Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,468 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had an interview with the co-op board on Wednesday night that we felt went really well (based on what they were saying, it seemed like we were going to be approved). They told us to call the management company in the morning to see their final decision. I did, but the receptionist said the property manager isn't in and that she'd call me back back later in the morning.

Heard nothing that day. The next day (today), nothing as well. We really like this place and the last thing I want to do is come off as a pain in the ass, but should I follow up on Monday (assuming I don't hear back today)? Normally I would have expected to hear back in 2 weeks or so, but since the board said to follow up Thursday morning I'm not sure why there's a delay.

Any advice here would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:14 PM

198 posts, read 252,795 times
Are you working with a real estate agent ... if yes let her/him be PIA.... that is her job ... and the board/management never know who this is coming from...

Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 PM

I'm working with a broker. That's not a bad idea, especially since she's representing both us and the seller. Thank you!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:19 PM

294 posts, read 880,159 times
I agree that you should call your RE agent. He/she can find out for you. If that is not an option, then call again yourself. Worse case, you leave a message. No real harm done.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,511,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopbuyer View Post
I'm working with a broker. That's not a bad idea, especially since she's representing both us and the seller. Thank you!

AND she's making double commission as both buyer/seller agent. Have HER earn her money.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Thank you! My biggest fear with calling is that they'll tell me that already told me they were going to call me and relay my annoyance to the board. I know, i know, overly paranoid, but just don't want to do anything that could remotely hurt our chances.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 PM

294 posts, read 880,159 times
I think calling today shows you're interested in the apartment and if the board sees it as annoying, living there will ultimately be a nightmare for you anyway.

Also, the agent is not representing both you and the seller. S/he is representing the seller, not you. The seller is her client and you are her customer. Her fiduciary duty is to the seller, she has no contractual relationship to you. She must be fair and honest with you, but her allegiance is to the seller. This should have been explained to you when you first met the agent. Makes no difference now, just be aware.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:55 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,179,062 times
Just to prepare you. A coop board can turn you down just because you have brown hair. DH was on a coop board and they would interview people and review the financials and he would come home and bang his head and say the board turned them down for no good reason. It is not unheard of.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,511,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
I think calling today shows you're interested in the apartment and if the board sees it as annoying, living there will ultimately be a nightmare for you anyway.

Also, the agent is not representing both you and the seller. S/he is representing the seller, not you. The seller is her client and you are her customer. Her fiduciary duty is to the seller, she has no contractual relationship to you. She must be fair and honest with you, but her allegiance is to the seller. This should have been explained to you when you first met the agent. Makes no difference now, just be aware.

While true, she stands to make double commission. The broker should put the call in because it benefits the seller AND her fee.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,347,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just to prepare you. A coop board can turn you down just because you have brown hair. DH was on a coop board and they would interview people and review the financials and he would come home and bang his head and say the board turned them down for no good reason. It is not unheard of.
Agreed. I lived in a coop and the board president told me that my meeting with them was a formality so they could see/talk to me and make a final judgment about me. The financials were always approved before the meeting. And yes, have your agent follow up with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island