Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, who else is "guilty," as per your comment "LI is unattainable or as "out of reach" as many try to represent it here?" You make it sound like that's a big thing on LI CD and everyone says it. Ironically, it's the ex-pats who post things like this while bragging about how cheap it is in their new location.
You're right that ex-pats are guilty of that bigtime, but I see it from some defensive LIers, too... you know, the "couldn't hack it" stuff. I wasn't calling you out on that.

In the end, it's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Sounds like its a done deal to me, you guys should have it by 2017 from what I read. Up to 1000 mb/s download speed, which is insane.
If they can maintain these prices: https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2657118?hl=en ($70 for internet) for our metro areas too then it will be a good deal. Right now we pay about $110 for triple play - I think I can swallow $130 for gigabit internet + tv instead. And maybe by then I will have gotten with the times and even have a smart tv.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-28-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,325,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
For complete transparency - if money was no object and I could live anywhere it would be San Fran.
It's a nice looking city. I wonder how much those houses go for that you typically see in the post cards.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,325,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Actually, Cleveland is still losing population and has a lot of problems in its outlying areas, but they cleaned up the downtown rather nice. If I was just out of school, I would undoubtedly choose downtown Cleveland over living in some illegal converted basement in souless Long Island.
Downtown Cleveland is a city. Long Island is a suburb. Why is LI soulless?

Last I heard, most apts on LI are illegal.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Downtown Cleveland is a city. Long Island is a suburb. Why is LI soulless?

Last I heard, most apts on LI are illegal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

ny789987 Would fit right in.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:08 AM

161 posts, read 322,046 times
Quote:
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
Coming up there 2/1 and will be there for a week. Not looking forward to the weather. It's 70 down here now.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
funny we dont miss you one bit either

Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 PM

29 posts, read 52,130 times
It was a living hell for me from the age of 5 until I left for college at 18. Were it not for the fact that my parents still live there, I would leave and never return again.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
There is a lot of discussion on here about how much you save in property taxes after moving off of Long Island. Another major consideration is how much time you save in commuting and sitting in traffic. I used to know people who would commute EVERY DAY from easy of Ronkonkoma. INSANE! Here is another comment in another thread. It is so on point:

"You would have to go out of your way to push your daily commute to an hour in Pittsburgh.

The average Pittsburgh commute (and I'm talking suburbs to the city) is less than 30 minutes, pretty much regardless of where you choose to live.

It's extremely refreshing for transplanted New Yorkers. A couple of colleagues of mine who moved from NYC to Pittsburgh bought themselves a nice big house in Cranberry. The commute from their 1-bedroom rental deep into New Jersey was close to 90 minutes on a good day. Their commute now from their 5-bedroom house with a swimming pool is 35 minutes.

They still can't understand why their new Pittsburgh colleagues ask them why they live "so far away" in Cranberry."

Old 02-02-2015, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 11,072 times
Quote:
There is a lot of discussion on here about how much you save in property taxes after moving off of Long Island. Another major consideration is how much time you save in commuting and sitting in traffic. I used to know people who would commute EVERY DAY from easy of Ronkonkoma. INSANE! Here is another comment in another thread. It is so on point:

"You would have to go out of your way to push your daily commute to an hour in Pittsburgh.

The average Pittsburgh commute (and I'm talking suburbs to the city) is less than 30 minutes, pretty much regardless of where you choose to live.

It's extremely refreshing for transplanted New Yorkers. A couple of colleagues of mine who moved from NYC to Pittsburgh bought themselves a nice big house in Cranberry. The commute from their 1-bedroom rental deep into New Jersey was close to 90 minutes on a good day. Their commute now from their 5-bedroom house with a swimming pool is 35 minutes.

They still can't understand why their new Pittsburgh colleagues ask them why they live "so far away" in Cranberry."
The time saved argument is relative.

I was looking into buying a place upstate. We stayed up in our area of choice for two weeks last summer. While it was beautiful and peaceful and the rat-race induced stress was reduced to a minimum, what we learned whilst being up there was that while traffic sucks, we still had to drive a great deal every time we wanted to do something. So yea, traffic sucks, but Cub Scouts are 2 minutes away, little league is 5 minutes away, school is 3 minutes away, bread and milk are 4 minutes away, church is right here, etc etc etc...the time shaved off your daily work commute comes back tenfold on your personal time.

This example applies to rural re-locations only and especially affects those with young kids. YMMV.

~MB (waiting for deletion)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island