Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 AM

426 posts, read 962,456 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Have a question for you all, and was looking for some advice. Recently I applied for a position in Manhattan that would pay about 10K more than I currently make at my job in LI. The job I applied for is not a promotional opportunity or advancement, but the same job I do now.

However, 10K seems nice, and the benefits are better, but to me there are some disadvantages. First, my commuting time would almost more than double (from a 30 min car ride to about an hour and a half train ride), in addition to the commuting expenses.

Between paying for a monthly LIRR ticket (from Huntington station) and monthly Metro card the commuting expenses would be about $5200 a year, in essence wiping out over half of the 10K raise I would be getting.

That is not even including what would be taken out in taxes either. So what am I left with?? Maybe see about 2-3K of that 10?

However, I obviously would not be driving everyday, thus saving a lot of money on gas, I fill up twice a week so thats about $100 a week I'd be saving. I would just drive on the weekend mostly.

What does everyone think? Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 AM

791 posts, read 1,626,751 times
It's a numbers game. Right now your commute costs you, it sounds like, about $425/month ($100/week on gas, and most months are slightly longer than 4 weeks). In contrast, an LIRR monthly ticket from Huntington ($325) + monthly Metrocard ($112) = $437. Since your commute is basically a wash, money-wise, you'll be making about $6-7K, after taxes, more than you make now, and your commute will triple. Is tripling your commute worth an extra $500/month in your paycheck? That's for you to decide.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,897,407 times
Much more time involved in NYC for only a couple grand doesnt sound worth it but, may be a great oppurtunity to network and find an even better job. 3 hours a day commuting has to be awful though.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,924,990 times
I've always maintained that they'd need to pay me over 20-30k more to do the 3-hr roundtrip everyday. My wife does it - there's hardly any time for family other than weekends. I wouldn't begin to look in the city unless I'm desperate. Maybe if I were in my early 20s where opportunities and ceilings out there were nearly unlimited, but not these days - not worth it for me. If you feel there's more advancement at that job and you're under 30, consider it regardless of pay.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 AM

426 posts, read 962,456 times
Yea, it would be nice for an extra 20-30K however this position is not a promotional position (wish it were) but its the same job I do now, just about 10K more, because historically the city pays more so they know that in order to attract people from LI, they have to offer more money.

I guess InfoSeeker you may be right....money wise the commute might be a wash (gas versus train) but commuting TIME is the key here......I would be ditching a half hour commute by car right now for about an hour and a half train ride into the city from Huntington. 3 hours round trip.

Is it worth it for 10K?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 AM

133 posts, read 251,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Yea, it would be nice for an extra 20-30K however this position is not a promotional position (wish it were) but its the same job I do now, just about 10K more, because historically the city pays more so they know that in order to attract people from LI, they have to offer more money.

I guess InfoSeeker you may be right....money wise the commute might be a wash (gas versus train) but commuting TIME is the key here......I would be ditching a half hour commute by car right now for about an hour and a half train ride into the city from Huntington. 3 hours round trip.

Is it worth it for 10K?
Remember you can pay for your commute with transit check pre tax up about about 130$ which is better then nothing.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM

4,700 posts, read 8,783,021 times
The decrease in quality of life is not worth that amount of money IMO.

But if this job (or any others that you might come across) might offer more opportunity long term from a career path or networking perspective, then it might be worth it to make a lateral move.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM

791 posts, read 1,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post

Is it worth it for 10K?
I don't think anyone here can really answer that for you, as everyone's preferences/tolerances are different.

Personally, I really dislike driving - I'd rather spend two hours on a train than spend one hour driving in rush hour traffic - so from my perspective, making more money and having a commute that is less aggravating to me would make sense (hence the reason I work in NYC).

Also, in my field, a lateral move to NYC from LI almost always means an upgrade in the quality of work assignments, since the bigger/better/more sophisticated clients hire NYC companies to do my kind of work for them, so I prefer working in NYC for that reason as well. Think about whether the scope of your work would change/be improved by the new position, even if the title/level is basically the same as your current job (and also think about whether that's something that matters to you).

Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,730,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I don't think anyone here can really answer that for you, as everyone's preferences/tolerances are different.

Personally, I really dislike driving - I'd rather spend two hours on a train than spend one hour driving in rush hour traffic - so from my perspective, making more money and having a commute that is less aggravating to me would make sense (hence the reason I work in NYC).

Also, in my field, a lateral move to NYC from LI almost always means an upgrade in the quality of work assignments, since the bigger/better/more sophisticated clients hire NYC companies to do my kind of work for them, so I prefer working in NYC for that reason as well. Think about whether the scope of your work would change/be improved by the new position, even if the title/level is basically the same as your current job (and also think about whether that's something that matters to you).
Stop stealing my answers, doggone it!

Basically everything InfoSeeker said.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM

8,712 posts, read 11,126,954 times
^^
me too, I am not use to driving at all daily.

Most important, how is the new company? Its the intangibles that can make the huge difference. I would decline 10k or 20k...or more to work in a awful atmosphere. Ask to meet with people you will work with....it will look good how serious you are about the position.

You mentioned its the same job...is there any room for advancement compare to your current job? I usually try to look at the big picture.

Slightly off topic....THIS is a prime example how people who are pro MTA can't get why the cost of public transportation is out of control. When it eats up such a large % of most people's salary, it is really killing everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island