that shuttle idea is a good one. Makes perfect sense to me.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS99 View Post
Wow, that shuttle idea is a good one. Makes perfect sense to me.

That's what I thought, which is why I asked about it... Guess that goes under the heading of "common sense", something I'm seeing less and less of.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That's what I thought, which is why I asked about it... Guess that goes under the heading of "common sense", something I'm seeing less and less of.
Having a 24 hour shuttle for tenants to the LIRR might be kinda expensive ya think? They'd need more than one bus and driver for starters. There are plenty of taxis. If I lived there, I would just take a taxi home after dark I guess. I would only park a real hoopty at the station that nobody would ever want to bother with.

Common sense for Huntington Town would be to FINALLY, FINALLY crack down on the flophouses and other types of illegal and/or overcrowded housing that harbor the dirtbags that are the ones who make it a problem in the first place to walk to and from the station. THAT would be getting to the heart of the problem IMO. But Huntington drags its heels because the officials are in bed with the slumlords and people have known that for decades, but they still keep electing the old guard. Get rid of the criminals and gangbangers, and as they find nowhere to live, the parts of Huntington Station that have problems will clean up and then normal people could be happy over there.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Having a 24 hour shuttle for tenants to the LIRR might be kinda expensive ya think? They'd need more than one bus and driver for starters. There are plenty of taxis. If I lived there, I would just take a taxi home after dark I guess. I would only park a real hoopty at the station that nobody would ever want to bother with.

I never suggested a 24-hr shuttle; agree that could be prohibitive. Could work during "commuter hours" though; 2-3 hrs in the morning and same in the evening.

BTW, parked my car there many years (in the garage on the south side) and don't drive a "hoopty"

Old 03-13-2014, 03:34 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:

Common sense for Huntington Town would be to FINALLY, FINALLY crack down on the flophouses and other types of illegal and/or overcrowded housing that harbor the dirtbags that are the ones who make it a problem in the first place to walk to and from the station. THAT would be getting to the heart of the problem IMO. But Huntington drags its heels because the officials are in bed with the slumlords and people have known that for decades, but they still keep electing the old guard. Get rid of the criminals and gangbangers, and as they find nowhere to live, the parts of Huntington Station that have problems will clean up and then normal people could be happy over there.
They could offer shuttle service just during rush hours. I guarantee if they did that the apartments would fill up. Like I said, the apartments themselves are actually in an ok area but a lot of people are going to be hesitant to walk to/from the train after dark.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I never suggested a 24-hr shuttle; agree that could be prohibitive. Could work during "commuter hours" though; 2-3 hrs in the morning and same in the evening.

BTW, parked my car there many years (in the garage on the south side) and don't drive a "hoopty"
I have actually never heard of anyone having a problem at the train station.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,815 times
Quote:
I would only park a real hoopty at the station that nobody would ever want to bother with.

Common sense for Huntington Town would be to FINALLY, FINALLY crack down on the flophouses and other types of illegal and/or overcrowded housing.
I agree with the station car idea but it's bcs people will dent/ding/scratch your car in that parking lot. Probably the same is true in other lots but people have hit my husband's car on multiple occasions. It's like street parking in the city. The last person who hit his car drove a Mercedes and attempted to leave the scene.

I do agree about the illegal housing and elected officials though.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I agree with the station car idea but it's bcs people will dent/ding/scratch your car in that parking lot. Probably the same is true in other lots but people have hit my husband's car on multiple occasions. It's like street parking in the city. The last person who hit his car drove a Mercedes and attempted to leave the scene.

I do agree about the illegal housing and elected officials though.
Lol- yes, that's exactly the types of stories I hear about parking at the train station! There must be a big police presence patrolling the station...

Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I have actually never heard of anyone having a problem at the train station.
I should explain:

1. I am relying on other people's anecdotal evidence/stories as in "oooh it's bad around that train station" so I am ASSuming that if you park a nice car there you are taking a risk. Apparently NOT!

2. From my own experience in the past, I have vowed it is safer to park a hoopty at ANY train station all day. I used to live in Massapequa and park at that station. One day I got off the train to find a lot of cars had their windshields and windows smashed in like someone hit them with baseball bats. It was a horrible sight! I had a hoopty. They left my hoopty alone even though they smashed both the cars next to me! (They probably thought it was ugly enough!) No smashed windows! I was very young at the time and insurance was expensive, so a hoopty was the best thing money wise for me then. I was very grateful as I only had basic insurance on it; no comp and collision and certainly no full glass coverage. From then on, I figured even if I had a nice car, having a station car too was worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island