Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 AM

481 posts, read 666,039 times

Advertisements

Since now Sprint offer halve your bill, I am thinking should I switch. I live in Westbury. I have no idea how sprint services is.

If you have Sprint, please share. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
I was actually going to create a thread about this too. I've been with AT&T for over 18 years now and I'm thinking about switching to Sprint. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan for my phone but my wife has the 2gb plan. I want both of us to have unlimited plans and I want to lower my payments.

The main reason I'd consider switching to Sprint is because I do not get service in my building at work in the City with AT&T but workers that have service with Sprint & Verizon get good service. I do get great service at home in Western Nassau and most other places. Also the phone I want to get is Unlocked on the Sprint network but locked on the AT&T. I want to root my phone and I'm tired of AT&T locking down the boot loaders of their phones.

If you have Sprint please let us know if you are happy with the service, how is the LTE (4G) coverage, call quality and customer support. Thank you

Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 AM

406 posts, read 874,798 times
This is probably a better resource for you to use. It has real upload/download speeds from actual customers.

Coverage and data performance map for Sprint 4G - Sensorly - Unbiased network information from people just like you

Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan for my phone but my wife has the 2gb plan. I want both of us to have unlimited plans and I want to lower my payments.
If you guys are not aware, T-Mobile has a $30 plan if you don't use a lot of minutes (100), but like it for data. I think it's 5GB before you get throttled. It's through T-Mobile/Walmart.

Personally I would do it but their 4G isn't that good in this area. VZW is still the best in NY IMO.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM

Tmobile 4g actually has great speeds (significantly better than Sprint and on par with Verizon), and the coverage is on par, if not better than, Sprint.

However, if the OP is having trouble inside buildings on AT&T, you may be better off with a CDMA carrier like Sprint. If there is WiFi in the building, however, you can make WiFi calls on Tmobile phones.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM

481 posts, read 666,039 times
And with this halve my bill, we have to get the phone from Sprint right? Can we sign up contract or we have to pay per month? If I have to pay $30 a month, the bill probably come out about the same.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Tmobile 4g actually has great speeds (significantly better than Sprint and on par with Verizon), and the coverage is on par, if not better than, Sprint.

However, if the OP is having trouble inside buildings on AT&T, you may be better off with a CDMA carrier like Sprint. If there is WiFi in the building, however, you can make WiFi calls on Tmobile phones.
I checked out Tmobile too but when I got the price quote from them it ended up being really high. I spent over an hour on the phone with the Tmobile sales rep trying to work on a package but here is what was offered:
A new plan with a Note 4 (with unlimited data, text and voice) and an iPhone 6 (with 2gb data, unlimited voice and text) came out to around $180 a month with $260 up front. I do not want to be paying that much each month. I pay around $150 a month now and I want to pay less than that.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
I checked out Tmobile too but when I got the price quote from them it ended up being really high. I spent over an hour on the phone with the Tmobile sales rep trying to work on a package but here is what was offered:
A new plan with a Note 4 (with unlimited data, text and voice) and an iPhone 6 (with 2gb data, unlimited voice and text) came out to around $180 a month with $260 up front. I do not want to be paying that much each month. I pay around $150 a month now and I want to pay less than that.
How much data do you actually use a month? VZW has share everything plans that come out to about $120/mo. for something like 4gb.

I had unlimited too but had to switch out when I upgraded to a Note 3 (subsidized) and they gave me a 6GB "Verizon Max" plan for the same $30. Turns out I use less than 1GB per month the last 9 months. Unless you're streaming music or Netflix, I don't think you need much.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
How much data do you actually use a month? VZW has share everything plans that come out to about $120/mo. for something like 4gb.

I had unlimited too but had to switch out when I upgraded to a Note 3 (subsidized) and they gave me a 6GB "Verizon Max" plan for the same $30. Turns out I use less than 1GB per month the last 9 months. Unless you're streaming music or Netflix, I don't think you need much.
I use about 4-6gb of data a month but I do not want to get the phone from Verizon because they also lock the boot loader of their phones. I want to be able to root the phone and remove all of the carrier bloat. You can only do that on Sprint and Tmobile.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Deekan, are you looking for a subsidized phone, or are you planning on purchasing the phone outright, or are you paying installments with T-Mobile?

I think you would be looking at similar pricing from Sprint, unless you are leasing the iPhone (which is not a great idea) from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island