Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
No I haven't contacted them yet since they are still only three days old, not yet opening their eyes. I am going to wait until they get a bit older and see how they are doing. I read on a message board that NSAL is very selective on what animals they accept so I don't have a lot of hope they will be an option.
North Shore will take them, trust me. Not the mother though, because she's mostly feral and wouldn't make a good pet. Have you ever gone there during kitten season? I've gone so many times--they have mother cats with kittens or just the kittens. They were always strays. In fact, when we got our cat from there, they had no history on her because someone just left her on the steps in a box.

And they do adopt out kittens and puppies that have minor infections, minor health issues or heart murmurs so I don't think they're overly selective. Each time we went when we were interested in a kitten or puppy, there was always one or 2 that had heart murmurs. I've seen several cats there there that had serious health issues and only the vet was allowed to feed them. I've seen wounded kitties with one eye, too. Would be bad for business if they turned animals away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What about family, friends or neighbors? Would they be interested? I think I'd get too attached and end up keeping them LOL
No I don't know anyone that might want a kitten, at least that I can think of. I have two young pet cats already so at best I could think of keeping one. Six cats would put me in cat hoarder territory though.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
No I don't know anyone that might want a kitten, at least that I can think of. I have two young pet cats already so at best I could think of keeping one. Six cats would put me in cat hoarder territory though.
The young cats are ok with the stray and her babies? I tried a few years ago to adopt another kitten from NS (he had a heart murmur and the spunkiest personality) but my cat was very aggressive with him. Had to give him up.

yeah, 6 cats is a bit much.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The young cats are ok with the stray and her babies? I tried a few years ago to adopt another kitten from NS (he had a heart murmur and the spunkiest personality) but my cat was very aggressive with him. Had to give him up.

yeah, 6 cats is a bit much.
The are OK with her as they got used to her coming around to eat when they were kittens. The feral cat will growl and swat them if they get too close but they don't fight.

I'm glad to hear NSAL would probably take the new kittens. I assume I would have to get them vaccinated and whatever else is needed before NSAL would take them or do they do that?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,110,626 times
Quote:
The are OK with her as they got used to her coming around to eat when they were kittens. The feral cat will growl and swat them if they get too close but they don't fight.

I'm glad to hear NSAL would probably take the new kittens. I assume I would have to get them vaccinated and whatever else is needed before NSAL would take them or do they do that?
You honestly need to make contacts now, so that you aren't stuck in a bind when the time comes they are ready to go and no shelter will take them. Because once they reach a certain age, and that's shortly after they aren't so tiny and cute, they are MUCH MUCH less likely to get adopted quickly. KWIM? Please contact North Shore now to see if they will take them and when, explain the situation and let them guide you. I beg you to make your contacts now to find a place that will guarantee you to take them. You don't want to have to scramble last minute when the time comes and waste time, b/c their chances of begin adopted SEVERELY diminish the larger they get.

This happened to someone I know. Waited too long, missed the window of opportunity to get a spot in a shelter, and once they grew too large the shelters did not want them. She never found a shelter to take them, it wasn't a good senario.

Please make the calls now to secure a spot somewhere! Unless you of course want to keep them. Also start thinking about having the stray (Which really doesnt sound that feral to me), spayed when the time is right (again has to be a certain amt of time after having babies, since she is healing inside, hormones are producing milk to feed her babies, etc).

Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
You honestly need to make contacts now, so that you aren't stuck in a bind when the time comes they are ready to go and no shelter will take them. Because once they reach a certain age, and that's shortly after they aren't so tiny and cute, they are MUCH MUCH less likely to get adopted quickly. KWIM? Please contact North Shore now to see if they will take them and when, explain the situation and let them guide you. I beg you to make your contacts now to find a place that will guarantee you to take them. You don't want to have to scramble last minute when the time comes and waste time, b/c their chances of begin adopted SEVERELY diminish the larger they get.

This happened to someone I know. Waited too long, missed the window of opportunity to get a spot in a shelter, and once they grew too large the shelters did not want them. She never found a shelter to take them, it wasn't a good senario.

Please make the calls now to secure a spot somewhere! Unless you of course want to keep them. Also start thinking about having the stray (Which really doesnt sound that feral to me), spayed when the time is right (again has to be a certain amt of time after having babies, since she is healing inside, hormones are producing milk to feed her babies, etc).
Also don't touch the kittens. Sometimes the mother cat will reject them if she picks up a humans scent.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I'm not really sure. I would think that they handle all of that but give them a call and let them know about the kittens.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post

I don't think NS will turn them away. We got our cat from there and she was about a year and a half old. I've also seen many animals there will sicknesses or disabilities. OP can just bring them there and say he found them abandoned. They won't be turned away at NS, especially since they have the cat habitat dedicated just to cats. I know smaller shelters get full quickly.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 AM

I'll call NSAL once the kittens at least open their eyes. I doubt they would make any commitment as to whether they would take them but at least I'll know if they say no.

The mother cat is feral but she trusts me to a certain extent. She grew up as a kitten outdoors with no human handling until she was over a year old. It took her a year before she would get close to me when she ate and the first few times I tried to pet/touch her she reacted like she was shot. She still runs away from me when she is outside but she recently starting coming in if she was hungry and the weather was bad. I'd say she is now part feral/part stray in terms of temperment at this point, not that it really makes a difference.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:12 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,110,626 times
Quote:
I'll call NSAL once the kittens at least open their eyes. I doubt they would make any commitment as to whether they would take them but at least I'll know if they say no.

The mother cat is feral but she trusts me to a certain extent. She grew up as a kitten outdoors with no human handling until she was over a year old. It took her a year before she would get close to me when she ate and the first few times I tried to pet/touch her she reacted like she was shot. She still runs away from me when she is outside but she recently starting coming in if she was hungry and the weather was bad. I'd say she is now part feral/part stray in terms of temperment at this point, not that it really makes a difference.
I didn't realize you had such a history with the mom. That's great news. Maybe after this is all settled and she isn't nursing you can trap spay and neuter? Again, that can't be done for a certain period after she has had the kittens and is nursing. But she can get pregnant very quickly again. This is where I would talk to a vet again about what your timeframes are.

Definitely call North Shore. I have dealt with them years ago, and I am surprised they take kittens in so easily. I hope for your sake they do. But again, they may NEED to be fairly small so they know they have a quick chance at adoption. Just call and see so you know what you'll be dealing with when the time is right.

Again, thank you for being a caring member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island