Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 07:15 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times

Advertisements

Thanks, FunCityMan. It was nice to hear from you again.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Fun City Man: Reading your posting has reminded me of watching Soupy Sales on Sundy morning as a kid. I mean with 5 stations + PBS there weren't alot of choices, and yet we survived. I guess we were outside playing..lol

I also remember the Great Balentine, it seems like likely alot of the performers I grew up with are passing away.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 AM

71 posts, read 232,984 times
Dear VA Yankee,

Soupy was never seen on sunday mornings on tv..he was seen saturday afternoons

on ABC TV in the late 1950's and early 1960's. And later in the mid to late 1960's..he

was seen on saturday evenings and then on saturday mornings in NYC(on WNEW TV Ch.5)

and in national syndication.

Fun City Man.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun City Man View Post
Dear VA Yankee,

Soupy was never seen on sunday mornings on tv..he was seen saturday afternoons

on ABC TV in the late 1950's and early 1960's. And later in the mid to late 1960's..he

was seen on saturday evenings and then on saturday mornings in NYC(on WNEW TV Ch.5)

and in national syndication.

Fun City Man.
Your right, it was Wonderama with Sonny Fox that I saw on Sundays, beat Davey & Goliath...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
As a person born in the 70's, I believe the world has become stale. Nothing to look foward to anymore. Everything has been done pretty much as far as technology and what not. Maybe improvements on current technology, but I think the world is kinda boring right now.

Going from rotary to touchtone phones...wow
Antenna to cable...wow
Cell phones...wow
Internet...wow
But now it's like, "ok, now what?" exactly.
What's next in our lifetime? Time travel? Flying cars? I doubt it. Cure for cancer? unlikely...Seems to me the only thing to look foward to now is how much money can you make.

And I totally think TV sucks these days, aside from a few select programs.
Bring back Looney Tunes dammit! and not some watered down "PC" version either.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun City Man View Post
Last month on Wednesday September 8,2010..it marked the 100th birthday of one of NYC's

most beloved and well known kids tv hosts/performers:"Officer"/"Police Chief Joe"Bolton.

Yes!

In the fall of 1910..Joesph Reeves Bolton The II was born in The Flushing section of Queens,
Here's to you Officer Joe!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 PM

71 posts, read 232,984 times
Last Month on Saturday September 18,2010..it was on that date 50 years ago(0n a sunday morning

..actually)that NYC's second most popular and long running kids variety tv show"Let's Have Fun!"debuted

on WPIX TV Ch.11.

Hosted by Chuck McCann and The Paul Ashley Puppets and set against the backdrop of a tv studio:

"The Little Little Theater"..McCann and Ashley would perform character comedy and puppet skits and

engage their viewers in informational segments,contests and interviews with guest performers and

personalities inbetween the reruns of old movie comedies,cartoons,serials and reruns of"The Adventures Of Superman","Abbott & Costello"TV Shows and"Mack & Myer For Hire"TV Film Comedies.

Chuck & Paul would host"LHF!"From Sunday September 18,1960 to Sunday August 15,1965.

The series would continue with other hosts/performers mc'ing the program.."Captain Jack"McCarthy

would host the show for the remainder of the summer of 1965.

Entertainer Terry Bennett would the show with his two vent puppets"Red Flannels","Rusty Hinges"

and with these puppet heads"Dinky Duck","The Dog" and"The Man" against the backdrop of "The Fun

Fair"for the 1965/1966 tv season.

Hank Stohl,"Beachcomber Bill"Biery,The Tom Tichenor Puppets,Robert Broderick and

"Doakey The Clown"(Ed Alberian)would mc the series for the 1966/1967 season.(The Stohl/
Biery version of the show was set against the living room of a private house and later against
the backdrop of"Beachcomber Bill's"South Sea Isle retreat)

Former WPIX TV Cameraman and director turned actor and one time kids tv

host:Scoey Mitchell would serve as "Let's Have Fun's!"last mc playing the gentle,

soft spoken and articulate firefighter"Fireman Frank"from September,1967 to

June,1968.(Mr.Mitchell's version of "LHF"was set against the backdrop of the

interior of an inner city fire house)

Fun City Man.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 PM

11,641 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Officer Joe, Jack McCarthy, Chuck McCann, you don't have hosts like these any more for blocks of children's programming. We were very blessed that we had THREE local channels if you lived in the NYC area. Most cities only had one. Channel 11 and channel 5 had great kids shows and they packaged reruns and old movies and shorts for a whole new generation of fans, BoweryBoys/Eastside Kids/ Little Rascals, Abbot and Costello, etc.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
Remember Winky Dink with (I think) Jack Barry? I cannot be the only kid who once forgot to put the magic screen up & actually drew right on the TV set.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Or I the only one who just used my crayons on the old black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island