Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Except an iPad doesn't require a data plan. It uses WiFi.

Isn't it $30 per month beyond what I'm already paying?

No. My wife almost never shops and rarely buys clothes or shoes for herself. She and I both live a very frugal lifestyle. That seems to be a foreign concept on this board.
The ipad comment was in your defense that if you're smart enough to use that you can use an iphone bc they are essentially the same. Maybe BigMike was right...

I was defending you in suggesting you prob could use an iphone.

$45 a month. Big whoop tee doo.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:36 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I wish the OP luck in the future because when my crappy old phone broke a year or so ago, the Verizon store literally had one regular phone. The guy freely admitted they are phasing them out.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-18-2014, 02:40 PM

413 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
....I'm sure this will fill up 12 vortexian pages of tech vs anti-tech arguments like there aren't already 50 threads of the same.
Page 12 as predicted!

Save yourselves, people.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:44 PM

57 posts, read 88,417 times
Well, I eat breakfast and dinner with my spouse and kids daily because I manage my time carefully.

I'm an adherent to Getting Things Done and one principle is to be organized so you can make use of downtime. With my smartphone, I have a dynamic to do list and can work it anytime I am waiting. I can sign my kids up for the local soccer league and buy a larger size pair of cleats while im waiting for my lunch to be cooked in the cafeteria or the deli. I can pay bills while i wait for the elevator or retrieve medical test results for my elderly father so i know whether he needs a follow up visit now or in 2 months. Now, you might think it's stressful to do these things instead of staring at the rack of chips by the cash register while I wait, but to be able to use that time productively to cross time sensitive tasks off my to do list is actually stress relieving. With 2 kids, i don't have an hour to sit in front of a computer every night to do this stuff.

My phone enables me to spend more quality time with my family, so it's worth every cent I pay. On the other hand, I haven't had cable for about 6 years and have pretty much stopped watching TV altogether. Now I can't believe what a waste of time and money it was.

And before you all pile on, the kids are having a swim lesson at a place where parents wait behind a one way mirror, hence the free time to post here. I actually came to read the updates on the privacy bushes thread and got sucked into this one...I should know better :-) Be well, folks!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
For me, a car is essential, since it is the only way to get to work. I once checked the bus schedules to see if I could get to work using the bus. Even if I took the first bus of the day, since it would require so many transfers and go so far out of the way, there was literally no way that I could get to work on time.
So you mean car is "not" the only way to get to work, but the only way to get to work on time.

Honest question... hypothetically speaking if your boss says its okay for you to take the many transfers and get late to work everyday, would you still want to do that compared to your car ride ?

You are going to save money with the bus. But remember you hate long commutes and like to spend more time with your family. Keep that in perspective before you answer that.

OR... maybe you can justify how the bus costs more !!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_ View Post
Well, I eat breakfast and dinner with my spouse and kids daily because I manage my time carefully.

I'm an adherent to Getting Things Done and one principle is to be organized so you can make use of downtime. With my smartphone, I have a dynamic to do list and can work it anytime I am waiting. I can sign my kids up for the local soccer league and buy a larger size pair of cleats while im waiting for my lunch to be cooked in the cafeteria or the deli. I can pay bills while i wait for the elevator or retrieve medical test results for my elderly father so i know whether he needs a follow up visit now or in 2 months. Now, you might think it's stressful to do these things instead of staring at the rack of chips by the cash register while I wait, but to be able to use that time productively to cross time sensitive tasks off my to do list is actually stress relieving. With 2 kids, i don't have an hour to sit in front of a computer every night to do this stuff.

My phone enables me to spend more quality time with my family, so it's worth every cent I pay. On the other hand, I haven't had cable for about 6 years and have pretty much stopped watching TV altogether. Now I can't believe what a waste of time and money it was.

And before you all pile on, the kids are having a swim lesson at a place where parents wait behind a one way mirror, hence the free time to post here. I actually came to read the updates on the privacy bushes thread and got sucked into this one...I should know better :-) Be well, folks!
Honestly, I have no desire to live the lifestyle that you are living. People have had children for millennia without needing to resort to smart phones.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
So you mean car is "not" the only way to get to work, but the only way to get to work on time.

Honest question... hypothetically speaking if your boss says its okay for you to take the many transfers and get late to work everyday, would you still want to do that compared to your car ride ?

You are going to save money with the bus. But remember you hate long commutes and like to spend more time with your family. Keep that in perspective before you answer that.

OR... maybe you can justify how the bus costs more !!
No, I would not give up my car, unless I absolutely could not afford one.

The point you are missing is that I personally find it very easy to go without things I've never had (I've never had a smart phone / data plan), but very hard to go without things that I have always had (I've always had a car for as long as I've had a drivers license, and my parents always had cars when I was too young).

Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
No, I would not give up my car, unless I absolutely could not afford one.

The point you are missing is that I personally find it very easy to go without things I've never had (I've never had a smart phone / data plan), but very hard to go without things that I have always had (I've always had a car for as long as I've had a drivers license, and my parents always had cars when I was too young).
I've never owned a helicopter - I guess I don't miss the hard task of finding a nice open space to land.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Honestly, I have no desire to live the lifestyle that you are living. People have had children for millennia without needing to resort to smart phones.
Could you be any more condescending/superior/rude/obtuse?

Here's someone who's actually figured out how to do the thing you claim to want to do - maximize time with his kids/family while also maximizing his earning power - and you're going to look down your nose at him because he managed to accomplish it by using a smartphone? Are you even serious right now or do you just post this stuff to be obnoxious?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I would actually rather give up my car than my smartphone. I walk & take trains to work and my husband has a car. I def dont consider a car essential but a smart phone I do.

I'm no good at driving anyway and my driving certainly is not doing anyone any favours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island