Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 AM

300 posts, read 553,565 times

Advertisements

Do any other contractors/builders think it is crazy that homeowners do not review their budget with architects before they design a big project?

The first question an Architect should ask is, "How much is your budget for construction?" This will allow the architect to comfortably design within the homeowners budget.. Seems like common sense right?

There is nothing worse then having a prospective customer pay for architecture plans and then having the project be out of budget? Seems like this is a constant trend I've seen lately..

People get the money for a second floor addition but they get plans for a whole house alteration and wonder why all of their bids are so high?!

(New to the site. Saw people talk about trades on here so I figured I give it a shot...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM

201 posts, read 333,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Do any other contractors/builders think it is crazy that homeowners do not review their budget with architects before they design a big project?

The first question an Architect should ask is, "How much is your budget for construction?" This will allow the architect to comfortably design within the homeowners budget.. Seems like common sense right?

There is nothing worse then having a prospective customer pay for architecture plans and then having the project be out of budget? Seems like this is a constant trend I've seen lately..

People get the money for a second floor addition but they get plans for a whole house alteration and wonder why all of their bids are so high?!

(New to the site. Saw people talk about trades on here so I figured I give it a shot...)
People are dreamers and it cost them. Look how many refinanced over 100% of their homes in adjustable rate mortgages only to have the rate jump to where they couldn't afford it and the value of their home nosedive. The real issue here is why wouldn't a competent architect ask? Because all they care about is getting paid for the plans thats why.

I do understand your frustration, but thats part of the job.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,616 times
You've had some really bad luck with architects. I've been meeting with architects. And so far, everyone of them has asked me what my build budget is. And half the ones I've met were just googled, not referred.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
People are dreamers and it cost them. Look how many refinanced over 100% of their homes in adjustable rate mortgages only to have the rate jump to where they couldn't afford it and the value of their home nosedive. The real issue here is why wouldn't a competent architect ask? Because all they care about is getting paid for the plans thats why.

I do understand your frustration, but thats part of the job.
You are right... I think the problem is that many architects don't care the construction cost because it does not effect them or they don't know the true cost.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
You've had some really bad luck with architects. I've been meeting with architects. And so far, everyone of them has asked me what my build budget is. And half the ones I've met were just googled, not referred.
My anger comes from two incidents this week. Both estimate were whole house alterations (extension,second floor addition,kitchen,3 baths,siding, basically a new home, etc) and the client said that they never once talked budget with the architect... Both prospective clients used different architects.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 AM

67 posts, read 150,785 times
Default Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I sent you a DM

Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 PM

89 posts, read 133,034 times
I like to believe that most architects try and stay within budget but I have heard of horror stories where architects will ignore the budget so their scope is bigger and they can charge more.

Many architects also do not know the cost of construction projects. Many architects claim to have been in the construction industry when in reality all they have done is a few summer jobs as a laborer.. Many of them haven't actually done estimating so they don't know the trust cost.

Although a good architect should bring up budget to the homeowner, a sensible homeowner should continually remind the architect of the budget to make sure there are no surprises.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 AM

201 posts, read 333,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
I like to believe that most architects try and stay within budget but I have heard of horror stories where architects will ignore the budget so their scope is bigger and they can charge more.

Many architects also do not know the cost of construction projects. Many architects claim to have been in the construction industry when in reality all they have done is a few summer jobs as a laborer.. Many of them haven't actually done estimating so they don't know the trust cost.

Although a good architect should bring up budget to the homeowner, a sensible homeowner should continually remind the architect of the budget to make sure there are no surprises.
I agree theres probably as many shady architects out there as contractors.

However if a architect can draw plans for an extension, garage, second floor addition ect, I'm sure he can figure out the cost of the job. I mean the contractor uses to the plans to figure the job right?

I know many construction estimaters, most currently out of work and most of them would probably drop dead if they ever had to do a real days work.

I don't understand why you think and keep claiming that pricing a job is such a mystery?

how do you have the time to post here every day if your such a wiz at your job?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:54 AM

186 posts, read 243,931 times
My advice before hiring an architect is first find a reputable contractor you want to work with on your project to discuss your ideas and to put together a preliminary cost analysis. The initial consultation will organize your ideas, fine tune the details (somewhat) and provide you with a decent cost expectation for the overall project. What good is it to pay out thousands of dollars for design/plans/drawings only to realize you cannot afford to have your project built by a reputable contractor? More people have held their rolled up dreams in hand searching for a contractor to build to their budget. Search long enough and you’ll find somebody to take your money and good luck with that.

Architects may not be the best source to provide accurate construction costs. Don’t get upset architects, but you don’t know my costs to do what you guys and gals draw up. You may have a general idea, but only I can determine the price to bring your plans to completion. Fact is unless part of their fee includes a detailed cost analysis by the contractor doing the work you may be in for a surprise once you put your project out for bid. Unless of course the architect works directly with a contractor (a design/build firm)

Keep in mind, contractors are involved with actual costs of construction day in and day out (I'm looking at costs all the time) and are your best source for a realistic estimate of your preliminary design, plus they are very much in-tune with all the elements and variables of remodeling that can eat up dollars. Believe me when I say this, Your project will go over budget every time and that's a fact.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:09 AM

89 posts, read 133,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
I agree theres probably as many shady architects out there as contractors.

However if a architect can draw plans for an extension, garage, second floor addition ect, I'm sure he can figure out the cost of the job. I mean the contractor uses to the plans to figure the job right?

I know many construction estimaters, most currently out of work and most of them would probably drop dead if they ever had to do a real days work.

I don't understand why you think and keep claiming that pricing a job is such a mystery?

how do you have the time to post here every day if your such a wiz at your job?

Mr.Malakalot when will stop being rude? Just wondering? Who cares if I take 15 minutes out of my day to check out some threads and make a post? Isn't that why we are all here? Don't people join to voice their opinions and bull**** about some stuff they enjoy to talk about.. Seems like you always just come off rude. You should see the dm's I get about you from other people. I'm not the only one who feels this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island