Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever called the phone number for "A Place for Mom?"

I see TV commercials for it all the time and supposedly they help families with information about placing the elderly in different types of situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So it only covers a nursing home and no other type of facility? So then LTC insurance will only cover if a person is in really bad shape and absolutely has to have 24-7 care? Can a person be ambulatory and still use their LTC insurance or do they have to lie in bed all day or sit most of the day for it to be applicable?

Isn't Bristol and Sunrise the type of place where people who aren't bad enough for a nursing home go to? Like I heard the tenants have their own apartments, but go eat in a general dining room for the meals and don't drive their own cars, but have drivers with minibuses, etc. to take them to appointments and shopping? More like "partial" assisted living or something.
It is insurance and not all policies are the same, it depends on what you purchased and what is in the policy ( just like homeowners insurance). When the concept was introduced it was with nursing home care in mind. I believe you can find policies that cover assisted living and memory but I am sure they are not cheap. You need to review the policy carefully to make sure you are covered for all of these types of care.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
It is insurance and not all policies are the same, it depends on what you purchased and what is in the policy ( just like homeowners insurance). When the concept was introduced it was with nursing home care in mind. I believe you can find policies that cover assisted living and memory but I am sure they are not cheap. You need to review the policy carefully to make sure you are covered for all of these types of care.
Like Sal noted, all plans are different.

My wife and I have a LTC policy that covers anything from aides to assisted living to long term care, subject to a maximum lifetime total (more than we'll ever need). The premiums are not cheap, but considering the financial consequences of not having the coverage when it's needed, it's a worthwhile investment. The premiums are cheaper the younger you enroll and they do not increase as you age (at least not in my plan).

Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 14,904 times
There's dominican village in amityville

pretty retirement home

Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. My friend found a place in Hempstead - said it's really nice, right by Hofstra University. Things are looking up!

Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. My friend found a place in Hempstead - said it's really nice, right by Hofstra University. Things are looking up!

Know it well, Townhouse. It is nice looking, it ends there. Face it they all are crappy, the degree of crappy is what we are talking about. I have personal experience there. The day we took my family member home they rolled out the red carpet they could relax as the PITA had left after 1/2 year. Stay on top of them and write EVERYTHING down. Have stellar things to say about the therapy dept, they were WONDERFUL. Good luck

Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Know it well, Townhouse. It is nice looking, it ends there. Face it they all are crappy, the degree of crappy is what we are talking about. I have personal experience there. The day we took my family member home they rolled out the red carpet they could relax as the PITA had left after 1/2 year. Stay on top of them and write EVERYTHING down. Have stellar things to say about the therapy dept, they were WONDERFUL. Good luck
My friend is super involved with this and will be all over them. But thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
My friend is super involved with this and will be all over them. But thanks for the heads up.
My family and I spent a minimum of 5 hours per day there all afternoon, then home for dinner with spouse and then back till 8 every night with my sister. They made accusationsto us about the patient who was on a vent that were absolutely an impossibility given the frail state of the patient. CNA didn't want to do their job so accusations were made and the resolution was we demanded a reenactment because we knew it was impossible. We demanded the head of nursing, Carol something, as well as the CNA visit the room and watch. They fired the cna and apologized. Point being, they never asked any questions of the patient or the family as to what happened and simply went with the employees version. I get it, they are paid crap and it is not a pleasant job but .......That is one example.

Pain in back reported, they order an xray of the ankle for a bedridden patient. As long as you can keep up with them it should be ok.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:59 AM

46 posts, read 40,806 times
Bumping this thread, would like to hear some current experiences/opinions of nursing homes/assisted living/memory care on LI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island