Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
A town that might be a good example to look at is Farmingdale. In recent years, the Main Street area and housing area closest to the train station have drastically changed for the better. This is due to the new mayor who removed the parking meters from Main Street to draw more people to the area, the addition of trendy bars (not dives) and restaurants, commuter apartments near the RR station and much more. The area was made more affordable for small business owner to open storefronts and FOR SURE it has made a difference. Farmingdale schools started suffering performance-wise due to inclusion of Amityville residents and the expectation now is that if Farmingdale is becoming a more desirable place to live for young adults, once they get here they will stay to start families and the area will be infused with better-performing students and the schools will go up in ratings. I feel like a multi-faceted approach is needed for suffering towns and there's no "one size fits all" solution.
Totally agree, each town is different, but the revitalization of others can help give clues to how to go about changing things for the better. The ideas of others to have New Cassel incorporate are good as well, since N.Hempstead town pretty much views New Cassel as a dumping ground and I'm sure folks in New Cassel don't appreciate it.
Schools are important as well, if districts cannot be changed then at the very least they need to be overhauled.
The power of a coalition of residents who band together have effects, look at how folks in Hempstead got together to rally and throw the corrupt Betty Cross out.
I do not wish to build a wall around New Cassel, just to do what's best for both. Westbury & New Cassel have different identities and shouldn't keep being grouped together. New Cassel needs it's own version of "downtown". They actually opened a new supermarket called "Ideal Food Basket" on Prospect. From the photos I've seen it looks pretty darn nice, alot nicer than the stinky run down Bravo on Post Ave.
That's something Westbury needs to tackle as well, a better grocery. Bravo is a glorified bodega, it needs to be gutted & completely rebuilt into something nicer like the Ideal Food Basket.
New Cassel incorporating would have positive effects on Westbury as well. Shutting down illegal housing there would keep the criminal element out of both communities, as N.Hempstead town refuses to do anything about it.
I think New Cassel needs a train station too. It would benefit the community, local businesses, and make it appealing to commuters. All I've been saying is that too many group "Westbury" into this huge area, but it is made up of many different communities who are often lost in this general identity. Even in the Village, there's Breezy Hill, Westbury Villas,etc.
I think it would be a huge loss to see this area go the way of Hempstead just because some folks are afraid to administer the medicine this area so badly needs. Whether it is aggressive action against those who bring down our quality of life (slumlords, vagrants,etc), badly performing schools, or train service. Both New Cassel & Westbury would benefit from such changes. Folks in New Cassel should get together and incorporate. Though like you said, you can't just copy another area's plan. Incorporation does not always work, look at the Village of Mastic Beach.
Whether it's village or not, folks in New Cassel and the Village of Westbury need to demand action from their elected officials, or vote them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 AM

429 posts, read 853,417 times
But the thing is, a place that's doing well revenue-wise can't be closed down just because you don't like the clientele it brings in. The only reason a business would close is if they were not paying taxes/following the law or if it's not making money and the business owner closes up shop. If people are shopping there, I don't see why they would close it. And if people are shopping there, then there's some sort of demand for it.

Back to Farmingdale, the Waldbaum's on Main Street closed and there's this HUGE empty lot. It's an eye sore, but it likely closed because of the new Super Stop n' Shop that opened down the block, plus Best Yet is in the area. No one stepped in to close it - no one was shopping there, so it had to close. Plus, right off Main Street is a Spanish Bodega that's been around for years. There must be a demand for it if it can stay open.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Totally agree, each town is different, but the revitalization of others can help give clues to how to go about changing things for the better. The ideas of others to have New Cassel incorporate are good as well, since N.Hempstead town pretty much views New Cassel as a dumping ground and I'm sure folks in New Cassel don't appreciate it.
Schools are important as well, if districts cannot be changed then at the very least they need to be overhauled.
The power of a coalition of residents who band together have effects, look at how folks in Hempstead got together to rally and throw the corrupt Betty Cross out.
I do not wish to build a wall around New Cassel, just to do what's best for both. Westbury & New Cassel have different identities and shouldn't keep being grouped together. New Cassel needs it's own version of "downtown". They actually opened a new supermarket called "Ideal Food Basket" on Prospect. From the photos I've seen it looks pretty darn nice, alot nicer than the stinky run down Bravo on Post Ave.
That's something Westbury needs to tackle as well, a better grocery. Bravo is a glorified bodega, it needs to be gutted & completely rebuilt into something nicer like the Ideal Food Basket.
New Cassel incorporating would have positive effects on Westbury as well. Shutting down illegal housing there would keep the criminal element out of both communities, as N.Hempstead town refuses to do anything about it.
I think New Cassel needs a train station too. It would benefit the community, local businesses, and make it appealing to commuters. All I've been saying is that too many group "Westbury" into this huge area, but it is made up of many different communities who are often lost in this general identity. Even in the Village, there's Breezy Hill, Westbury Villas,etc.
I think it would be a huge loss to see this area go the way of Hempstead just because some folks are afraid to administer the medicine this area so badly needs. Whether it is aggressive action against those who bring down our quality of life (slumlords, vagrants,etc), badly performing schools, or train service. Both New Cassel & Westbury would benefit from such changes. Folks in New Cassel should get together and incorporate. Though like you said, you can't just copy another area's plan. Incorporation does not always work, look at the Village of Mastic Beach.
Whether it's village or not, folks in New Cassel and the Village of Westbury need to demand action from their elected officials, or vote them out.
The fact that you think the village and New Cassel have different identities means you really have no idea of the history. If you were to say New Cassel should be annexed to the village I could understand.

