Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,022 times

Advertisements

I saw some posts saying better stay west of rt 110. And I checked some web like [domain blocked due to spam], it seems there are significantly more violations around rt 110.

I am planing to move to some place around Farmingdale lirr on conklin street (in Farmingdale village but very close to rt 110). It is very convenient to commute to Penn station.

The only concern is safety. Is it as safe as south/west Farmingdale or areas around main street?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
I would stay away from the Conklin Ave area east of Merritt's rd. too many Hispanics from the apartments in the area. That is where the trouble is. Never go north of Conklin around that area.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I would stay away from the Conklin Ave area east of Merritt's rd. too many Hispanics from the apartments in the area. That is where the trouble is. Never go north of Conklin around that area.
So you mean the area around Farmingdale LIRR (which is at east of Merritt's rd and north of conklin st) is also troublesome, right?

Actually yesterday night 10pm I drove across conklin street, and there are several cops and ambulance at the cross of secatogue ave and conklin st, though I don't know what happened.

And in the day time, there are a lot of day labors walking around.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 AM

483 posts, read 670,216 times
Absolutely positively safe. Farmingdale is a great place to raise a family and is probably as far as I would go to commute into Penn.

Most likely the "crimes" you see on 110 are due to the businesses and stores in the area. The Conklin area East of Meritts road is almost all of Farmingdale,.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 AM

413 posts, read 598,736 times
OMG, another thread making a LI town sound like Bed Stuy! Farmingdale is fine. If you're not "safe" enough there, you likely aren't safe anywhere.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
OMG, another thread making a LI town sound like Bed Stuy! Farmingdale is fine. If you're not "safe" enough there, you likely aren't safe anywhere.
I'm pretty sure that, on LI at least, "is it safe?" is actually code for "is it white enough?"

ETA: OP, that may not be what you meant here, but in general, when you're given vague advice like "oh, I don't know how safe that area is," about basically middle class areas like Farmingdale, it's code for "I've seen brown people there."

Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I'm pretty sure that, on LI at least, "is it safe?" is actually code for "is it white enough?"
Are you suggesting African American areas such as Wyandanch and Hempstead are not safe? I am not so sure of that secret code stuff in any case.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post

ETA: OP, that may not be what you meant here, but in general, when you're given vague advice like "oh, I don't know how safe that area is," about basically middle class areas like Farmingdale, it's code for "I've seen brown people there."
There is no reason to answer the OP in Sharptonesque language. Race baiting is not necessary. The OP asked a straight forward question and expects a straight forward answer.

It's not the safest but far from the worst station.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
There is no reason to answer the OP in Sharptonesque language. Race baiting is not necessary. The OP asked a straight forward question and expects a straight forward answer.

This from the guy who wrote a Chic Fil A would do good in Port Jeff Station because "Those people love their chicken", probably the most blatantly racist thing written on this forum.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

I wasn't even responding to OP - I was responding to marigold's question about why so many people on this forum go around making perfectly reasonable areas sound like Bed Stuy (which is why I quoted marigold in my own post). In my personal experience, on LI, "safe" is, for some, a code word for "white." Which is how people end up getting confusing information about places like Farmingdale, which are perfectly safe but not particularly white. (That's not to say that all non-white areas are safe - some aren't, clearly - or that there aren't some majority-white areas on LI that aren't safe - clearly there are some. My only point was to respond to marigold's post with my own thoughts on why people are so quick to label perfectly average places "unsafe.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island