Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,865,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildriver View Post
That is because people dont follow rules and police pick and choose which they want to get involved with.

Seems everyone has forgotten you dont ever BACK into traffic.

That means you back into the driveway, back into the parking spot, not pull in
Who made that rule? 95% of people drive straight into their driveways; 98% pull into parking spaces. You sound like someone from a small minority trying to change the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 AM

20,176 posts, read 20,953,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Who made that rule? 95% of people drive straight into their driveways; 98% pull into parking spaces. You sound like someone from a small minority trying to change the world.
It's a lose-lose anyway.
People will just complain about the extra 28 seconds it takes to back into a driveway or parking spot.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
That is because people dont follow rules and police pick and choose which they want to get involved with.

There's no such law requiring that and in fact in some places there are signs stating "head in parking only" (Garden City comes to mind).

I always back in if I can, but it's not a law.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM

259 posts, read 175,178 times
Quote:

What parking lots or driveways do you see that people back into? 99% are pulled into. There is no rule or law (with some local exceptions where there are signs posted ) to back into parking lot spots.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,058,679 times
With more and more cars being equipped with rear cameras, one would think the backing-up risk would become progressively less. Of course, there's nothing to force the driver to LOOK at the camera screen. "Ya can't cure stupid"....

The only times I ever back into the driveway are when I have something very heavy to take out of the trunk and put into the garage (rare), or before a forecast snowstorm. That's because even though I don't live on a heavily traveled street, I back up slowly and constantly check in all directions before my rear wheels cross the curb-line. No jackrabbit-backups here.

In parking lots I always parked according to whether or not I'd be putting things into the trunk when I returned to the car. My present car's only 1 year old and so I'm still in "new car parking mode", meaning I park in the boonies well away from other cars or errant shopping carts, LOL

Someone mentioned villages that mandate head-in parking only; I think Lindenhurst is another one of those, IIRC.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM

62 posts, read 58,398 times
Boats in driveways ? OMG !!

We should use the states legal right to violence to do something about this.

We can have the state take their money with fines and if they refuse to pay have state employees come to their house kidnap them at gunpoint and put them in cages and put them on trial.

Boats in driveways, awful situation. Violence and threats of violence from the state is the only solution.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,264 times
I see as usual, I shouldn't be shocked by people who don't know.
Backing into traffic is a 2 point ticket, just because it isn't enforced doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It should be enforced though as many people seem to think they can just back out and everyone else has to stop.
I found this out when my asshat neighbor backed into my parked car, so saying something that comes with 2 points isn't a law, well you're just wrong. .
If a sign specifically says to pull in , well let's not be dumb..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island