Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times

Advertisements

I was given a ticket on the LIE after moving into the HOV lane. I entered it (merging left) where the white line was broken, but the line was broken on the left side of the lane. I was given a ticket for improper lane change, $135 & 3 points.

I thought you could enter the HOV where the painted line was broken. I also read the DMV manual, and it only states that the side of the broken line applies when passing into oncoming traffic (as on a two-lane road).

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
You can only change lanes when the broken line is on the side you want cross. For example, to enter the HOV, the broken line on your immediate left with the solid line to the left of that; to exit, the broken line on your immediate right and the solid line to the right of that.

Last edited by 10-23; 07-20-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM

I can't find anything written that states that. All I find in the DMV manual relates to passing cars in a two-lane road. What you've told me is what the cop said, but I'm looking for something that confirms it.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:04 AM

The basic theory is that you can cross a broken line. You cannot cross a solid line.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:20 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
If you do not know that yo are only supposed to change lanes where the dotted line is on your side of where you are merging from, then perhaps you should retake a drivers ed course.

Do you know when it is legal to change lanes in these instances?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Wow, Pidge. You sure broke it down. I adhere to laws that are actual laws. Now, I'm well aware that you are a net troll who has a picture your grifted off of Google. And I'm impressed. However, the lines in your drawing are yellow. Yellow lines are indicative of traffic headed in two directions. That means one car is going one way, while another car is going the other way. Now, if you read the DMV manual, it says that you can't cross a solid line to pass. Those words mean something, don't you think? Pidge? You still with me, Pidge? Anyway, I wasn't passing anyone. And there was no oncoming traffic. Plus, there doesn't appear to be any written law on the matter.

Maybe next time I'll just ask Pidge. Pidge is helpful, all with her Google pictures, and stuff.

Thanks Pidge!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:45 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
Top Left: A car in either lane can change

Top Right: No lane change allowed from either side

Bottom Left: Only a car in the right lane can change.

Bottom Right: Only a car in the left hand lane can change.

This is assuming you don't have 2 GPSMA's going 20 mph in both lanes tying up traffic behind them for miles.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Obviously, yellow is for two way traffic, white is for one way. But the same rules apply.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Obviously, yellow is for two way traffic, white is for one way. But the same rules apply.
Exactly! SMH at OP's response. People can be so nasty out here and I don't get it.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Pavement Markings

Lines and symbols on the roadway divide lanes and tell you when you can pass other vehicles or change lanes. They also tell you which lanes to use for turns and where you must stop for signs or traffic signals. The arrows on these illustrations show the direction of traffic.

Edge and Lane Lines
Solid lines along the side of the road tell you where its edge is - where the travel lane ends and the shoulder begins. It is illegal to drive across the edge line, except when told to by a police officer or other authorized official or when allowed by an official sign. An edge line that angles toward the center of the road shows that the road is narrower ahead.
Lines that separate lanes of traffic that moves in the same direction are white. Lines that separate traffic that moves in opposite directions are yellow. There may be two lines between lanes and lines can be solid or broken. Read Chapter 6 for the rules on how to pass other vehicles.

What some lane lines indicate:
One broken line: You can pass other vehicles or change lanes if you can safely and not interfere with traffic.

Solid line with broken line: If you are on the side with the solid line, you can not pass other vehicles or go across the line except to make a left turn into a driveway. If you are on the side with the broken line, you can pass if it is safe to and you will not interfere with traffic.

Double solid lines: You can not pass or change lanes. You can not go across the lines except to turn left to enter or leave the highway (e.g., to or from a driveway or to do a U-turn see Chapter 5).

One solid line: You can pass other vehicles or change lanes, but you can only do so when obstructions in the road or traffic conditions make it necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island