Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:51 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
My point was simply this - I live in Dix Hills, and when people start making their elitist comments I always say the same thing - "we live in Dix Hills - it is nice, but it ain't Brookville, so settle down."
I agree. While the waterfront properties of CPT are amazing, the rest of the Vanderbilt properties rival much of other acre zoned areas of the district. That's exactly my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
*sigh* "Wrong again?" I am not saying your experience is wrong- why do you continually feel the need to attack my experience?

In the post about Old Westbury & Brookville I was making a joke. I highly doubt anyone who could afford those places would be looking in Centerport or Greenlawn & I would think everyone can agree on that.
Although the majority most likely wouldn't look in the Harborfields vicinity, we do have a number of families who could live in the Brookville/Old Westbury area if they wanted to. When questioned as to why they chose "here," there answer was "because we like it here." Their are a number of high level execs, lawyers, investment bankers and such that chose this community.

I'm interested to see what will become of 50 Mariners Court...if they'll raze the property or just update it.

We have a neighbor who built a 2 plus million dollar home. Their taxes are over 50k.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 03-31-2014 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction

Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Although the majority most likely wouldn't look in the Harborfields vicinity, we do have a number of families who could live in the Brookville/Old Westbury area if they wanted to. When questioned as to why they chose "here," there answer was "because we like it here." There are a number of high level execs, lawyers, investment bankers and such that chose this community.

I'm interested to see what will become of 50 Mariners Court...if they'll raze the property or just update it.

We have a neighbor who built a 2 plus million dollar home. Their taxes are over 50k.
I agree, there are some no doubt. HF is definitely a different vibe and population than Brookville or Old Westbury. Let me put it this way. If I won the lottery and had my choice of anywhere to live on the North Shore, I would consider waterfront in Centerport or waterfront somewhere in Llyod Harbor, hands down over Brookville and Old Westbury. And that is mostly due to the fact that each area attracts a very different vibe of people. Add in the draw of waterfront, beaches, and being near Northport Village and Huntington Village, even tiny CSH village area too.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-31-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
Just to clarify, when it's said that someone can (or can't) afford to live somewhere, I always thought it was implied that they could afford *the type of house they want* in said area. For example, if someone buys a $2 million dollar house in Greenlawn, chances are that they *couldn't* afford a similar house in Brookville or Old Westbury where what they want could easily be 50-75% more (maybe even double depending on the area) than in Greenlawn. Likewise, while in theory I *could* afford a house in many much more expensive areas on LI, it wouldn't be the type of house I wanted, therefore I don't consider it an area that I could reasonably afford. Make sense?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify, when it's said that someone can (or can't) afford to live somewhere, I always thought it was implied that they could afford *the type of house they want* in said area. For example, if someone buys a $2 million dollar house in Greenlawn, chances are that they *couldn't* afford a similar house in Brookville or Old Westbury where what they want could easily be 50-75% more (maybe even double depending on the area) than in Greenlawn. Likewise, while in theory I *could* afford a house in many much more expensive areas on LI, it wouldn't be the type of house I wanted, therefore I don't consider it an area that I could reasonably afford. Make sense?

Yes, you are correct. Wealthy people only want to live in Brookville or Old Westbury and they only want to drive Maybachs or RRs and they only want to wear Hermes or Brunello Cucinelli.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. Wealthy people only want to live in Brookville or Old Westbury and they only want to drive Maybachs or RRs and they only want to wear Hermes or Brunello Cucinelli.
Is that what you think? I certainly don't agree with that!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
This post makes sense. The thing is many people dont have a clue what the quality of there house is other the the inspection report they get before purchasing.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Is that what you think? I certainly don't agree with that!

Then please explain your previous statement to me.

(And you're misunderstanding my previous post. They didn't buy a 2+ million dollar home. They built a 2+ million dollar home. They still had to buy the home/land that was there prior...which has been the case for many homeowners in the area.)

My argument is that not everybody wants to live where you want to live. Just because you find an area or location desirable, doesn't mean others do regardless of how much money they have.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM

[
Quote:
Then please explain your previous statement to me.

(And you're misunderstanding my previous post. They didn't buy a 2+ million dollar home. They built a 2+ million dollar home. They still had to buy the home/land that was there prior...which has been the case for many homeowners in the area.)

My argument is that not everybody wants to live where you want to live. Just because you find an area or location desirable, doesn't mean others do regardless of how much money they have.
Not sure what is unclear- the point is your neighbor probably could not afford the same quality of house in more expensive areas, regardless of how the house came to be (actually, if you were to knock down & build in Brookville or Old Westbury it would surely cost at least double what it cost your neighbor in Greenlawn).

This is not commentary on what wealthy people choose to spend their money on. That is an entirely different topic and has no relevance to this thread. It's simply an observation that those living in less expensive areas like Greenlawn probably could not afford a similar house in a more expensive area, regardless if how much the house cost- therefore they can't really afford to live in the more expensive areas (and they may not want to for personal reasons anyway).

To bring it back to the original topic of this thread, someone buying a large updated house on an acre in Greenlawn likely cannot afford a similar house in Centerport. Yes, they can afford *a* house in Centerport, but they can't afford the *type of house they want*. Therefore, can they *really* afford Centerport? IMO, no. And yes, of course some people may choose Greenlawn regardless since the location is more convenient- but that doesn't change the fact the Centerport is a more expensive area than Greenlawn.

Last edited by monkeygorilla; 04-01-2014 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Double post

Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
[

Not sure what is unclear- the point is your neighbor probably could not afford the same quality of house in more expensive areas, regardless of how the house came to be (actually, if you were to knock down & build in Brookville or Old Westbury it would surely cost at least double what it cost your neighbor in Greenlawn).

This is not commentary on what wealthy people choose to spend their money on. That is an entirely different topic and has no relevance to this thread. It's simply an observation that those living in less expensive areas like Greenlawn probably could not afford a similar house in a more expensive area, regardless if how much the house cost- therefore they can't really afford to live in the more expensive areas (and they may not want to for personal reasons anyway).

To bring it back to the original topic of this thread, someone buying a large updated house on an acre in Greenlawn likely cannot afford a similar house in Centerport. Yes, they can afford *a* house in Centerport, but they can't afford the *type of house they want*. Therefore, can they *really* afford Centerport? IMO, no. And yes, of course some people may choose Greenlawn regardless since the location is more convenient- but that doesn't change the fact the Centerport is a more expensive area than Greenlawn.

I think you're overestimating the $$$ in most of the Centerport areas. Check the US Census stats for Centerport vs North Greenlawn or Huntington areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island