Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 PM

260 posts, read 451,372 times

Advertisements

Huge one over by the west Southern State entrance from the Fed Building in C.I.
Anyone see any other dangerous craters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,876 times
I hit a couple of brutal ones on northbound Straight Path near Southern Pkwy, but honestly they're all over now that we're warming up in the day and freezing again at night. Between last winter and this one, tire shops and wheel repair guys must be raking it in.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 AM

764 posts, read 1,554,150 times
The state has been doing a decent job on their roads. The problem is the county and towns. I have a feeling they are waiting until it stops doing the freeze and thaw thing before fixing them.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 35,606 times
I've had three flat tires from pot holes this year. My friend suggested to take a picture of the pot hole, my flat tires and my receipt and submit it all to the town. Sometimes they give you money towards it.

The worst one for me on the corner of Newbridge Rd and Merrick Rd. There's like the grand canyon of potholes there!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM

481 posts, read 666,263 times
I saw news12 talked about potholes. You can definitely sent your receipt to the town. I remember last year was bad too. But feel like this year is worst. Especially like last night, rainy and dark, you can't see the road at all.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,177 times
I don't get it...how are you people hitting these potholes? You see them, you avoid them, easy solution. If you don't see them, you're not paying close enough attention.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I don't get it...how are you people hitting these potholes? You see them, you avoid them, easy solution. If you don't see them, you're not paying close enough attention.
Sure, except for the ones filled with water from all the melting snow genius.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Sometimes there isn't eactly anywhere to go. This is Long Island, not the middle of nowhere, we do have cars that are with us on the road.....

I hit a huge one the other day on N. Broadway in N. Massapequa, I saw it, but had a car in the lane next to me at the time so couldn't swerve out of the way, hit it and it tore my tire to shreds.

Bought the car last year with the tire & wheel contract so I'm covered on that, but sometimes you simply can't avoid them. Swerve and rish crashing into another car, or hit a pothole, I will choose pothole.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Sure, except for the ones filled with water from all the melting snow genius.
when I'm driving, I certainly notice these 'puddles'...and do you know what I assume? That they're potholes filled with water, and I avoid them. Are you someone who just assumes they're safe? Genius?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
when I'm driving, I certainly notice these 'puddles'...and do you know what I assume? That they're potholes filled with water, and I avoid them. Are you someone who just assumes they're safe? Genius?

As smash255 pointed out, there are times when there is not enough room on the road to "avoid" the suspect puddles (or even visible potholes) if there is oncoming traffic for instance - especially on local narrow roads. Sometimes the only thing left to do is pray and slow down :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island