Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM

131 posts, read 610,225 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone that lives in Long Island has seen homes that have boats, Rv's, travel trailers, enclosed race car trailers, quad trailers etc in the driveway.

If these are legal in the town and do not affect anything related to zoning, how do you feel about them? Have you ever had a neighbor that had any of the above in the driveway?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
I live on a canal, so I see a lot of this. We don't have a driveway, so we put our boat in storage during the winter. I don't mind it if the boat is pulled to the end of a driveway and covered up nicely.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people on my street now with giant trucks with the trailers attached. We do not have long driveways at all on my street due to the canal, so people pull in and their trailer blocks the sidewalk and edges out onto the street. Or their trucks are so large, they just block the driveway on their own. Or people who put their boats up on cinder blocks, uncovered, in their yard. This is a bit trashy looking, IMO.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that someone is now parking their car directly parallel to their house. On their lawn. Right in front of the house. There are spots 1 house up, and spots across the street. It looks really bad.

I have to believe that is against some sort of town code.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
I'm sure everyone that lives in Long Island has seen homes that have boats, Rv's, travel trailers, enclosed race car trailers, quad trailers etc in the driveway.

If these are legal in the town and do not affect anything related to zoning, how do you feel about them? Have you ever had a neighbor that had any of the above in the driveway?
I grew up on the south shore in Nassau and saw quite a bit of what you describe. While I think it is wonderful that people have hobbies they enjoy, I do believe that there ought to be a limit as to where these recreational vehicles, boats and trailers are parked. There should be a requirement that there be adequate driveway beneath them, and that they be stored out of the front yard.

I've seen some homes where the boat/rv/trailer is parked down the side of the house or behind gates in the rear of the property. It keeps the front yard looking neat and doesn't take away from the homeowner's front driveway parking. Losing a driveway parking spot only forces more cars onto the street -- where I grew up, the curbside parking was already fairly congested!

We have a boat and a snowmobile trailer. The way my property is situated, we are able to store them behind the garage where they are unseen from the street and the neighbors all around us. My spouse and I both didn't want to be the type of neighbor with a boat on the front lawn.

As for newtoli, I have complete sympathy for you. Some of the people who are buying these oversized trucks are doing so as a status symbol for their egos; egos so large that they squelch out common sense and a sense of courtesy for their neighbors.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM

I actually walk my dog to the end of the street and back for exercise a lot, and it's really inconsiderate of people to block sidewalks. I have to step into the street, around the giant truck and back onto the sidewalk. If you have a truck that won't even fit in your driveway, park it on the street!

This also increases my chance of stepping in dog poop, since I seem to be the only person who follows my dog around with baggies. There is always tons of it by the curb. But that's a whollle different thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I actually walk my dog to the end of the street and back for exercise a lot, and it's really inconsiderate of people to block sidewalks. I have to step into the street, around the giant truck and back onto the sidewalk. If you have a truck that won't even fit in your driveway, park it on the street!

This also increases my chance of stepping in dog poop, since I seem to be the only person who follows my dog around with baggies. There is always tons of it by the curb.
There's something that should be code: if vehicle parking infringes upon a pedestrian's ability to use the sidewalk (ie your situation -- stepping into the road) the vehicle should only be parked in the street.

This is a major safety issue! Several children on LI have been backed over (some fatally) by SUVs exiting a driveway. If a vehicle is so big as to disrupt the pedestrian path, it is creating a major safety issue. Children on bicycles, roller skates, on foot might dart a little far into the street and into the way of a car. They might be lingering behind the vehicle and be unseen when the driver goes to leave.

Adults, senior citizens, disabled people shouldn't have their safety compromised, either.

Nassau County tickets people who park on the street facing the wrong direction (against the flow.) They should be issuing fines for vehicles blocking the sidewalks, too.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm pretty sure it is against code... but EVERYONE does it here. They could generate some ticket revenue and maybe my taxes would be lower!

The problem is that some people think that since they own the house, it means they also own the sidewalk/curb. Monopolizing those areas, which are public use for the neighborhood, is just not very neighborly. Of course, I will never say anything, because neighbor wars are far, far, worse than stepping off the sidewalk.

The car on the lawn is way too much for me right now. I thought maybe they had a party and it was a one time thing, but the car is consistently parked right in front of the house in their yard, blocking the entire sidewalk in front of their house as well.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,441 times
Lol there is a rule or law about that as per parking and sidewalks and driveways...
Can't block the sidewalk, and 18" off of curb cuts..and parking is to be faced the same as traffic is heading for that side....
As per parking on the lawn....i think that's owners discretion...

Problem is there not enforced, but i would rather the police do that then do them damned annoying check points for seat belts... I sat in traffic last night for 25 minutes and then i finally see flashing lights and when i finally got thru no one was dead....wth...i lost 25 minutes of life to check for seat belts.... c'mon on! on a major roadway no less!!!

Where i used to live my trailer and boat were on the side of the house, i made it so they could both fit there and were kinda out of sight...you had to turn your head to see them...
Honestly i hate seeing a boat covered totally in some horrid looking blue or other color tarp, i think it looks a lot better when just the interior section is tarped off and when your eye catches it you know it's a boat and now wth is that tremendous blue/brown thing...
There are some places where they don't have that room to do that..

When i moved i made sure there was enough room for things not to be all over...1. for aesthetic reasons, 2. for people not saying look at what they got, 3. thieves travel... thieves don't stay and only rob in bad neighborhoods..

I put unfortunately the tallest fence i was allowed to put up and keep them in the back of the house and back of the property (i hate the fence code).

The boat and trailer are in the back out of sight along with the car trailer, but you can if you are walking on the other side of the street see the top of the car trailer from outside since it is taller then the fence, but again you gotta look for it.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is a major safety issue! Several children on LI have been backed over (some fatally) by SUVs exiting a driveway.
This is one that drives me nuts...

You are Never supposed to back into traffic.

People don't get that though, you back into your driveway, not out of it..

Property tax would be nothing for a year if they enforced that.

You should always back into the driveway and even spots at parking lots..

The idea and reasoning behind that is as you pull up you have surveyed the situation and seen it all from the perfect angle there is no danger and then you back into the driveway or spot in the parking lot.

Then when you come out you are pulling into traffic and pedestrian area, and aren't in blind spots and aren't putting yourself into a situation of killing someone....
Buuut people are lazy and or don't know or care to.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,805 times
my neighborhood has a few power boats & sailboats but tons of RVs & campers. They are all newer nice looking things and I don't mind it. I'm actually impressed by how many of my neighbors & their children are avid campers & travelers. I personally think that is terrific lifestyle, better than sitting on a soccor field all weekend & eating mcdonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island