Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,295 times

Advertisements

Hofstra university with very little loan or an elite liberal arts college which is in top 5 US News ranking with large 200k loan?
International student with no visa to work in US.
Dream: Wall street, iBanking, law school, MBA

I've made to the most selective school but the money makes me think again. Will I be happy at Hofra?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
For those jobs, I don't really know... but do you really want to be 22-23 and $200,000 in the red?

I went to a very low ranked SUNY school. It cost my parents next to nothing to send me there. If I had gone private I would have had to pay myself with a loan b/c my parents couldn't have had afforded it.

When I got out, nowhere cared where I went to school. They just wanted me to have the degree for the most part, have a decent GPA and have the desire to work hard. I have an amazing job that I love and no debt.

Hofstra is a great school. LI is a great place to live & be. I personally feel you are better off with less debt at the end. If you don't like Hofstra you can always transfer. All my friends who went there loved it.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticg View Post
Hofstra university with very little loan or an elite liberal arts college which is in top 5 US News ranking with large 200k loan?
International student with no visa to work in US.
Dream: Wall street, iBanking, law school, MBA

I've made to the most selective school but the money makes me think again. Will I be happy at Hofra?
Say "no" to Hofstra if you want to get into a prestigious firm as an investment banker! You will not make the cut. They do not recruit on Hofstra campus, only on campuses of good schools. No good firm will want you.

Say "no" to Hofstra Law if you want to be an attorney in US BigLaw, Magic Circle, etc. Nobody recruits from Hofstra as it is considered a third tier toilet school. The only way I would advise going to Hofstra Law is if you want to (a) open your own law firm right away as an independent attorney and (b) will be serving the general public (criminal, immigration, etc.), not savvy business people who will look up where you went to law school before using your services.

As for using Hofstra undergrad to get into a good law school or MBA program (which are really the only ones worth going to in this economy if you want to secure a good position), it will be a huge gamble is all I can say compared to the elite college. You will have a lot of competition from people who went to better schools, so why should they choose you?

Hofstra is for people with strictly non-elite career expectations. If you hadn't mentioned wanting to be an investment banker or attorney, I would have answered differently. These careers are extremely dependent on going to the right schools, while many other careers are not. If you shift your ambitions significantly downward (like the tuition at Hofstra), only then would I recommend Hofstra. Otherwise you will be disappointed in the career options you get out of Hofstra as an investment banker or attorney. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-05-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 7,295 times
Thanks everyone ! It always happens like this with Hofstra. 50-50 on every forum. However, I m starting to get a sense of the community/academics/reputation of Hofstra. It's hard to guess everything of the US from 8000 miles away.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticg View Post
Thanks everyone ! It always happens like this with Hofstra. 50-50 on every forum. However, I m starting to get a sense of the community/academics/reputation of Hofstra. It's hard to guess everything of the US from 8000 miles away.
Also please take my advice as if you are planning for a career in the USA. If you are planning to get your education and go back home to work, perhaps the requirements to get into top law firms or investment banking are not so difficult and Hofstra would not be a bad choice compared to the much more expensive school.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Please dont take Naive in Nassau (aka i love li) as entirely the truth. Hofstra has no great reputation. Its a local school catering to local ambitions but it isnt a garbage institution. You can do very well with a degree from hofstra but you wont be recruited by big firms. With that said, if you can make an elite school, and get a job as a lawyer in a big firm or as an investment banker, that 200,000 in debt will be small change.

I Love Li But....where did you go to college? Elite school or local?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM

47 posts, read 98,513 times
Most of us face the same decision when selecting colleges. Lower debt with less prospects or higher debt load with better prospects. I was faced with the same decision 10 years ago when I decided between nyu or any of the other schools I got into. I decided that the debt load from nyu wasn't worth it. I'm happy with that decision and I'm doing the best i can with the decisions I've made. You will have to do the same and make the best of your decision. Given your goals, I second previous posters- better school=better network and prospects. Keep in mind though that all the debt will be heavy and slow your progress. And a well paid job after graduation is never guaranteed. If you decide to go to the better school, make the most of every opportunity, resource, event, department, alumni meetings, etc. as possible.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Go for the Liberal Arts School.

Even though Hofstra's not a horrible school, it isn't considered prestigious at all.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:41 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
If you can get a full ride to Hofstra, and acceptance at one of the top 5 colleges in the country, there's gotta be some in-between - ie, a better school than Hofstra but a place that will give you some help financially. As noted, Hofstra is an OK school, usually most highly thought of by their alumni, but it's not considered prestigious.

Not sure how it works for international students but there are always grants and scholarships available.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you can get a full ride to Hofstra, and acceptance at one of the top 5 colleges in the country, there's gotta be some in-between - ie, a better school than Hofstra but a place that will give you some help financially. As noted, Hofstra is an OK school, usually most highly thought of by their alumni, but it's not considered prestigious.

Not sure how it works for international students but there are always grants and scholarships available.

Top US universities do not offer much financial aid for international students. Generally, they pay full price, unless they are some special case refugee. That's why many of the foreign students are Prince Al-Somebody from Saudi Arabai or Kuwait. Hofstra must be trying to expand their student base by offering more scholarship money to international students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island