Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 13,050 times

Advertisements

[quote=scammed1;4787520]Correct, that is way I stated almost; but to sit and watch oldies like I Married Joan, Sky King, December Bride. Life of Riley and to see Sandy Becker and so many more is a treat. I can only imagine what some kids today would think of those shows. AND so good to "s

I did not remember December Bride until I saw your post do you know if Spring Byington is still around I always liked "My little Margie " too.
Bewitched was my favorite still on nostalga in reruns nice thing about getting older repeats are brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Anyone on from Danville or Chicago Ill.?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Lightbulb And then there were others

Could not wait to grow up, knew it all. left home the world was our oster, no idea about what it was like out there because really we were sheltered from the bad things in the world that why kids stay home now thanks to T.V. & their friends they know whats out there , we have a harded time raising kids now to many temptations for them, & home life MUCH differant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
A few more....

We knew early on that some kids were just better in some thing than we were. Not everyone made the team. If you couldn't hit or catch, you were benched. If you didn't consistantly catch the football, you sat on the sidelines. Our moms didn't have to attend every game and our dads surely wouldn't take off of work to do so.

We didn't go to preschool. When you were 5, you started kindergarten and and it wasn't followed up by a kindergarten graduation.

A date was between us and a love interest. Not something we did to play with other kids when we were 3.

When girls went out on dates, the boys would pick them up. Not meet them along with a gaggle of friends at the theater or restaurant. Guys were responsible for the transportation and the cost. Ahhh

Most of us couldn't wait to "grow up". To go away to college or graduate high school get a job and rent an apartment. The idea of living at home in one's mid 20's was gross.

Regardless of how much money your parents had, most people in my time had jobs once we turned 16.

We could go an entire day from the time we left home for school until when we got home without making a telephone call. Imagine that? lol

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM

I don't know how I found his site but glad I did Brings back wonderful memories.Remember a rope in a tree on a hill running & swinging out over hill sometimes in the winter letting go to land in snow?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Smile welcome to Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robiewan View Post
thanks for this, i have been on vairous city-data forum researching my next relocation
grew up on long island and miss it from time to time.
this is my first visit to the NY-LI site - thanks for the memories
born West Islip 1970, Good Sam - moved to Florida in 1993 (after college in Philly)
I have been in quite a few places in U.S. to , I was raised in Chicago, very happy to be in Fla. now weather MUCH better ,I hope I can find this site tomorrow this is neet. nice people brings back good times. You mentioned about dinner time Remember mom ,dad, brothers & sisters if you had were all at the dinner table & the family dog was to in case something was dropped. & the T.V. was NOT on at dinner time that was family time.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Have not learned how to navigate yet.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 9 days ago)

8,824 posts, read 21,311,643 times
I did not remember December Bride until I saw your post do you know if Spring Byington is still around

Oh, my gosh . I'll bet that she was born in the late 1800s even. She seemed ancient to me even in the 1950s.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 PM

71 posts, read 233,193 times
Dear Nancy The Reader,

Sadly,Ms.Byington is no longer with

us.

Anyway,

Thanks For Remembering Ms.Spring Byington,

Fun City Man.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 9 days ago)

8,824 posts, read 21,311,643 times
okay, thanks fun city man . Have you ever met any of these celebs in person? I did meet Johnny Carson once.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 99,647 times
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember those days. I was always outside with my friends and my mom would say come home when the street lights come on. My friends and I would play kick ball, man hunt, baseball, kick the can. Those were the days! I feel bad for the kids today. I feel bad because most of them will never get to experience a childhood like this and it's very unfortunate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island