Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Also don't touch the kittens. Sometimes the mother cat will reject them if she picks up a humans scent.
This happened to our family when I was a child. Yes, this absolutely happens. Or the mom will remove them one by one and go hide them somewhere to keep the hands off. And you don't want that, random animals will harm or eat them if they get moved to the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
This happened to our family when I was a child. Yes, this absolutely happens. Or the mom will remove them one by one and go hide them somewhere to keep the hands off. And you don't want that, random animals will harm or eat them if they get moved to the outdoors.
A mother cat had 3 in my basement and now they live here and greet me every day when I get home from work and at 6am for their first feeding. The raccoons do too at night. With a constant food supply, usually the raccoons will coexist and leave the cats alone. With limited food, the game changes.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
A mother cat had 3 in my basement and now they live here and greet me every day when I get home from work and at 6am for their first feeding. The raccoons do too at night. With a constant food supply, usually the raccoons will coexist and leave the cats alone. With limited food, the game changes.
Curious if you feed the raccoons too? If so, how and what?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'll call NSAL once the kittens at least open their eyes. I doubt they would make any commitment as to whether they would take them but at least I'll know if they say no.
You're going into kitten season. Best off call NSAL early and see if you can't get a spot for them in advance than have them turn you away later.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're going into kitten season. Best off call NSAL early and see if you can't get a spot for them in advance than have them turn you away later.
I agree. That's also what I said, but other posters were giving this poster false security that he won't be turned away. I agree with you, YES< he can be turned away if they are at capacity. As I said a few times earlier, call now and find out what will be when the time comes. It's extremely important.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
I've seen raccoons eat cat food. So will opossums.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
All About Cats Long Island Adoption

Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Cats, raccoons, birds, and possum all eat the crunchy cat food. The raccoons scoop it up as if they are getting water from a stream by cupping their hands. It's pretty interesting to watch. They aren't even interested in the cats.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,088,530 times
Update: I've got an appointment with NSAL in ten days to evaluate the kittens for adoption. I know NSAL is selective in the animals they accept. The kittens are all healthy, litter box trained, and friendly with me. I can pick them up but they will start to squeal for me to put them down. They do come up to me on their own and let me pet them. I live alone and don't know how they would be with other people.

My question is does anyone have any experience with North Shore's process for evaluating kittens? I'd expect the kittens will be nervous just from going on a half hour car ride. Would North Shore turn down healthy kittens if they don't take right away with the person checking them out? Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Update: I've got an appointment with NSAL in ten days to evaluate the kittens for adoption. I know NSAL is selective in the animals they accept. The kittens are all healthy, litter box trained, and friendly with me. I can pick them up but they will start to squeal for me to put them down. They do come up to me on their own and let me pet them. I live alone and don't know how they would be with other people.

My question is does anyone have any experience with North Shore's process for evaluating kittens? I'd expect the kittens will be nervous just from going on a half hour car ride. Would North Shore turn down healthy kittens if they don't take right away with the person checking them out? Thanks for any advice.
I am not sure but I sure hope they accept them! Did you ever call previously and did they instruct you on what age to bring them in? I looked back and your OP was almost 2 months ago. I think North Shore should know well enough that kittens might be fearful in that setting. They are not feral by any means, they are just regular kittens. I don't think you need to worry about that. Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island