Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by the boys parents? Maybe Im a little behind on the topic. How did they act?

They cheered in the courtroom and shouted "Dan-o Dan-o" and reportedly had a festival in a local bar. I guess that it was the yelling and cheering that kind of put me off. How does that honor their son, I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:36 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
In regards to the White case he should have been aware of what kind, if any, Castle Doctrine NY has.

FWIW I'm permitted to carry concealed and local castle doctrine figures into my predetermined responses and how I train them. While I am for the right of a citizen to be armed, Mr. White should have stayed in his home at the very least to avoid as much trouble as he could and also from a tactical perspective if things went south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_law

Quote:
A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal concept derived from English Common Law, which designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. Within the legal paradigm, therefore, it functions as a type of justifiable homicide.

Castle Doctrines are legislated by state, and not all states in the US have a Castle Doctrine.

Conditions of use

Each state differs with respect to the specific instances in which the Castle Doctrine can be invoked, and what amount of retreat or non-deadly resistance (if any) is required before deadly force can be used.

In general, one (sometimes more) of a variety of conditions must be met before a person can legally use the Castle Doctrine:

* An intruder must be making an attempt to forcibly enter a premises uninvited
* The intruder must be acting illegally -- i.e. the Castle Doctrine does not give the right to shoot officers of the law acting in the course of their legal duties
* The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm, or death, upon an occupant of the home
* The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit a felony
* The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit arson
* The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit burglary
* The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion, or provoked or instigated an intruder to threaten or use deadly force

In all cases, the occupant(s) of the home must be there legally, must not be fugitives from the law, must not be using the Castle Doctrine to aid or abet another person in being a fugitive from the law, and must not use deadly force upon an officer of the law or an office of the peace while they are performing or attempting to perform their legal duties.

Note: the term "home" is used because most states only apply their Castle Doctrine to a place of residence; however, some states extend the protection to other legally-occupied places such as automobiles and places of business.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 PM

41 posts, read 158,569 times
Unhappy White and Black

While I think Mr. White should have locked the doors and waited for the cops, he clearly felt threatened by two carloads of drunk teenagers. What would the response be if races were reversed--a white (not White) family felt threatened by two carloads of black teenagers screaming racial epithets at them and trying to confront them? I do suspect the jurors would have seen it differently. We could do without Al Sharpton's planned march, but really, those kids sound out of control and yet no one thinks the people who let them drink have any blame.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
I'm glad Marty Tankleff is out. I hope they won't retry him. I'm also sure they're going to let the whole thing die out.... The SCPD and the SCDAs office can't pursue it because it will uncover much too much dirt and corruption on their parts. I would love to see that skeevy detective get locked up, though.

The slavery case.... That's a wild case. It's been strange from the start. If they are truly guilty, they should get the max.

Mr. White shouldn't do a day in jail or prison. He should get some kind of probation. If it was a white man defending his property against a group of black teens in the middle of the night, he wouldn't have even gotten arrested.

As for the victim's family? White trash from beginning to end. To "celebrate" the verdict by going out boozing all night? Then, the father shows up at the funeral with a tank top on from his business. Arm pit hair and all. DISGUSTING.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
the slavery case is a no brainer IMO-here in the US you can't keep slaves. That woman has an evilness in her eyes, I hope she rots in jail.

I'm deeply saddened by the conviction of Mr white, It is tragic that young man was killed but I do not believe for a minute that MR white intended to kill anyone & the primal instinct of protecting your home & family is real. The only thing that disgusts me is Sharptons useless, tax evading fat a$$ coming to Suffolk county to make a stink.

Tankleff is innocent, he is my age & our corcles of friends overlapped at the same Belle Terre parties. There is NO way he did it. My stepgrandfather was passionate about horses as was the bagel store owner & all of the horse people refered to Jerry as "the scum of earth".
I hope That crooked cop & the bagel guy get the death sentance for robbing Marty of his young life.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaoin View Post
... but really, those kids sound out of control and yet no one thinks the people who let them drink have any blame.
I think the parents of those brats carry a lot of the blame, and one of them paid a heavy price.

I will admit that I can relate to those kids a bit as more than once my friends and I confronted someone or some other group about a perceived wrong usually against a female friend or sister. In hind sight it was stupid and foolish but we were following a code. Thankfully in our case we'd accept an apology or if it got physical it was just between the two individuals with the grievance.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
but really, those kids sound out of control and yet no one thinks the people who let them drink have any blame.

I believe that the kid's parents shoulder a lot of the blame. Their behavior after the verdict solidified that. I was embarrassed and horrified at the same time.

When my son was younger, we used to go into that Strathmore bagel place so I guess I must have seen all of the characters in that sad sad story. At the time, though, Newsday was very vocal in saying that Marty had insisited that his parents forced him to drive "a crummy old Lincoln". Probably lots of jurors read that statement and sort of were a little prejudiced against him for that.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 44,461 times
If any of you really knew the SCPD and the DA's office you it would not be a total surpise that Marty T.'s case was overturned. Christopher Loliscio's attorney's had filed newly discoverd evidence on more than one occasion and they simply threw it under the rug.

Suffolk County is like the wild west with Judge Roy Bean ruling. God forbid anyone is caught in their web.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaoin View Post
While I think Mr. White should have locked the doors and waited for the cops, he clearly felt threatened by two carloads of drunk teenagers. What would the response be if races were reversed--a white (not White) family felt threatened by two carloads of black teenagers screaming racial epithets at them and trying to confront them? I do suspect the jurors would have seen it differently. We could do without Al Sharpton's planned march, but really, those kids sound out of control and yet no one thinks the people who let them drink have any blame.
The blame extends beyond the actual crime scene, like you've written. There is the party where underaged people drank alcohol and a young women who falsely accused Aaron White of threatening to rape her. Where is their culpability?

I've stated on other forums that by introducing race as a major factor Mr. White's defense was weakened. Mr. White was portrayed as a good neighbor and hard working man who had never had legal troubles. They should have stuck with that and although he allegedly was called the N word, it should have been introduced as a fact in the case and not blown up any further.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I'm glad Marty Tankleff is out. I hope they won't retry him. I'm also sure they're going to let the whole thing die out.... The SCPD and the SCDAs office can't pursue it because it will uncover much too much dirt and corruption on their parts. I would love to see that skeevy detective get locked up, though.
They aren't retrying Martin Tankleff in an effort to cover their own arses. If the nonsense they pulled on this case, and pulled in others, gets out -- heads are gonna roll and prison cells will open. The unjustly accused will finally go free and sue the pants off the county, the justly accused will face new trials and back things up in the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island