Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times

Advertisements

I think it's rude to invalidate someone's opinion formed on the basis of personal experience. Disagree all you want; post your own opinion too. There's no reason to disparage another poster because you disagree with his/her opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I think it's rude to invalidate someone's opinion formed on the basis of personal experience. Disagree all you want; post your own opinion too. There's no reason to disparage another poster because you disagree with his/her opinion.
No...my opinion is that the Easter Bunny is real. Dont you dare disparage that.

I see no problem disparaging an opinion when it is nothing but nonsense.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM

But you didn't disparage the opinion, you called the other poster crazy, in effect. There is a difference.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
But you didn't disparage the opinion, you called the other poster crazy, in effect. There is a difference.

do you know anyone who has attended that school or has children that attended?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 AM

?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, both.
My co-worker's daughter goes there and I hear nothing but positive things from her.

My daughter just started middle school and about 8 kids she graduated with are going to Kellenburg. One of her friends was at orientation, parents submitted applications, etc and then next thing we know, the kid is going to Kellenburg. If the school was anything like what the other poster said, I doubt the school would be so highly regarded and it would have been all over the media for mistreating students. Private schools and Catholic schools are strict, no doubt about it and there is zero tolerance for poor grades or bad behavior but if a school had a negative reputation I don't think we would see the continued enrollment so I'm not very confident in the accuracy of that other person's post.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHellcat01 View Post
I can tell you about Kellenberg High School and believe me when I say it was the worst school I've ever been to in my entire life! The teachers in that school were better than the teachers I had in the public high school I graduated from but the teachers in that school are also insanely strict. I'll give you some examples so you'll understand where I'm coming from with this: I had an English teacher who would assign four or five different homework assignments a night, I would show up with three of the four or four of the five somedays and she would tell me I needed to stay after school for detention. I must've had detention from this one teacher at least once a week while I was there it was so horrible. Another thing I can tell you is that if you didn't go to detention from the original teacher you had detention from, then you had to serve detention with the principal, and they would have you write until you're arm was ready to fall off. After detention with the principal you were then given two demerits on top of everything else you already went through.

One other example I can give you as to how strict the school is is that if you have six or more people sitting at your lunch table, they will make you stay after lunch period to clean up things off the floor. You won't be given any brooms, or mops, or vacuums, or anything like that they expect you to clean stuff off the floor with your bare hands! It is the most disgusting, degrading, dehumanizing thing that this school does to it's students! The students in Kellenberg are treated worse than sweat shop workers if you want my honest opinion on that miserable place. Not only did I have to stay after lunch period but I was late for my next class because of this and my teacher would always ask me why I was late for class. Because this garbage school is making me stay after lunch to clean stuff off the floor is why I'm late for class, maybe if they didn't have that rule in place I could get to class on time for once! Seriously that was annoying and inconvenient to deal with every time.

The students in that school were the most ignorant, intolerant, close minded, stuck up, cliquish people I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The students were the worst part about that school because of how nasty and vicious they were. You think people in public schools are bad, believe me people in catholic schools can be just as bad if not worse. The public high school that I graduated from, Lawrence High School in Cedarhurst was so much better. Students were so much nicer, and more accepting in that school it was such a breath of fresh air compared to how Kellenberg was. Some other problems with Kellenberg are that it's over the top with it's religious beliefs as well. It's like that school is trying to brainwash you with their beliefs, I wouldn't be surprised if Kellenberg works for Pat Robertson they are so over the top with their WWJD propaganda that they shove in their student's faces. I'm not lying to you when I say that those WWJD stickers are all over the walls, the doors, the bulletin boards, even on student's lockers it's just too much to look at. Honestly I think you're better off going to public school rather than spending extra money to go to Kellenberg. Believe me when I say it's not worth the money, there's no famous alumni or famous faculty that ever graduated from this school. The only famous alumni they have is some broad who works for the Food Network and that's it. I can't say to you enough that you don't want to come here you will hate it trust me.
in other words, if you're a lazy student who likes to get away without completing assignments and you're the type of person who's surprised that a catholic high school might place some emphasis on living a catholic lifestyle, then this is NOT the place for you!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM

45 posts, read 88,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
WildHellCat is off her/his rocker. I know many people who went in the past (sisters) and currently attend (neighbors), they have nothing but good things to say about the school. Sure, it's a Catholic school, so you can't just get up and walk around the classroom whenever you feel like it, no chewing gum, no interrupting a speaker, etc...
I'm not off my rocker you must be off your rocker to be so unaccepting and unwilling to accept someone's personal experience that they had in the school. So you know people who went to the school but did you go to the school yourself? Until you spend a day in the school you don't know what it's like and you don't have the right to say to other people that they are "off their rocker".

Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM

45 posts, read 88,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Did you even read her post? She got punished for (a) not doing her homework; (b) skipping detention that she was given for not doing her homework; and (c) not cleaning up after herself after lunch. I'm really not seeing a problem here (well, not a problem with the school, anyway).
First off did you read my post? I said only one of several homework assignments I did not do was what I was punished for, because I didn't see it on the board not because I didn't want to do it. Second of all I did clean up after myself, the school just expected me to clean up other people's messes after lunch period because I had six or more people at my lunch table. You need to go back and read what I wrote because you clearly are not understanding where I'm coming from with this, and you have no right to say I deserve to be punished.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I can tell you about Kellenberg High School and believe me when I say it was the worst school I've ever been to in my entire life! The teachers in that school were better than the teachers I had in the public high school I graduated from but the teachers in that school are also insanely strict. I'll give you some examples so you'll understand where I'm coming from with this: I had an English teacher who would assign four or five different homework assignments a night, I would show up with three of the four or four of the five somedays .
Quote:
First off did you read my post? I said only one of several homework assignments I did not do was what I was punished for, because I didn't see it on the board not because I didn't want to do it. Second of all I did clean up after myself, the school just expected me to clean up other people's messes after lunch period because I had six or more people at my lunch table. You need to go back and read what I wrote because you clearly are not understanding where I'm coming from with this, and you have no right to say I deserve to be punished.
You need to go back and re-read your post because you never said anything about not seeing homework on the board. You clearly state you did 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5. If you missed the assignment, why not explain that? Sounds like you didn't do them because of the amount that was assigned.

I'm going to ask my co-worker about this 6 or more at a table and see what she says.

Edit--I showed my co-worker your post. She got a good laugh out of it. Her daughter is a sophmore and she has another daughter who graduated a few years ago. Her daughters never had to clean the floor with their bare hands if there were 6 or more at a table.

Last edited by bellakin123; 10-11-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island