Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 6,904 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm moving to New York in the next month or so and feel overwhelmed with where to live. I've found homes in my price range in several towns but I'm not sure which would be the better fit.

1. Commute time. For now, I'll be taking the LIRR/subway into Long Island City but prefer a commute of an hour or less.
2. Safety. As a single lady, I need to be comfortable walking to/from public transportation, shopping, etc. alone.
3. Community amenities. Parks and recreational facilities, GOLF courses , pool, health club, grocery stores and shopping, restaurants, etc.

Long Beach, Garden City, Floral Park, Valley Stream, and Port Washington? I'm completely clueless on where to go from this point and thank you ahead of time for your help!!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 04:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Rent first, then buy. That way you can get a feel for the different towns, and you'll be able to take your time making that very important decision when the time comes.

Personally, I like Garden City and Port Washington best out of your list, but the other towns may be more to your taste.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Rent first, then buy. That way you can get a feel for the different towns, and you'll be able to take your time making that very important decision when the time comes.

Personally, I like Garden City and Port Washington best out of your list, but the other towns may be more to your taste.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 PM

Thanks! Are there any towns I'm missing that you'd suggest?

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
What is your budget assuming a rental? That is helpful for suggestions, in addition to your age range. Off hand I also like Rockville Centre.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 AM

35-45 and I'd prefer to stay below $2,000.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerific View Post
35-45 and I'd prefer to stay below $2,000.
Is that a one bed or two bed? Also where are you commuting to each morning?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
If you're commuting to LIC, I don't think Port Washington's a good choice, because those trains mostly don't go to LIC, and they don't stop at Jamaica so I'm not sure where you'd be able to switch to an LIC train.

Long Beach and Garden City are good choices, and Rockville Centre would also fit the bill. You might even be able to go as far out as Huntington (another good area for single folks), but Huntington is in Western Suffolk (further away from LIC), so check the train time before committing to a place there.

Last thing - even in the most walkable parts of Long Island, you are going to find living here without a car to be a real struggle - if you're planning to live without a car, you'd be better off looking for a rental in Queens. Astoria, Long Island City itself, and Forest Hills immediately come to mind as neighborhoods that would meet all of your requirements (and have subways that go to/through LIC, so you'd likely have a one-train commute). Bayside also, although I'm not sure what the commuting situation is like from Bayside to LIC.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
1) Rental in Long beach walking distance to Train and Boardwalk.
2) Rental in RVC walking Distance to Train and Boardwalk
3) Looking to say a few bucks and be near beach and nightlife of Long Beach and RVC try East Rockaway and Lynnbrook. Lots of apt buildings walking distance to train that are nice with parking and some have pools.

4) Woodside, or LIC itself itself is a very short commute to LIC. However, LIC is very expensive.

I am picking southshore as to get to LIC via LIRR you have to go through Jamaica. I skipped GC as mainly married families and older folk.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Wow!! Thanks. This definitely helps. I lived in Astoria over the summer and lived it there but I wouldn't be able to really buy anything in my price range. I certainly loved the walkability and close proximity to my office.

Is it bad to buy? I know taxes are way higher than Salt Lake City but I've always owned a home and not sure if I could rent for a long time.

Oh... Does air traffic at JFK affect any of the surrounding towns you mentioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island