Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 AM

80 posts, read 498,190 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Kellenburg Latin School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:45 PM

54 posts, read 225,211 times
Kellenburg has an excellent reputation. It is currently on of the most competitative for entrance. It is highly desired amoung the catholic high school applicants. As all school there are internal issues but as any school none are good or bad-its finding one that meets the need of your child and your family.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn11 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Kellenburg Latin School.
I went there for a month, granted it was 11 years ago but I thought it was awful. It was unbearably overcrowded, the bus ride required a "transfer" and there were more drugs, thugs, egos and snobbery than the public schools I came from (and went back to). On top of all that, the educational staff was very "disciplinarian" which I do not think works in modern times. I know there's some older people on here who wish nuns still beat kids with rulers but get real it's 2008. Maybe it's changed, couldn't tell you. Everyone I know who went to Catholic school was a real mess or socially awkward later on in life.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 23,426 times
I think you should have given it more then a month!! My daughter is in Kellenberg Memorial High school and she loves it. Did take a while but she does not regret sticking it out. She still keeps her friends from public middle school and she has her Kellenberg friends and the difference in these children are amazing. And I live in Massapequa which is a good school district. Its has been taken over by Chaminade (and I think anyone would be lying if they said they wouldn't love their son to Graduate from there) And because of that as far as prices go, along with Chaminade, they both are the most reasonable priced Catholic schools on Long Island. My other daughter starts St Anthony's in Sept. If you can afford it (which is tuff with Long Island taxes) its worth it. But remember, how your child is in school depends on the parents & your home life !!!! Catholic school is no substitute for poor parenting!!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Chaminade? Isn't that an all boys school? No way I would ever do that to my kids haha.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanicjo View Post
I think you should have given it more then a month!! My daughter is in Kellenberg Memorial High school and she loves it. Did take a while but she does not regret sticking it out. She still keeps her friends from public middle school and she has her Kellenberg friends and the difference in these children are amazing. And I live in Massapequa which is a good school district. Its has been taken over by Chaminade (and I think anyone would be lying if they said they wouldn't love their son to Graduate from there) And because of that as far as prices go, along with Chaminade, they both are the most reasonable priced Catholic schools on Long Island. My other daughter starts St Anthony's in Sept. If you can afford it (which is tuff with Long Island taxes) its worth it. But remember, how your child is in school depends on the parents & your home life !!!! Catholic school is no substitute for poor parenting!!
Growing up, my friends who lived in the Massapequa district attended Holy Family, a few of my friends who lived north -- Bethpage, Plainvew -- attended Holy Trinity, and one of the guys I knew attended Chaminade. I was public school all the way; my parent's threatened me with parochial school if my grades slipped...I couldn't bear the thought of wearing skirts!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 23,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Growing up, my friends who lived in the Massapequa district attended Holy Family, a few of my friends who lived north -- Bethpage, Plainvew -- attended Holy Trinity, and one of the guys I knew attended Chaminade. I was public school all the way; my parent's threatened me with parochial school if my grades slipped...I couldn't bear the thought of wearing skirts!

When my daughter took the entrance exam there where over 9200 applicants that took it for about only the most 7000 slots, if that much. There is no more threatening a child if they don't shape up, if you don't have the grades and are not an all around involved child, these schools don't want you. Its very competitive now in 2007. Even St. Anthonty's scouts out kids that are good in sports (as long as they have that 85 average) and will give them half off their tuition to attend. Even if its not Catholic...Friends, Waldoff or etc..,
if you believe in their values of teaching then its worth every penny. I agree the skirts are the worst!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
My boys go to aprochial school now and I would love them to go to either St. Anthonys or Chaminade.

Just think of the opportunities that would be available to them having either of those two on a resume.

My children are going to school to learn and to be educated. I told my son that Chaminade is only boys and his comment ; oh good, no cheer leaders to be distracted by.

He is only 9

Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanicjo View Post
When my daughter took the entrance exam there where over 9200 applicants that took it for about only the most 7000 slots, if that much. There is no more threatening a child if they don't shape up, if you don't have the grades and are not an all around involved child, these schools don't want you. Its very competitive now in 2007. Even St. Anthonty's scouts out kids that are good in sports (as long as they have that 85 average) and will give them half off their tuition to attend. Even if its not Catholic...Friends, Waldoff or etc..,
if you believe in their values of teaching then its worth every penny. I agree the skirts are the worst!!!
My parents were dealing with a student who "slipped" in honors math to a 90 -- Boys on the brain, typical teenage nonsense. They knew that I didn't want to be taken away from my friends, so the idea of sending me off to a parochial school was my greatest nightmare, followed by wearing the dreaded skirt! Mercifully, I had friends at Family & Trinity, so it wouldn't have been a total nightmare. They had to stop suggesting Trinity as I had several boyfriends there.

If we didn't live so far away, I would have liked for my son to have attended Chaminade; but how much of a life can a student have if they are spending a fair portion of their day commuting? All work and no play....

Some of my son's friends attend a private religious based prep school within our community. The tuition is outrageous; I could never afford to pay it. When comparing the tuition against the parochial schools, the parochial schools are quite the bargain.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My boys go to aprochial school now and I would love them to go to either St. Anthonys or Chaminade.

Just think of the opportunities that would be available to them having either of those two on a resume.

My children are going to school to learn and to be educated. I told my son that Chaminade is only boys and his comment ; oh good, no cheer leaders to be distracted by.

He is only 9
He's at the Cootie stage Please get back to us when the hormones hit

Of two of the boys I dated who went to Trinity: one is blue collar. The other went to St Johns, and is now a civil servant out west. My friend who went to Chaminade was killed in a BWI accident (he was a passenger) before he had the chance to bloom. I believe he would have been someone significant.

My public school boyfriends: one is a union boss, one is some sort of holistic MD, and one is an attorney.

If you have a good student and dedicated student, no matter whether they are public, parochial or privately educated, they are going to shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island