Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I've maxed my 401k since 22yo - but I do NOT inhibit myself in my prime years so much just so that I may enjoy them when I'm old and gray.
church

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
church
? no idea what that is.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
? no idea what that is.
Slang for you speak the truth.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My problem is that people like Jdawg make it too easy for employers in NYC to underpay and overwork their employees. By taking a job that underpays and has a ridiculous commute, when she seems to have other employment options allows employers to get away with that. If there were not enough doormats on Long Island willing to accept jobs in NYC with low pay and a ridiculous commute, and NYC employers had a hard time finding enough quality employees, they would be forced to either open a branch office on Long Island, or they'd be forced to pay their employees more money so that they could afford to live comfortably in or near NYC. But since they fill their staff with doormats like JDawg, they ruin it for everyone else. And sine those of us who want to actually have a life have no alternative but t accept the few remaining jobs on LI, they can underpay us even more.
No one is forcing me to have a ridiculos commute though, I chose that! I like it!

I am underpaid yes but I don't make low-pay. I dont make much less than you actually, which i consider to be pretty good considering all I have to do is show up.

A zillion times already - the other job options were too low paying. I thought you understood this...

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-23-2014 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Why do you commute all the way to NYC and give up your life for a job in which you are underpaid? Shouldn't you be looking for a better paying job? Or maybe your skills are not very good, so you're stuck in an underpaying job with a long commute?
I'm underpaid but I make pretty good $$ it's just not what I think I should be paid.

Ive been looking but it's hard & very competitive.

The commute is long b/c I chose it and I love my walk. If I wanted a shorter commute i could take the subway. I dont want to take the subway.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
90 freaking thousand dollars a year and you can't afford to add a data plan to your cell phone...wow just wow
"You must spread it around before giving some reputation points to BigMike50"

Awww rats! Lol

Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Because I live in a bad neighborhood I can't give opinions on whether a smartphone is a necessity? While I go make some popcorn, I'll let you explain that one. For the record - I'm here by choice.
I would never choose to live in a bad neighborhood just to be able to afford a smart phone.

Quote:
I'm sure you spend money on something you can do without. Everybody does.
And a smart phone data plan is something I can do without.

Quote:
Do what you want but I'd rather enhance my life as much as possible while I'm here rather than talk on some stupid flip-phone. Flip-phones are for early 2000s college students and the visually impaired (no offense to my visually impaired people).
I couldn't care less what you think of my phone.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No one is forcing me to have a ridiculos commute though, I chose that! I like it!

I am underpaid yes but I don't make low-pay. I dont make much less than you actually, which i consider to be pretty good considering all I have to do is show up.

A zillion times already - the other job options were too low paying. I thought you understood this...
Even if you took the subway, you'd still have a much longer commute than me, apparently for less money. Plus you'd have to pay for the LIRR and subway, so you'd lose even more money. Sounds like I'm doing better than you with my LI job.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Tell me about it - my soon to be 5 year old son is already asking me about my Ralph Lauren shirts. He has a couple himself.
Instead of buying him Ralph Lauren shirts, and selfishly buying yourself a smart phone data plan, why don't you move to a decent neighborhood where your son isn't in constant danger? Even the South Bronx would be an upgrade over where you live.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Even if you took the subway, you'd still have a much longer commute than me, apparently for less money. Plus you'd have to pay for the LIRR and subway, so you'd lose even more money. Sounds like I'm doing better than you with my LI job.
Well i am not in civil engineering. My field pays less in general. Also i do not have a masters in my field. I do pretty well for myself really but i deserve more $$.

I'm not interested in a commute without a walk. I don want to pay for a gym, this is why I walk.

I'm not interested in driving to work. I would get fat doing that.

No you arent doing better. I can afford a smartphone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island