Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 AM
HIS HIS started this thread

146 posts, read 279,892 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking to expand my driveway. Right now I have only a one and a half car driveway and there are several questions that come to mind.

1- Do I need to apply for a permit ? I plan on expanding my driveway horizontally - so i can have two cars side by side. I have a lot of space on both sides.

2- Whats the best material to use ? (Asphalt, Concrete or Pavers)

3- Can i also expand the skirt from the curb ? Do I need a permit ?

4- Any one has any ideas on the costs or anyone wants to recommend someone who did a job for them and they loved it ?

Any help / insight will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
To cut the curb you need a permit. The rest who knows.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Pavers is best (and most expensive). The others crack like nobody's business after a few years despite re-coating and maintenance every couple years.

When I had the town do my sidewalk, they also did the driveway apron. Without asking, they expanded the skirt too to accommodate my existing 2-car driveway. I didn't have a permit.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
1) no permit required
2) go with Pavers (most expensive but not that much more than concrete)
concrete will crack
asphalt only last 10 - 12 years
3)Yes permit required. Curb is town property
4) I'm getting it done next year, but for a paver driveway (650 sqft) is about $7000.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 PM
HIS HIS started this thread

146 posts, read 279,892 times
Wow 7K for 650 Sq Ft is steep.

I am not sure about the size of my driveway but i also wanted to update the walkway going up to the house and also the patio in the back.

my budget for the whole job is about 10K - so hopefully i can do pavers within that price range.

I guess i will need to apply for a permit to adjust the apron of the sidewalk.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:42 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
The quote I got was a total of $9000
680 sqft driverway and walkway - all pavers
70 linear feet of concrete sidewalk
13 feet concrete apron

I got 3 quotes and $9000 was the cheapest.
Most people get away without getting a permit for the apron unless you have lousy neighbors.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
I know it's not an option for many people (disabilities, age, etc) but if you can do the pavers yourself, you will save an absolute ton of money and it is not hard to do at all. Buy a good pair of knee-pads and rent the saw for cutting the pavers when needed, and you should be good to go.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM

50 posts, read 68,709 times
This is part of our plans. I'm trying to remember if our contractor said we need a permit if we do apron to the street. Ah husband said yes bc we are widening it. We haven't decided yet. It will depend on the stone work we do on front of house if we can afford it. Our contractor is great I will pass his info. 516-987-3812 trademark general contracting. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM
A&H

108 posts, read 456,629 times
Hi,
Agree with most replies you received.
1. no permit needed
2. I will suggest to also think about long term plan of yours. Do you plan to live at this house for a long time or plan to relocate in 5 years, etc? Blacktop and concrete are less expensive and true they could crack. However if done properly and maintain properly they can less for a long time. You can also combine either blacktop or concrete with pavers to make it look more interesting.
3. You would need a permit. You mentioned you have space on both sides of your driveway so if plan properly you can expand both sides so both cars can still easily go in and out without redoing your current skirt.
4. Typically for pavers you can expect $9.5 to $11 per sqft. For blue stone or tumbled pavers the price/sqft will go much higher. as for concrete you can expect $6 to $7 per sqft. Please note these numbers is just to give you an idea. removing or adding dirt, regrading landscape, etc are all factors that could change the price.
A mason I've work with called Manny is a good fella. You are welcome to ask him to look at your project. 516-902-4149. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 AM

406 posts, read 874,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
Hi,
Agree with most replies you received.
1. no permit needed
2. I will suggest to also think about long term plan of yours. Do you plan to live at this house for a long time or plan to relocate in 5 years, etc? Blacktop and concrete are less expensive and true they could crack. However if done properly and maintain properly they can less for a long time. You can also combine either blacktop or concrete with pavers to make it look more interesting.
3. You would need a permit. You mentioned you have space on both sides of your driveway so if plan properly you can expand both sides so both cars can still easily go in and out without redoing your current skirt.
4. Typically for pavers you can expect $9.5 to $11 per sqft. For blue stone or tumbled pavers the price/sqft will go much higher. as for concrete you can expect $6 to $7 per sqft. Please note these numbers is just to give you an idea. removing or adding dirt, regrading landscape, etc are all factors that could change the price.
A mason I've work with called Manny is a good fella. You are welcome to ask him to look at your project. 516-902-4149. Good luck.
Do you have pictures of Manny's work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island