Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM

63 posts, read 125,919 times

Advertisements

I am an early 30's professional in the process of relocating from NYC to LI for a new job in Central Islip. I found a place I liked right in downtown Sayville, but one concern I have is whether the town, being so close to the beach, gets deserted and depressing in the winter. It will be my first time living alone and my first time living outside a major city since I was 19, and I am afraid that if everything is closed down by 7 PM in town and there's hardly anyone around it will bum me out. So I guess I am asking how alive or dead the downtown is in Sayville in the winter. Also, are there a decent number of people in their 20's and 30's who live in Sayville, or is it mostly a town for older folks?

I would appreciate answers to these questions and any other insight on Sayville that people have.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2dc2nyc2li View Post
I am an early 30's professional in the process of relocating from NYC to LI for a new job in Central Islip. I found a place I liked right in downtown Sayville, but one concern I have is whether the town, being so close to the beach, gets deserted and depressing in the winter. It will be my first time living alone and my first time living outside a major city since I was 19, and I am afraid that if everything is closed down by 7 PM in town and there's hardly anyone around it will bum me out. So I guess I am asking how alive or dead the downtown is in Sayville in the winter. Also, are there a decent number of people in their 20's and 30's who live in Sayville, or is it mostly a town for older folks?

I would appreciate answers to these questions and any other insight on Sayville that people have.

Thanks!

It's not a resort town. The only difference between summer and winter is that it is colder there in the winter.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 PM

260 posts, read 451,263 times
Sayville is quiet in the winter. Nothing like the city. Patchogue may be a little better for you.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
There's a great invention called an automobile that transports one to other places rather quickly. Try one. If you like to drink there are chauffeured ones called taxis.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
I love the beach in the winter. I have friends in Sayville and they love it. A place being depressing is really up to the individual.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Sayville is very much a family oriented town. Not really a "happening" place for singles.

I would recommend Huntington Village for that sort of vibe. But that's a fairly long commute from CI (not mileage wise, but Hunt. Village is a pain to get in and out of). Maybe like someone else suggested, Patchogue, but it's still going through some gentrification, so I'm not sure how you feel about that. Another place you may consider is Babylon Village.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 PM

148 posts, read 248,119 times
Long Island is the worst place for Young Singles, bro. If someone wants you its either for citizenship or as a room mate.

From my experience. But I'm a different person of a different origin and a different situation. So I can't speak for all places.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM

63 posts, read 125,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholtor View Post
Long Island is the worst place for Young Singles, bro. If someone wants you its either for citizenship or as a room mate.

From my experience. But I'm a different person of a different origin and a different situation. So I can't speak for all places.
I'm actually not single. I have a serious boyfriend who lives and works in Manhattan. We have considered trying to find a place halfway in between but have decided it does not make sense for the time being.

So I am not looking to find a significant other, but I do want to make new friends out here and live in an area that does not feel deserted in the winter or after 7 PM. I like Sayville a lot right now but am not sure if it has a very different vibe in the winter.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
The vibe is definitely a bit different in the winter. The town is more vibrant in the summer due to the ferry to and from Fire Island. However, the town is still there and all the shops are open in the winter.

Plus, all the surrounding big box stores and malls and movie theaters remain open during the winter as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2dc2nyc2li View Post
I'm actually not single. I have a serious boyfriend who lives and works in Manhattan. We have considered trying to find a place halfway in between but have decided it does not make sense for the time being.

So I am not looking to find a significant other, but I do want to make new friends out here and live in an area that does not feel deserted in the winter or after 7 PM. I like Sayville a lot right now but am not sure if it has a very different vibe in the winter.
I love Sayville too, but I don't think you will find any kind of nightlife there in the winter. There are a couple of bars within walking distance of Main St, but I'm not sure what the clientele is like. There's the little movie theatre as well as a whole bunch of restaurants to choose from. But I think that's about it.

As I mentioned previously, there are a lot more options in Huntington Village for young people - tons of bars, Jazz clubs, a great restaurant scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island