Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,441 times

Advertisements

If the cost (both $$$ and quality of life) makes it a wash to you, why not just decline the offer and see if the NYC employer sweetens the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Stop stealing my answers, doggone it!

Basically everything InfoSeeker said.
is it stealing when everyone is agreeing? perhaps CD LI people just like to disagree & argue

Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,256 times
It depends. Do you have kids? Does your family have a second income? If yes to either question, then I'd say it's not worth it.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM

426 posts, read 960,529 times
I do not have kids.....I'm in my early 30's, not married, and I rent.

I am not sure if I would be willing to relocate (I am sure that is one of the questions they will ask me on my interview) because moving to Manhattan or even Queens is more pricey, however if it is near a subway line, that would subtract the LIRR costs....

But then I would have to pay city taxes if I lived in Queens which is about 3-4% of your salary!!!.....Aaaarggghh!!!!

So damn hard to get ahead!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
For me, it would not be worth it, regardless of salary. I did the math, and if I was commuting to NYC every day, my life would be basically working, commuting, and sleeping. Not worth it for any salary, unless I had absolutely no other choice.

A few other things to keep in mind:

Most NYC firms expect longer hours than LI firms.

At least in my field (not sure if this is universal), although NYC firms have a higher salary, they tend to have poorer benefits than LI firms (more expensive but lower quality health insurance, less vacation time, fewer holidays, and are less family friendly in general)

Most NYC firms have formal dress codes, but most LI firms are more casual. That means that your wardrobe will cost more if you work in NYC (subtract that from your salary), and you'll be required to wear less comfortable clothing.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM

344 posts, read 717,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Most NYC firms have formal dress codes, but most LI firms are more casual. That means that your wardrobe will cost more if you work in NYC (subtract that from your salary), and you'll be required to wear less comfortable clothing.
I have found it to be the reverse in the legal profession.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
I have found it to be the reverse in the legal profession.
Are you saying that in the legal profession, NYC firms have casual dress codes and LI firms have formal dress codes? That's very surprising. I wonder why that is.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
is it stealing when everyone is agreeing? perhaps CD LI people just like to disagree & argue
I just meant she hit all the points I was going to make in the same successive order.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
It really depends on the field. I know someone who works for a very corporate environment on the Island and is business casual. He went into the city for an interview and that corporate environment is more progressive with people in t-shirts and open concept working areas. Even dogs and cats were allowed in the office.

Personally, I know that my job makes at least 15-20k more in the city. Would I take it? Depends on other benefits I would get. Room for advancement, health insurance, etc. They'd have to offer much more in terms of the whole package to me than my LI job if I was to take a city job.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
It really depends on the field. I know someone who works for a very corporate environment on the Island and is business casual. He went into the city for an interview and that corporate environment is more progressive with people in t-shirts and open concept working areas. Even dogs and cats were allowed in the office.
That is a good point. It probably depends on the individual firm. But, in general, NYC firms have more formal dress codes, expect longer hours, and give higher salaries but poorer benefits.

One other thing to keep in mind is that in NYC, looks matter more than in LI. They prefer tall men and thin women. Depending on how you look, that can be an advantage or a disadvantage. Based on those criteria, I'm better off in LI. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island