Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryinlove View Post
Hi Coney,

Which area(s) in the south shore would you say have the most Chinese population?
Here's percentages of Asians from City-Data mostly along the Babylon LIRR line. I ordered it from the Queens border (West) to the Suffolk border (East):

Valley Stream 13.9%

Lynbrook 4.5%

Rockville Centre 2.0%

Baldwin 4.1%

Freeport 3.8%

Merrick 2.6%

Bellmore 2.9%

Wantagh 2.0%

Seaford 2.2%

Massapequa 1.1%

Massapequa Park 1.8%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,744,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Here's percentages of Asians from City-Data mostly along the Babylon LIRR line. I ordered it from the Queens border (West) to the Suffolk border (East):

Valley Stream 13.9%

Lynbrook 4.5%

Rockville Centre 2.0%

Baldwin 4.1%

Freeport 3.8%

Merrick 2.6%

Bellmore 2.9%

Wantagh 2.0%

Seaford 2.2%

Massapequa 1.1%

Massapequa Park 1.8%
Surprised about Massapequa so I guess I learned something new. Problem here is that we don't know how many of these are southeast Asians. Someone else mentioned that most Chinese and Japanese students are in the top rated north shore schools and that is probably true. These statistics don't really help people with relocation when they lump all "Asian" or all "European" people in one group. Hewlett and Oceanside are omitted on this list and there some Chinese students, athough a minority, are in those schools. The reason I brought up Hewlett is because it is fairly close to Freeport, has some, but not a lot of Chinese students, has a small group of Hispanic and African-American students, has some Indian students, large Jewish student population, rental apartments within the OP's budget, and a strong push towards academics and high achievement in extra-curriculars, importance of grades type of culture in the community and schools, similar to north shore communities. The reality is that the school districts wtih the greatest strengths in academics generally have high Asian and Jewish populations. That's not to say that other districts don't have high-achieving students participating in honors programs, but the former tend to have tiger parents, big class sizes in the honors classes and a high level of participation in the academic competitions, music competitions, sports that emphasize individualized ability such as swimming, ice skating, gymnastics. I know I am making some generalizations.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Surprised about Massapequa so I guess I learned something new. Problem here is that we don't know how many of these are southeast Asians. Someone else mentioned that most Chinese and Japanese students are in the top rated north shore schools and that is probably true. These statistics don't really help people with relocation when they lump all "Asian" or all "European" people in one group. Hewlett and Oceanside are omitted on this list and there some Chinese students, athough a minority, are in those schools. The reason I brought up Hewlett is because it is fairly close to Freeport, has some, but not a lot of Chinese students, has a small group of Hispanic and African-American students, has some Indian students, large Jewish student population, rental apartments within the OP's budget, and a strong push towards academics and high achievement in extra-curriculars, importance of grades type of culture in the community and schools, similar to north shore communities. The reality is that the school districts wtih the greatest strengths in academics generally have high Asian and Jewish populations. That's not to say that other districts don't have high-achieving students participating in honors programs, but the former tend to have tiger parents, big class sizes in the honors classes and a high level of participation in the academic competitions, music competitions, sports that emphasize individualized ability such as swimming, ice skating, gymnastics. I know I am making some generalizations.
I was only running along the Babylon LIRR branch since it's an easy W to E concept and includes Freeport in the middle. I thought adding all the other south shore towns would make the OP's head spin and would not reveal any remarkable Asian populations anyway (as in Hewlett on the Far Rockaway branch or Oceanside on the Long Beach branch) so I didn't include them. (Actually, I didn't have much hope for most of the Babylon branch either ... which held true.)

Oceanside
Asian = 2.4%

Hewlett
Asian = 7.0%

I used City-Data for all these statistics. If anyone can find another one for Long Island that breaks "Asian" down into further categories, please post it!

Yes, you sure are making a lot of generalizations ...

Old 03-17-2015, 05:13 PM

352 posts, read 388,093 times
Quote:
I was only running along the Babylon LIRR branch since it's an easy W to E concept and includes Freeport in the middle. I thought adding all the other south shore towns would make the OP's head spin and would not reveal any remarkable Asian populations anyway (as in Hewlett on the Far Rockaway branch or Oceanside on the Long Beach branch) so I didn't include them. (Actually, I didn't have much hope for most of the Babylon branch either ... which held true.)

Oceanside
Asian = 2.4%

Hewlett
Asian = 7.0%

I used City-Data for all these statistics. If anyone can find another one for Long Island that breaks "Asian" down into further categories, please post it!

Just curious, where would Plainview stand on the list?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 PM

352 posts, read 388,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
Just curious, where would Plainview stand on the list?
OK, I answered my own question, and you can look here Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedfor finer breakdown by races. I was surprised that Deer Park in Suffolk was 6% total Asian.

Also, this might be better Plainview, NY Population and Races - USA.com™ 11% Asian, the largest percent of those being Korean.

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,744,641 times
Quote:

Oceanside
Asian = 2.4%

Hewlett
Asian = 7.0%

Thanks for the information. I don't think the OP is going to be using the LIRR so the Bablyon Branch doesn't really matter. Lumping all "Asian" nationalities isn't really going to help the OP. I know there are high performing students throughout a variety of school districts on Long Island, not to mention the high achievers at the elite Catholic High Schools. I get that. Are there Asian and Jewish students that flunk out and misbehave in school? Of course!

Last edited by Coney; 03-17-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM

30 posts, read 39,020 times
Thank you all for your replies. I know north shore has more Chinese because of the good schools. I have a friend living in Manhasset. We actually do not mind living in an area of less Chinese population as long as it has diversities of some level.
For now, our targeted areas will be south shore places for closer commute and paying less for the rent.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,511,469 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I know north shore has more Chinese because of the good schools. I have a friend living in Manhasset. We actually do not mind living in an area of less Chinese population as long as it has diversities of some level.
For now, our targeted areas will be south shore places for closer commute and paying less for the rent.
Not a lot of diversity unless you look at Valley Stream, parts of RVC, and E Massapequa. If you're worried about your child being accepted in mostly white areas, I'd say you'll hVe no problems. White people see Asians and automatically assume they're brilliant, so they accept them readily. If you're black or Hispanic? Not so much.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,332,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Not a lot of diversity unless you look at Valley Stream, parts of RVC, and E Massapequa. If you're worried about your child being accepted in mostly white areas, I'd say you'll hVe no problems. White people see Asians and automatically assume they're brilliant, so they accept them readily. If you're black or Hispanic? Not so much.
Problem is its hard to find diverse areas that don't have problems with crime at least on LI. Parts of Valley Stream are nice and remind me of the way Westbury used to be, but it's a slippery slope, and we all know what Westbury now deals with.
I would consider Valley Stream as well for myself, at least south & east parts, the train service is pretty good compared to Westbury. But what if it turns into another Westbury in 5 years with all the problems that go along with it?
Though Valley Stream has more going for it, much better train service for one, making it more attractive to young couples and young folks in general who may want to leave the car at home, it looks pretty walkable too.
I hope Valley Stream can thrive and doesn't take the direction my town has taken. Though the northern and western parts (esp bordering Queens) look not so great.
Though, according to Neighborhood Scout Valley Stream is signifcantly safer than Westbury (by almost 10 points)!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,462,663 times
Quote:
And the short distance to Flushing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island