Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 23,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
He's at the Cootie stage Please get back to us when the hormones hit

If you have a good student and dedicated student, no matter whether they are public, parochial or privately educated, they are going to shine.

You are so right!! And when you are a good dedicated parent your children shine no matter where they go!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 05:07 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
He's at the Cootie stage Please get back to us when the hormones hit

Of two of the boys I dated who went to Trinity: one is blue collar. The other went to St Johns, and is now a civil servant out west. My friend who went to Chaminade was killed in a BWI accident (he was a passenger) before he had the chance to bloom. I believe he would have been someone significant.

My public school boyfriends: one is a union boss, one is some sort of holistic MD, and one is an attorney.

If you have a good student and dedicated student, no matter whether they are public, parochial or privately educated, they are going to shine.

I do agree with your comment. No matter where they are, they will be ok if they are given the basics from home. I do hear that the privates schools do have drug use etc but also that they clamp down on stuff earlier.
d

Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I do agree with your comment. No matter where they are, they will be ok if they are given the basics from home. I do hear that the privates schools do have drug use etc but also that they clamp down on stuff earlier.
d
In terms of drugs or violence, the private schools have the upper hand as they can expell a student whereas the public schools are obligated by law to retain the student (after the situation is properly addressed.)

Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
I agree, a good student with a good work ethic and supportive family will do well anywhere.

As for Kellenberg and Chaminade, you cannot beat the level of education you are receiving and no doubt gives you a leg up on life and the chance to make life long friends and business contacts.

They also limit the distractions, like drugs, from the good kids.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 15,854 times
Talking kellenberg- about it

first of all it is kellenberg. there is a high school in it also, the in school starts at 5th grade and you take co-op when your in 8th and kellenberg will accept you into their high school if you take the coop and go to latin school there you are a priority ot automatically in. to get into the latin school how ever you need to take a test. the schools grounds are beautiful and there are animals like birds and dogs all over the place. it is huge. i know lots people who go there they are all very happy. there are lots of sports teams and a club for everyone. it is right by nassau collisuem. its private school, coed and the tuition is about 6800 but its pretty good considering mines like 1 grand more only mines all girls.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I agree, a good student with a good work ethic and supportive family will do well anywhere.

As for Kellenberg and Chaminade, you cannot beat the level of education you are receiving and no doubt gives you a leg up on life and the chance to make life long friends and business contacts.

They also limit the distractions, like drugs, from the good kids.
When I went to Kellenberg, kids were blowing lines of cocaine in the bathroom and pain killers were getting popped left and right. In public school all we ever did was smoke some weed......maybe it's different now, I always heard the same from friends who went to other private/catholic schools. Holy Trinity was supposed to be a real nuthouse.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM

16 posts, read 97,088 times
That school has problems. I'm happy I go to public school. Two of my freinds who went in 9th grade came back last year for 10th. also they don't have a prom becuase of the problems there school had with it.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,187 times
Default Kellenberg Latin School

My son goes there. It’s a great school, nice teachers, nice families, beautiful grounds, good kids. It’s very structured & disciplined. The kids learn to follow rules and need to be accountable for their actions (Something that seems to lack in society these days). Latin School goes from 6-8th grade.

It was a change for him coming from public school and took some getting used to. Kids and parents need to give time for the adjustment and making new friends. Stick it out you won’t be sorry.

Many sports & Clubs –something for everyone. They get a great education there. The Latin school is part of the High school.. One set back is many of the boy athletes leave the latin school and to go onto Chaminade .

High school students don’t need to take regents exams . “Kellenberg Memorial High School is registered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and by The New York State Association of Independent Schools”

Wish they had driver’s ed at the school and extra points for HS kids in honors as in other schools.
Someone mentioned bus transfers—that only depend where you live and your school district’s transportation

Last edited by pathope; 04-26-2008 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 03:06 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
When I went to Kellenberg, kids were blowing lines of cocaine in the bathroom and pain killers were getting popped left and right. In public school all we ever did was smoke some weed......maybe it's different now, I always heard the same from friends who went to other private/catholic schools. Holy Trinity was supposed to be a real nuthouse.
yep, in my day we laughed at the kids whose parents were taking them out to send them to Catholic school (St Anthony's usually) because they were afraid of drugs... get all the kids whose parents are afraid of them going "bad" into one building, oh boy.

And this is LI, not the Bronx. Unless you live in Hempstead or Roosevelt your kids will get a good education. If you want them to go to Catholic school because you're an active Catholic and want the religious education, then go ahead. But Catholic school, even Chaminade, won't give them the "leg up" it would elsewhere. The public school kids are just as smart and motivated.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:45 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
yep, in my day we laughed at the kids whose parents were taking them out to send them to Catholic school (St Anthony's usually) because they were afraid of drugs... get all the kids whose parents are afraid of them going "bad" into one building, oh boy.

And this is LI, not the Bronx. Unless you live in Hempstead or Roosevelt your kids will get a good education. If you want them to go to Catholic school because you're an active Catholic and want the religious education, then go ahead. But Catholic school, even Chaminade, won't give them the "leg up" it would elsewhere. The public school kids are just as smart and motivated.
I agree that a public education on long island is much better than most public schools in the nation. Many of my neighbors kids have gone to great schools from Holy Cross to Cornell.

I disagree, as a grad from Chaminade, being a graduate of that school help has help me more that I could ever discribe. worth every cent. Its not for everyone, but Chaminade will take you far.

A good and motivated student will do great no matter where they attend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island