Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I oppose the soup kitchen in Babylon

NOW, i'm all for the homeless getting fed and helped;

but
Just not in your backyard
Quote:
1. The church is on a small side street with little traffic; so if this soup kitchen is established here then the impoverished individuals/beggers would be the primary foot traffic in this area and it would look like Skid Row quick.
The church is on a side street 1 block south of Montauk Hwy. A number of the buildings on FI Ave between Montauk and Prospect St are used for commercial purposes. A couple of them (using google) have multiple electric meters. This isn't the pristine part of town which looks down its collective nose at the hoi polloi. People need to drive up and down FI Ave to get to a number of venues further south such as the dock (do I need to show proof of income?) the Venetian (good party spot back in the John Anthony days), the Beach House, and some fish and clam place. Isn't there a fishing station over there, too? It's hardly as though Fire Island Ave is exclusive.

Quote:
2. Most homeless people are unsanitary and many (not all) have extensive histories of drug/alcohol use, criminal records or are sex offenders. And most of these people just loiter around all day...it's really not attractive, safe or desirable. How would you like something like that in YOUR community?
Did you know: there's a 43 year old Level 2 registered sex offender living and a 39 year old Level 1 living south of Montauk. They both like violating underage girls. Looks like somebody has already opened Pandora's box in Babylon. I would wager there are plenty of residents in the community south of Montauk popping pills, snorting drugs, and battling the bottle.

[quote3. A soup kitchen and similar resources would be far more effective and better reach those in need if it were in a struggling area with a higher concentration of poverty (like Wyandanch, Brentwood, Copiague, North Amityville, Central Islip, etc)[/quote] There is need all over Long Island. Plenty of people living from paycheck to paycheck. You don't know who is putting on airs and has their house mortgaged to the hilt north of south of Montauk. I believe the expression is 'keeping up appearances' so as not to show their shame.

Quote:
At first glance, this situation makes it seems like the people of Babylon are evil rich snobs who want the poor innocent homeless to starve to death; but they just maintain high standards for their community.
At first or fiftieth glance the people in Babylon are coming across just like that. I hope to Hell that none of them ever falls on hard times. Soup kitchens don't serve humble pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,455,115 times
No Soup for You

Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it????

Why do many here ASSume that people who get help from a food pantry are all "homeless" or "drug addicts".

What absolute stupidity!

We need to put it next-door to your house.

Add the rest to Great Neck, South Merrick, and Roslyn.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
No Soup for You
I ended up choking on an apple when I read that. Great quip.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:02 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
We need to put it next-door to your house.

Like I said, ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't object to a food pantry being located in my neighborhood or next to my home.

Seems many here are ignorant or just downright stupid and refuse to open their eyes to what's actually happening on Long Island.

I do hope this soup kitchen/food pantry opens and that it will help many people who are in need.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,523,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Like I said, ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't object to a food pantry being located in my neighborhood or next to my home.

Seems many here are ignorant or just downright stupid and refuse to open their eyes to what's actually happening on Long Island.

I do hope this soup kitchen/food pantry opens and that it will help many people who are in need.
I hope it doesn't open and the people in need freeze to death. Everyone's got an opinion right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island