Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 PM

347 posts, read 1,353,646 times

Advertisements

Something has been really bugging me and I am hoping someone's got the answer out there. There are 2 areas near me that have some numbered streets right in the middle of named streets. The first is in the Stony Brook S section - along the East side of Sycamore Circle, there are 34th, 31st, 28th, and 25th Streets (all dead ends). The second is in Centereach - along Mark Tree Road there is 32nd, 43rd, and 57th Streets. I'd be really interested in the history of why these streets are numbered but none of the streets around them are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
My curiosity has been piqued. There are numbered streets on the east side of Pond Path are the following: 17th, 18th, & 23rd. The numbers align with the numbered streets off Sycamore Circle.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 PM

732 posts, read 1,736,695 times
Could be the remnants of former paper streets or dirt roads.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Could be the remnants of former paper streets or dirt roads.
I was thinking along the lines of paper streets for a development planned prior to the S Section which never came to fruition. Somewhere in my old file cabinet I have a map of the area pre Levitt. It's interesting because it shows some roads were shifted or partially merged. Off the top of my head: Oxhead Rd, which once ran from Long Hill Rd (current day Stony Brook Rd) down to Middle Country Rd. Nicholls Rd was planned and laid over a portion of Oxhead so that now a portion of Oxhead is just north of 347 (1st light) and the remainder south off of Hawkins where it crosses Pond Path.

When I have time to check, I'll try and dig up the old map to see if it sheds any light on this.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 AM

347 posts, read 1,353,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I was thinking along the lines of paper streets for a development planned prior to the S Section which never came to fruition. Somewhere in my old file cabinet I have a map of the area pre Levitt. It's interesting because it shows some roads were shifted or partially merged. Off the top of my head: Oxhead Rd, which once ran from Long Hill Rd (current day Stony Brook Rd) down to Middle Country Rd. Nicholls Rd was planned and laid over a portion of Oxhead so that now a portion of Oxhead is just north of 347 (1st light) and the remainder south off of Hawkins where it crosses Pond Path.

When I have time to check, I'll try and dig up the old map to see if it sheds any light on this.
Thanks, curious to know what you find. I have spent hours before on Historic Aerials looking at the Long Island roads before all the development in the 60s and 70s. Amazing just how sparse things were back then out here. Wish I could have seen what it looked like before all the building started.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,009,063 times
It was REALLY NICE....before all the development. Some farms - especially around St James......then just rolling countryside with scrub oak and pine.........and QUIET!

Gosh.. my aunt and uncle moved from St James to Strathmore....summer of 64 I think it was. It was my first time seeing a brand new subdivision.

I remember remarking to my parents.............Look at all the kids!!!!!!!!!!!! Every house has kids!
Not so where we lived at Mitchell Field on Officers' Row.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Thanks, curious to know what you find. I have spent hours before on Historic Aerials looking at the Long Island roads before all the development in the 60s and 70s. Amazing just how sparse things were back then out here. Wish I could have seen what it looked like before all the building started.
This is from 1970. You'll notice that there is no development within the Mark Tree/Pond Path/347 triangle -- where some of the numbered streets are. It's hard to make out even on full browser but you can tell the houses on numbered streets off Sycamore Circle are facing one another. It looks as though 25th street might have been a construction outlet onto Pond Path.

SC_5_30_70_1LL-55 :: Aerial Photos of the Long Island Region

My own paper map turned up nothing.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 PM

I forgot to add, if you poke around on the SBU map site, it would appear that the 1938 photos under ASA_7... and ASA_8... are of the northern parts of Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island