Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times

Advertisements

In need of a new snow blower with winter approaching here on LI.

I only want to hear from people who own a snow blower, live North of the LIE, but east of 110 and west of William Floyd Parkway, who own a colonial and have less than 5K in credit card debt. Also when you add up the 9 digits of your social security number it should be an odd number, not even.

OK, I'm kidding about the requirements to reply.

In all seriousness, what do you use? Benefits/differences between gas and electric powered? Is yours heavy to move around? How many inches can it handle? Etc....

Looking to buy soon. Gracias in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:40 PM

176 posts, read 406,385 times
Airens is by far the best I have experienced. Many from the 70s are still going strong. You will pay for it though.

2-stage, self propelled and 4-cycle engine is a must in my book.

Size depends on driveway I guess. I would look not just at width of the cut but also the height. You can always make more passes, but if the snow is higher than the scoop it makes for very tough going.

My 2 cents from south of 347. Yikes!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:51 PM

717 posts, read 618,927 times
Get a strong gas one, our snow is usually wet and heavy. We also tend to get quite a bit of snow when we do get hit. I have a honda blower, i think its a bit overated and honda tends to cost the most. Simplicity makes some nice machines. Alot of sears craftsman are just chinese junk with different labels on them.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post

In all seriousness, what do you use? Benefits/differences between gas and electric powered? Is yours heavy to move around? How many inches can it handle? Etc....

If you are considering getting electric, don't even bother buying one. Northeast has wet heavy snow, you will need the power. If the snow is wet enough, my 2 stage one sometimes can't even handle it. The whole goal is to save your back.

Same as a lawn mower, just don't gunk up with old gas when the season is over. Wipe it down when you are done to avoid rust from the evil salt

Yes its stupid heavy. I can barely lift my gas one into my SUV. It is maybe a two people operation to lift it up if you ever need to. Self propel is the way too.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:30 PM

36 posts, read 44,423 times
I have a snowblower from lowes. Its a troy built 24 inch. had it 5 years and haven't had a problem. i never drain the gas just put in fuel stabilizer and start it once a month.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If you are considering getting electric, don't even bother buying one. Northeast has wet heavy snow, you will need the power. If the snow is wet enough, my 2 stage one sometimes can't even handle it. The whole goal is to save your back.

Same as a lawn mower, just don't gunk up with old gas when the season is over. Wipe it down when you are done to avoid rust from the evil salt

Yes its stupid heavy. I can barely lift my gas one into my SUV. It is maybe a two people operation to lift it up if you ever need to. Self propel is the way too.
Of course 2 stage is best, but they are massive and very expensive. I borrowed my neighbors single stage old 2 stroke several times last winter and it worked great, I was very surprised.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Of course 2 stage is best, but they are massive and very expensive. I borrowed my neighbors single stage old 2 stroke several times last winter and it worked great, I was very surprised.

I assume most LIer here have the space for it.

Yeah I forgot, you get one....every neighbor wants to be your best friend when it snows in hell. I plowed as much as 5 houses.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
Airens is by far the best I have experienced. Many from the 70s are still going strong. You will pay for it though.

2-stage, self propelled and 4-cycle engine is a must in my book.

Size depends on driveway I guess. I would look not just at width of the cut but also the height. You can always make more passes, but if the snow is higher than the scoop it makes for very tough going.

My 2 cents from south of 347. Yikes!
I second this from north of Main Street ,( RT 25.)

Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Talking Toro Single Stage

I have the 2stroke version which is no longer available and it's a beast. I can honestly say in most cases I'm finished sooner than neighbors with 2stage machines. It even does the end of the driveway if I get to it soon enough. My property is 60x100 with sidewalks, a front walk and a 60ft driveway that's at least two cars wide. I wanted a 2stage but I had no convenient place big enough to store it and the dealer promised I'd be happier with the smaller machine. In my case he was correct. That said it all depends on your specific requirements. One thing though. If you have any unpaved areas or steep inclines then you definitely need a 2stage machine.

Best advice I can give you is to check out this site and do some research. Use the search feature as the current threads are mostly about mowers and other non-winter ope. The link is below. Good luck.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Forum

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigreese120 View Post
I have a snowblower from lowes. Its a troy built 24 inch. had it 5 years and haven't had a problem. i never drain the gas just put in fuel stabilizer and start it once a month.
Same here, chews up the snow like a M F'er
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island