You notice most of your solutions include getting rid of one group of people or another?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
But the thing is, a place that's doing well revenue-wise can't be closed down just because you don't like the clientele it brings in. The only reason a business would close is if they were not paying taxes/following the law or if it's not making money and the business owner closes up shop. If people are shopping there, I don't see why they would close it. And if people are shopping there, then there's some sort of demand for it.

Back to Farmingdale, the Waldbaum's on Main Street closed and there's this HUGE empty lot. It's an eye sore, but it likely closed because of the new Super Stop n' Shop that opened down the block, plus Best Yet is in the area. No one stepped in to close it - no one was shopping there, so it had to close. Plus, right off Main Street is a Spanish Bodega that's been around for years. There must be a demand for it if it can stay open.
When it comes to the Bodegas they contribute to the loitering problem, they make it easy to purchase liquor, and allow the men to congregate, loiter, and drink outside on the street in front of the store. As far as Bravo is concerned, I am not sure how well they do. It's actually changed hands several times and changed names, it was Associated, then C-Town, now Bravo.
The Bodegas probably do the most business of any places on Post Ave, and isn't that a sad thing? Is that what we really want in Westbury? This isn't gentrification, thats for sure.
People won't move into a town with men drinking on the street and sleeping in public spaces (after passing out from drinking). If Westbury wants to attract NEW HOMEOWNERS and NEW BUSINESSES than they better clean this place up. Or let it become the next Hempstead.
Mayor Cavallaro can't have it both ways. The theater & new lounges with gentrification, or little El Salvador. Can't have both.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
The fact that you think the village and New Cassel have different identities means you really have no idea of the history. If you were to say New Cassel should be annexed to the village I could understand.

You notice most of your solutions include getting rid of one group of people or another?
And having houses with 20 or more illegals is an asset how? Or having guys passed out drunk in the village plaza? How is that a benefit to the community?
Medicine rarely tastes good but in order for Westbury to improve it will need some tough medicine, and we can't just pander to groups of people who cause nothing but trouble in the town.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
When it comes to the Bodegas they contribute to the loitering problem, they make it easy to purchase liquor, and allow the men to congregate, loiter, and drink outside on the street in front of the store. As far as Bravo is concerned, I am not sure how well they do. It's actually changed hands several times and changed names, it was Associated, then C-Town, now Bravo.
The Bodegas probably do the most business of any places on Post Ave, and isn't that a sad thing? Is that what we really want in Westbury? This isn't gentrification, thats for sure.
People won't move into a town with men drinking on the street and sleeping in public spaces (after passing out from drinking). If Westbury wants to attract NEW HOMEOWNERS and NEW BUSINESSES than they better clean this place up. Or let it become the next Hempstead.
Mayor Cavallaro can't have it both ways. The theater & new lounges with gentrification, or little El Salvador. Can't have both.
Bodegas don't sell liquor.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Instead of posting pictures of miniscule amounts of litter, that you can find just about anywhere in NY, post some pictures of the passed out drunks. Post some pics of these loiterers drinking alcohol. What do you think about the consumption of alcohol by lirr commuters?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Bodegas don't sell liquor.
Exactly. These guys can go into any deli or supermarket and get what they get in a bodega.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:
And having houses with 20 or more illegals is an asset how? Or having guys passed out drunk in the village plaza? How is that a benefit to the community?
Medicine rarely tastes good but in order for Westbury to improve it will need some tough medicine, and we can't just pander to groups of people who cause nothing but trouble in the town.

Please show me where in my post I stated having 20 people in a house is an asset? Or were I stated having drunks passed out in a plaza is a good thing. Not that I am agreeing with your assessment of these problems.

You ignored what I was actually saying in favor of repeating your talking points.

Westbury Village and New Cassel have been connected as a community long before we were born and mostly likely will be long after we die. You want to create a new village with Carle Place because they share our library, but also want to act as if the many close ties of New Cassel and Westbury are tenuous at best because you don't like the people living there. As I said in my previous post you could have proposed annexing New Cassel to the village formally combining two highly connect areas. This would give the residents of New Cassel greater local control and greatly add to the Westbury tax base from the New Cassel Industrial Park.

I will not even get into the immigration problem because it will send this thread off topic. As for the housing issue, instead just complaining about there are too many people in illegal housing we need to look at an alternative housing model then single family homes creating free market based solutions to the problem.

And why would they add a New Cassel LIRR stop. The Westbury and Hicksville stations are 3 miles apart. With New Cassel sitting in the middle the furthest you could be from the train is 1.5 miles.

I don't even know were to start on your school plan. You do know 4 out of the 6 school are in the village (the HS is technical in Old Westbury). The 2 in New Cassel are elementary schools (grades Pre-K to 2nd) and built according. I won't even try to figure how you turn/use a Mid-sized community center and Commercial/Mixed Use buildings as schools.

And last but not least you think we need more non-violent offender in prison/jail? To steal a funny line I recently watched on TV; "We have more prisoners than China. We don't have more of anything than China. Other then, of couse, debt to China"

Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 14,904 times
westbury has many really nice areas. I know that new castle is hideous and not a good area. I think new castle ruins westbury because the people send their kids to westbury schools

If you are looking at homes in westbury make sure it's east meadow schools or jericho schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island