Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
This is exactly what I've been speculating about for a number of years. The City keeps moving East. There is no way around it. Parts of Western Nassau County today are indistinguishable from Queens, New York City. The problem with the village of Huntington is that its become a victim of its own success. 20 years ago, I recall someone telling me, "you'll see from Coco's in da Bay to da Walt Whitman Mall, it's gonna be one big village." Uhhh yeah right I thought, well maybe that fellow wasn't half crazy after all.

At some point, why not just say screw it? I'm gonna live in the City instead and get the real City vibe. Funny enough, I've known a lot of young folks that grew up in Suburbia and decided it was less expensive and more beneficial to call their Grandparent's old neighbourhoods in da Bronx and Brooklyn home.
That's not really true, you can usually notice a difference once you cross over the Queens border in most areas

Elmont and Cambria Heights have similarities for instance, but Cambria Heights is considerably more urban once you're a few blocks in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's not really true, you can usually notice a difference once you cross over the Queens border in most areas

Elmont and Cambria Heights have similarities for instance, but Cambria Heights is considerably more urban once you're a few blocks in.

Cambria Heights is nicer!

Also a lot of NE Queens like Whitestone and the, let's call it the Clearview Expressway corridor, is less congested than Great Neck and even some other parts of Nassau.

Huntington is definitely different, more suburban, in character than all of these places. Unfortunately the traffic is not much better though.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Cambria Heights is nicer!

Also a lot of NE Queens like Whitestone and the, let's call it the Clearview Expressway corridor, is less congested than Great Neck and even some other parts of Nassau.

Huntington is definitely different, more suburban, in character than all of these places. Unfortunately the traffic is not much better though.
Also, I can't pretend to have been around 40 years ago, but Google Nassau County population. It's been unchanged for several decades. It's simply not more congested. On the other hand, Suffolk county most definitely has seen an increase and it shows. The highways move but the feeder roads are a mess. I grew up mostly around Huntington (e. Npt.) and it is apparent that the road network in Suffolk has not kept pace with development. It's still a great part of Long Island, though and if I didn't work in the city i would live there in a heartbeat.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 PM

157 posts, read 213,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginbando View Post
I am looking to buy a house in the Robin Park section of Huntington. The house is on Stuyvestant street. I have read there are areas that should be avoided when purchasing a home. Is this a safe area. I would also like to know what assigned means when following the name of a school and the Harbor school district #6

Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginbando View Post
I am looking to buy a house in the Robin Park section of Huntington. The house is on Stuyvestant street. I have read there are areas that should be avoided when purchasing a home. Is this a safe area. I would also like to know what assigned means when following the name of a school and the Harbor school district #6
It is a decent area but keep in mind park avenue is a nightmare at 4pm and later traffic wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island