Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times

Advertisements

I have a pre-paid phone LOL and the young kids I work with laugh at me. I don't care. As long as I can call out or receive calls I am good. I don't need to text plus I have never texted. I might be a 43 year old fossil in some peoples minds but that's ok. I don't live my life around a cell phone. I don't have kids so it works for me. $100 gives me 1,000 minutes which last me all year. I have a home PC for internet browsing. I don't need another electronic device to be addicted to.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
In another thread a while ago, someone claimed that a smart phone and data plan are a necessity. I do not agree that it is a necessity. I use a basic phone with no data plan (just voice, text, and picture messages). The monthly charges for the data plan are more than I am willing to spend. The carrier that I use has the best voice coverage in my area, and I don't want to give that up.

I realize that I am in the minority, but I consider it to be a luxury that I do not need. I do not consider it to be a necessity. I find it very easy to go without things that I have never had (such as a smart phone and data plan). But I find it very difficult to go without things that I have always had.
I fully agree. I only use my phone on the web when free wifi is available, and it's not even an android.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I don't have one. I prefer to surf the internet on a laptop with a comfortable large screen and keyboard. You are right it is overpriced.
Fully agree. WHY pay for a overinflated plan for a android toy, when you can have internet access for free? It just doesn't make sense to spend money that you don't have to.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Fully agree. WHY pay for a overinflated plan for a android toy, when you can have internet access for free? It just doesn't make sense to spend money that you don't have to.
A good smart phone can replace a laptop, camera, video recorder and even a home computer.. it's also very convenient and 24/7 acess us great. Can save you money if you think about it.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
A good smart phone can replace a laptop, camera, video recorder and even a home computer.. it's also very convenient and 24/7 acess us great. Can save you money if you think about it.
No thank you. I'd rather have the functionality and better quality of those devices SEPARATELY than stuffed into one little toy which I'd have to pay a orbital price for. A smartphone CANNOT replace a premium quality digital camera, OR my laptop. Nor do I trust the security issues that smartphones have.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Totally agree!! A 13MP phone camera is not going to replace my 24MP camera nor is a video recorder on a phone going to replace the quality of an actual digital camcorder.

I'd rather have all my items separately and I'm sure as heck not going to go online on a phone to pay bills or anything else!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
In another thread a while ago, someone claimed that a smart phone and data plan are a necessity. I do not agree that it is a necessity. I use a basic phone with no data plan (just voice, text, and picture messages). The monthly charges for the data plan are more than I am willing to spend. The carrier that I use has the best voice coverage in my area, and I don't want to give that up.

I realize that I am in the minority, but I consider it to be a luxury that I do not need. I do not consider it to be a necessity. I find it very easy to go without things that I have never had (such as a smart phone and data plan). But I find it very difficult to go without things that I have always had.
I don't like carrying multiple devices so my smartphone is also my camera, flash drive, mp3 player, hot spot (I can tether unlimited for $15 a month) and I read the Daily News on it instead of buying a paper every morning. To each their own.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times
To each their own.... it works for me and my lifestyle....like I said it replaced my laptop, gps, fax, camera, video recorder, etc.. I do everything including banking, airline tickets and everything else without an issue for many years.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
This should probably get moved to the Consumer Electronics forum as this has absolutely nothing to do with Long Island.
I posted it here, since another poster said in another thread that a smart phone and data plan are a necessity. These are the same people who give me a hard time thinking I'm unwilling to make sacrifices. But my point is that I am willing to sacrifice things that I've never had (smart phone and data plan), but am not willing to sacrifice things I have always had (close proximity to grandparents when I was growing up, dinner with family every night, good school district).

Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I think I made a similar to statement to what the OP said.

Today, it is a 24 hour culture. Many companies (my fiance's job included), give out cell phones to their employee. He's had emergencies in the middle of the night that is affecting an overseas office. He gets all of this on his phone. Is it healthy to be a 24 hour culture? Probably not, but it is the way of the world these days.

I've needed access to email to answer questions for a job interview or when I needed to send something for work. I'm able to communicate with friends and relatives and send photos. While Facebook does drain time, it also allows us to communicate and stay in touch with people. I have friends from across the country and the world that I can talk to. Do you know how much it would truly cost me if I called someone in Australia on my regular talk plan? Skype and Facebook are good for things like that.

Data plans do not have to be expensive. I currently pay about $70-80 bucks for my plan, but I am with Verizon, so that is the reason it is on the higher end. I have researched other plans, and found comparable plans for less money. I just pay for a premium with Verizon because it's considered the best, and also I'm grandfathered in at the moment with unlimited data.
The way I see it (and I'm sure the corporate shrills who dominate this board won't agree with me), if having a smart phone / data plan is so important to my job, then my employer should either pay for it, or give a raise that covers it plus inflation. Otherwise, I am basically taking a salary cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island