Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM

19,225 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Smart phones are not essential, given that I and several other posters are able to get by without them.
Are you the benchmark standard that others should be measured against???

Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Smart phones are not essential, given that I and several other posters are able to get by without them.
It's all relative, dude. Stop using you as the measuring stick for everything on City-Data.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 PM

730 posts, read 1,304,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
Take heed my Boomers, this is not the way to go.

Get a "smartphone" - all banking is going that way.
You do realize that many people don't want to bank online, right? It's nothing to do with age, or "resistance to technology"; it's simply that they don't have sufficient confidence in online security when it comes to certain things. I'm guessing you have never been a victim of the nightmare that is identity theft.

I agree with the poster who said that if my bank ever said "smartphone banking or no banking", they'd lose me as a customer in a NY minute.

IMHO there are some people for whom a smartphone might be a necessity, primarily those who are in the workforce. But for many other people a smartphone may be nothing more than an overpriced toy. It doesn't mean that we're "backward" or Neo-Luddites, it just means that it's not worth the money to them. Just like some women see nothing wrong with paying $500 for a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, while for others a pair of $30 sneakers is just fine.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post

IMHO there are some people for whom a smartphone might be a necessity, primarily those who are in the workforce. But for many other people a smartphone may be nothing more than an overpriced toy. It doesn't mean that we're "backward" or Neo-Luddites, it just means that it's not worth the money to them. Just like some women see nothing wrong with paying $500 for a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, while for others a pair of $30 sneakers is just fine.
Same thing with cars. I could not fathom spending $50,000 or $60,000 for a BMW or Mercedes when a Mazda 6 gets me where I'm going just as quickly and safely, and almost as comfortably for $24,000. Not interested in the status, and the bells and whistles.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:38 PM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Same thing with cars. I could not fathom spending $50,000 or $60,000 for a BMW or Mercedes when a Mazda 6 gets me where I'm going just as quickly and safely, and almost as comfortably for $24,000. Not interested in the status, and the bells and whistles.

A multi function mobile computer vs a phone is not exactly a valid analogy with an expensive car vs a less expensive car.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Depends...on business, lifestyle,etc.. here's a few things it helps me with on a given day!

I agree; depends on the person. So just for fun here's a comparison between your use and what mine would be:

1.) Phone numbers, addresses,meetings,appointments and everything else synced between everything. - I don't have other devices. For me it's just laptop + phone, so no need to sync.
2.) Camera,hd video, shoot in 4k with instant sharing.- If I go anywhere that I think I'd want pics or video, I'd take along my Nikon J1 camera. I don't use social media, thus no sharing.
3.) PDF and document reader. - With my eyesight I wouldn't want to try to read any documents on a phone-sized screen! And, continual zooming/scrolling would be a major PITA.
4.) Full website viewer - see #3
5.) Maps,gps, real time traffic reports, with directions and satellite and street view, plus restaurants reviews, cheap gas,etc - I have a GPS in my car, and rarely eat out.
6.) Fully functional calendar that syncs to all my accounts - see #1
7.) Notes that sync between phone and computer and web (Evernote)- see #1
8.) Entertainment for kids(movies,games,videos,Karaoke Party) 24/7 access - no kids here
9.) Language learner (currently working spanish Duolingo) - No desire to learn another language
10.) Remote control for iTunes when I'm at home so I don't have to go into the other room to change song or volume. - Don't use iTunes, and anyway I'm deaf in one ear, LOL
11.) My music, Bluetooth for car and wireless speakers - see #10
12.) Movie times and previews and purchase tickets( no lines) - Don't go to movies.
13.) Song identification (Soundhound) - See #10/#11
14.) File sharing between devices (Dropbox) - See #1
15.) Remote control for all my fios and T.V.'s and car! -Remote control to do what?
16.) Banking,depositing checks,stocks,etc in real time from anywhere - I would never do any high-security activities wirelessly.
17.) live real time video feeds of business and employees and real time cash flow.- N/a, retired.
18.) Real time video of my indoor and outdoor security system, control lights and doors - I'm home most of the time, and if there's a problem my alarm company will call me
19.) Facetime,skype, go to meetings from anywhere - Don't use/need.
20.) Alarm clock - I've got this on my nonsmart phone.
21.) Takes credit card payments - Nobody pays me, lol
22.) scanner, fax -Hardly ever need to use either.
23.) live T.V. and sports! - If I can't watch it on at least a 40" screen, I'm not interested, lol. Don't follow sports.
24.) heart rate monitor - Luckily, medically I don't need this.
I use my flip phone (which I much prefer to the flat ones, btw, because the screen is protected) for 3 things: making/receiving calls, the occasional text message, and taking the occasional picture which gets saved to the microSD card and transferred to my laptop later on. I have less than a half dozen text notes saved but hardly ever need to refer to them. I use the alarm feature maybe once every few months. I can't think of anything that I would want to do on my phone, that I can't already do. If I sent a lot of text messages I probably would prefer a "full" keyboard but for my light usage it's really no big deal.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I use my flip phone (which I much prefer to the flat ones, btw, because the screen is protected) for 3 things: making/receiving calls, the occasional text message, and taking the occasional picture which gets saved to the microSD card and transferred to my laptop later on. I have less than a half dozen text notes saved but hardly ever need to refer to them. I use the alarm feature maybe once every few months. I can't think of anything that I would want to do on my phone, that I can't already do. If I sent a lot of text messages I probably would prefer a "full" keyboard but for my light usage it's really no big deal.
1 example of the benefits of technology even in your case... when you take a pic on your phone, it can get uploaded to the cloud and/or your PC at home (however you want to set it) without you ever having to transfer the pics from the SD card manually. Simply having a phone with wifi can do this. I remember the chore it was when I had to do it with my point & shoot camera SD card and definitely with a DSLR. Technology advances - you may not *need* this and that feature, but the list of possibilities keep on growing as time passes.

They even make wireless chargers now... just place the phone on the charging pad.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
1 example of the benefits of technology even in your case... when you take a pic on your phone, it can get uploaded to the cloud and/or your PC at home (however you want to set it) without you ever having to transfer the pics from the SD card manually. Simply having a phone with wifi can do this. I remember the chore it was when I had to do it with my point & shoot camera SD card and definitely with a DSLR. Technology advances - you may not *need* this and that feature, but the list of possibilities keep on growing as time passes.

They even make wireless chargers now... just place the phone on the charging pad.
But to me it's not ANY kind of a "chore" to take the SD card out of my phone and pop it into my computer, then pop it back into the phone again after I've moved the pic out. Takes all of 3 minutes at most, perhaps. :-D It's honestly no big deal and never has been, to spend 3 minutes doing something. I can't think of any earthly reason why I would need or want to have the picture go anywhere else than on my phone INSTANTLY or any sooner than whenever I got around to it later on that evening or maybe even days later. My life doesn't move in that fast of a lane, LOL. Nor would I want it to. Been there done that when I was younger. :-)

Old 04-17-2014, 01:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
^ yeah well people can get by without cars, microwaves, and can openers also. I can open a tin can with a hammer and screwdriver and it only takes 3 minutes.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
I currently have a smart phone that is taking "stupid" lessons. I got the phone for the same price as a flip but I only have the phone service. No data.
I agree with all the above naysayers especially as a retiree who can simply go to the computer. Now, that admitted, within the next year I foresee myself adding the data and getting smart. Why? because I can see that not only is the "way of the future already here" but it will be an absolute necessity within a few years. Banking, parking meters, restaurants, coupons, are already done that way in many places. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go home to comparison shop an item that I could have done with the phone. I resisted a tablet and got one as a gift and I am glad I have it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island