Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Really? It's my opinion that though there are roughly the same number of houses available in Centerport & Greenlawn, there are only 9 over $600k in Greenlawn (but plenty under $600k) while there are 25 over $600k in Centerport? But as mvres pointed out, this is a silly discussion anyway since it's not like either Centerport or Greenlawn are overwhelmingly wealthy areas like Old Westbury or Brookville (or even Dix Hills for that matter). But if you want to think of Greenlawn as a wealthy area, then that's your right.
Why isn't the census now enough for you? I posted all the census data for each area. Why does that mean nothing now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
A full finished basement with a bath and that pool could easily cost 70k alone. Add the high end kitchen and others and its much more. Those beach pics do make cpt very desirable but not too sure id be thrilled with that backyard. Does the cpt house have a basement?
Yes, and the description says partially finished. No pics but that's what it says. The CPT home just needs some updates. Even if you added a full bath in the basement, and a pool, and just did some basic updates like carpeting and painting, that CPT home would not sell for more than mid 500s at most. Look at both kitchens. The CPT kitchen is updated also, just needs some updated decor in the rooms, so don't let that cloud your view of the home. The lots in CPT are not really more "desirable" on the whole than much of Greenlawn, due to lack of yards. That keeps the real estate values similar to Greenlawn (esp village area, North Greenlawn). That's my whole point in this thread. There is no consensus that anyone who looks in the district should pick CPT over all else simply b/c it's *CPT*. It does not have THAT extreme level of prestige or difference than many other parts of the the district and if a few who are the minority believe that, well that doesn't make it a fact or a consensus. It's personal opinion.

I want to say to the OP to go see for himself, but it's difficult to really get a feel and understand unless you know the district and neighborhoods well.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Really? It's my opinion that though there are roughly the same number of houses available in Centerport & Greenlawn, there are only 9 over $600k in Greenlawn (but plenty under $600k) while there are 25 over $600k in Centerport? But as mvres pointed out, this is a silly discussion anyway since it's not like either Centerport or Greenlawn are overwhelmingly wealthy areas like Old Westbury or Brookville (or even Dix Hills for that matter). But if you want to think of Greenlawn as a wealthy area, then that's your right.
I don't think I would call Greenlawn a wealthy area (yet there is much wealth there) but it's certainly not a low budget area! Just as I don't consider most of CPT wealthy despite the wealth there, however it's not low budget either. Incomes and demographics are pretty similar. You can find professionals and blue collar workers in BOTH areas, yes. And most people I know from CPT (or any other HF area) shop at Target and bargain hunt just like many folks in Greenlawn. It's all pretty similar, despite the disparity you are stating or creating in this thread.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I don't think I would call Greenlawn a wealthy area (yet there is much wealth there) but it's certainly not a low budget area! Just as I don't consider most of CPT wealthy despite the wealth there, however it's not low budget either. Incomes and demographics are pretty similar. You can find professionals and blue collar workers in BOTH areas, yes. And most people I know from CPT (or any other HF area) shop at Target and bargain hunt just like many folks in Greenlawn. It's all pretty similar, despite the disparity you are stating or creating in this thread.
Agreed. I feel people are over estimating the money in Centerport and underestimating some of the wealth in the surrounding areas.

Yeah some will only pay 600k for a "home," but then they knock it down to build a custom home. The area isn't known for its abundance of large, newer homes which usually have higher asking prices. We can only purchase what is available and rebuild or renovate. There are a few 1.5+ million homes on the market in Centerport, but they've been sitting there for a couple years if I'm not mistaken.

My favorite home in the district is right by Carpenter Park. The homeowners paid over a mill for it and then did a huge addition/reno which had to cost another million.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
Quote:
Why isn't the census now enough for you? I posted all the census data for each area. Why does that mean nothing now?
I posted census data as well- you don't seem to be understanding that I think you have to look at the overall picture of Greenlawn when determining it's reputation. You think the reputation should be determined by looking only at specific areas. We have different opinions on this- it doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Isn't Dix Hills 11746? The same zip as Huntington Station?

Besides, you get more for your money in Dix Hills: bigger plots, newer and bigger homes compared to the HF area. Taxes seem less too for some reason.
LOL- the only thing Dix Hills has in common with Huntington Station is the zip code. No, Dix Hills is not Huntington Station. It is an entirely separate hamlet. And of the homes on the market right now, over 20% are over $1 million (I am including the much less expensive areas with Commack schools in this number- the percentage would be even higher if you just look at DH with HHH schools). That means 1 in 5 homes are over a million. No matter how you spin it, Dix Hills is a wealthier area. And it is not Huntington Station lol.

Are taxes really less in Dix Hills? I'm surprised considering that their school budget is much higher than Harborfields...

Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, and the description says partially finished. No pics but that's what it says. The CPT home just needs some updates. Even if you added a full bath in the basement, and a pool, and just did some basic updates like carpeting and painting, that CPT home would not sell for more than mid 500s at most. Look at both kitchens. The CPT kitchen is updated also, just needs some updated decor in the rooms, so don't let that cloud your view of the home. The lots in CPT are not really more "desirable" on the whole than much of Greenlawn, due to lack of yards. That keeps the real estate values similar to Greenlawn (esp village area, North Greenlawn). That's my whole point in this thread. There is no consensus that anyone who looks in the district should pick CPT over all else simply b/c it's *CPT*. It does not have THAT extreme level of prestige or difference than many other parts of the the district and if a few who are the minority believe that, well that doesn't make it a fact or a consensus. It's personal opinion.

I want to say to the OP to go see for himself, but it's difficult to really get a feel and understand unless you know the district and neighborhoods well.
Im afraid you're actually making the case for Centerport house being more expensive with this comparison- there is certainly more than 70k value in the Greenlawn house. The pool + landscaping alone could be close to 70k!!

The Centerport house has one bathroom while the Greenlawn house has 2 bathrooms, with one being en suite in the master bedroom (both have basement bathrooms as well but those aren't a part of the main living spaces & bedrooms). This is a HUGE difference as a one bathroom house has considerably less value than a 2 bathroom house.

The Centerport house has no den, just a living room while the Greenlawn house has both.

The Greenlawn house has a more desirable open-floor plan than the Centerport house.

The Greenlawn house has a much newer, more high-end kitchen. The Centerport kitchen looks very dated & is likely 20 years old.

The Greenlawn house has much nicer, more updated bathrooms.

The Greenlawn has expensive crown molding & trim throughout.

The Greenlawn property is twice the size of the Centerport one & is more useable.

Obviously, the Greenlawn house has a pool; the Centerport house doesn't even appear to have room for one.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 AM

"Recent" sales show that yes obviously the waterfront (Centerport) locations command more money, but the other towns (Huntington & Greenlawn) also have a strong draw. And again, just because someone else prefers Centerport because it's "near" water and is willing to pay a premium for that doesn't mean the rest of us have that same desire, nor does it translate to affordability. You can have someone making 250k a year who opts for the 800k house in Centerport and the person who makes 1 million a year opting for the 800k house in Greenlawn/Huntington and renovates/rebuilds or even does nothing at all.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 04-02-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
LOL- the only thing Dix Hills has in common with Huntington Station is the zip code. No, Dix Hills is not Huntington Station. It is an entirely separate hamlet. And of the homes on the market right now, over 20% are over $1 million (I am including the much less expensive areas with Commack schools in this number- the percentage would be even higher if you just look at DH with HHH schools). That means 1 in 5 homes are over a million. No matter how you spin it, Dix Hills is a wealthier area. And it is not Huntington Station lol.

Are taxes really less in Dix Hills? I'm surprised considering that their school budget is much higher than Harborfields...
Yes, I believe it's a lower tax rate...perhaps because the area/SD is more populated?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Im afraid you're actually making the case for Centerport house being more expensive with this comparison- there is certainly more than 70k value in the Greenlawn house. The pool + landscaping alone could be close to 70k!!

The Centerport house has one bathroom while the Greenlawn house has 2 bathrooms, with one being en suite in the master bedroom (both have basement bathrooms as well but those aren't a part of the main living spaces & bedrooms). This is a HUGE difference as a one bathroom house has considerably less value than a 2 bathroom house.

The Centerport house has no den, just a living room while the Greenlawn house has both.

The Greenlawn house has a more desirable open-floor plan than the Centerport house.

The Greenlawn house has a much newer, more high-end kitchen. The Centerport kitchen looks very dated & is likely 20 years old.

The Greenlawn house has much nicer, more updated bathrooms.

The Greenlawn has expensive crown molding & trim throughout.

The Greenlawn property is twice the size of the Centerport one & is more useable.

Obviously, the Greenlawn house has a pool; the Centerport house doesn't even appear to have room for one.

The Greenlawn home still sold for $70,000 more. Even if the Centerport home needed 100K in renovations to be on par with the Greenlawn home, that's still only $30k above the Greenlawn home. That's not that much of a difference when the CPT home also has a beach association you can join. Point is, you are making it sound like Centerport homes command a sizable amt, such as $100,000 or more, simply for location when it just does not. If the level of desirability were as you are making CPT out to be, then this WOULD be the case. If you know real estate in the area, again, you would see these 2 homes would attract SIMILAR buyers based on bedrooms, at least 2 baths, price point, lot size, home style, etc.

Someone may choose the Greenlawn home b/c they want a pool or to be walking distance to the "village", library, etc. Someone may choose the CPT home b/c they like the hilly, more private lots and want to be part of a beach association and have no interest in putting in a pool. To make it sound like the 2 homes i posted are like night and day is not seeing the big picture of the types of homes for sale in BOTH areas and the homes these buyers would attract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island