Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,652 times

Advertisements

Paul Tripp was the man when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 7,163 times
Dear Clark Street Kid,

I agree with you 100%! Mr.Tripp was the very best as a kids tv educator.

NYC Kids TV

Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,110 times
I was born in 1938,Mom saved the hospital/doctor bill for my birth total $25.00.Woods covered 2 sides of the house my dad built but lost during bad times and unemployment, but he was still able to rent it till 1947 when a new home was bought for $5,000.Today's kids will never know woods where we played and built forts because of the over development on Long Island,or small game hunting in Nassau county in the 40s and early 50s as well as catching any species or amount of fish without a salt water license.The movie house in Oyster Bay had Lucky nite once a week was like bingo and you could win money,the roller skate rink in Mineola was a fun place to go as well as the county fair there,as well as the stock car races in Islip and Freeport.All that is gone progress is sad.JMO

Last edited by qlty; 02-26-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Dear Nancy The Reader,

"Mr.I Magination"was seen on sunday evenings and later on saturday mornings on The
CBS TV Network from April 24,1949 to June 28,1952.

If you haven't seen the show? You can see some kinnie film prints of the series at

The Paley Center For Media(Formerley known as "The Museum Of Broadcasting"/
"The Museum Of TV & Radio")at 25 W.52nd Street in NYC.

I hope that you'll go to the museum to see kids tv's very first successful but forgotten

educational show.

NYC Kids TV

Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
Thanks, NYC Kid.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM

You're Welcome..Nancy The Reader.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 AM

I've just found out that The Jewish Life cable TV Network is rerunning episodes of "The Soupy Sales Show"(The WNEW TV Ch.5 NYC edition from the mid 1960's)and"The New Soupy Sales Show"from the late 1970's.The shows are seen weekday mornings for a half hour at 9:30 P.M. EST and weekday afternoons at 2:30 P.M. I hope that the users of "The Blast From The Past"website will be able to get The Jewish Life Cable TV network on their cable systems and get a chance to laugh again..with kidult tv comedy's loveable looney and his puppet pals.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM

294 posts, read 743,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstreetkid View Post
grew up in the 60's and 70's on li and here's the crazy stuff we'd do.

Let's see, in the there were bb gun fights in the woods though we were smart enough to wear swim goggles.

Bottle rocket wars and roman candle duels in the streets.

Backyard boxing matches.

Going to the town dump, roaming the trash and scavenging for stuff for whatever project we were trying to build. Added bonus was finding old playboys, radios, furniture and other things that would find their way into one of our club houses or forts.

Making our bikes into choppers by cutting the front forks off of one bike and hammering them over the forks of our bikes. Sometimes they'd fall off pitching you over the handle bars.:d

as teens building motorbikes by bolting an old lawn mower engine onto the frame of a stingray. The speed control was usually done by manipulating the throttle with one hand while steering with the other. Brakes were optional.

Building elaborate underground tunnels in the woods and flimsy tree forts on the tops of pine trees.:d

jumping out the windows or off the roof of a split that was under construction into a big pile of sand.

Trying to swim southard pond.

Riding our bikes everywhere.

There was more and somehow we made it through childhood ok if with a few scars.:d

all of the above.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but sumps were THE place to be year-round. Riding your bike real fast down one hill, pedaling all out in the center/flat area and racing your bike up the other hill without having a complete collision with the chain link fence was the goal. Crashing into those (when you think about it) hearty trees was fair game. In the winter, the place became a skating rink and I never remember seeing any parents or adults around. If you picked a bad spot and went plunging through the ice, you were more worried about going home and getting spotted by your Mom with the wet pants (more wash for her - not a concern about your general health!). Anyway, you just kept playing or skating. Those pant legs would turn into something the Tin Man would be comfortable in!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM

113 posts, read 318,039 times
Wow, thanks OP for bringing back some memories. I was a 70's kid.

I was just talking to my sister last night about kids not having fear for their parents these days. Today, when a child fears their parents its a bad thing because it is said that a child should not be afraid. If you even say aloud that kids should fear parents you will get a lot of flack, probably even on this forum. The truth of the matter is not enough kids (especially teenagers) fear their parents and elders. But I get the feeling this is because not enough parents love their kids like our parents loved us. Our parents didn't think twice about driving us into lakes and killing because they had arguments with their "baby daddy" or other drama. Ten-year-old boy escapes from van seconds before mother drives into lake killing herself, three children | Perth Now and Children Drown in South Carolina River; Mother Arrested - ABC News and http://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/20/us...-the-lake.html

Talk about motherly love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island