Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 AM

159 posts, read 279,593 times

Advertisements

Maybe they meant Town of Hempstead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
They don't want to be in a flood zone.
not all of amityville is in a flood zone plus in a condo the association pays a master flood insurance policy not the individual owner and if you have a upper unit it is low risk

Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
not all of amityville is in a flood zone plus in a condo the association pays a master flood insurance policy not the individual owner and if you have a upper unit it is low risk
Good to know!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Maybe they meant Town of Hempstead?
Sounds like it. Property could be in Oceanside or Baldwin Harbor - taxes + flood insurance apply in many locations.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Sounds like it. Property could be in Oceanside or Baldwin Harbor - taxes + flood insurance apply in many locations.
If they are paying 27K in a flood zone on the water they did not complete the Superstorm Sandy Property Tax Relief form by due date or have not been grieving taxes regularly.

I grieved my taxes every year between 2010 and 2014 and when I got the Sandy Tax Break on top of that it really helped. I actually have taxable income in 2015 in regards to property tax as my refund check I got in January 2015 for the October 2012 to 2014 taxes paid at pre-sandy values is much higher than my 2015 property taxes.

Most of us are sending in estimated tax payments in 2015 to cover the extra income taxes owed by not only having no real estate tax write off but for fact the amount in excess is taxable income.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
actually in baldwin harbor the older jewish folk parted the sea so damage was limited. The catholics in long beach got creamed.

Just kidding. Baldwin harbor had very bad damage just not covered a lot by media

Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post

I grieved my taxes every year between 2010 and 2014.

You might be surprised how many homeowners never grieve for one reason or another. I see it quite often.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You might be surprised how many homeowners never grieve for one reason or another. I see it quite often.
The superstorm sandy one was particularly amazing. That was free cash in the form of a check for 15 minutes of work.

But you had to fill it out yourself. Some folks who always hired folks could not be bothered. One condo complex where 30 units were damaged I heard only two folks filled out the form. It was a one page handwritten from you could fill out at a slow pace in 15 minutes, then just attached the damage info. Due date I helped neighbor fill it out in under five minutes and he got $5,000 back. $1,000 dollar an hour for his work, nothing for me. But still folks did not fill the damm form out.

My neighbors in indentical houses pay $5,000 a year more taxes each year. Crazy

Old 05-18-2015, 04:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Remsenburg. Look around there. Beautiful any time of year but the winter. Don't get a house on the water if you don't want to worry about flooding. Also, Hampton Bays is pretty reasonable regarding prices and RE taxes. You have to do your homework by getting in a car and driving around different neighborhoods and getting the feel of a place. Can't be done on the internet.

Also, check out Montauk - RE taxes very reasonable. Any place on the Eastern end of LI are better for RE taxes. Have to check town by town. They're all different.

For the winter: a vacation condo including and south of S. Carolina and down the Eastern seaboard. You can spend the worst of the winter there and then fly back up here for 3/4 of the year. Taxes on a condo if you do your homework shouldn't be more than $1K/year. All you really need for a few months of the winter is a vacation shack - nothing fancy. Friends of ours bought a 2-bedroom condo in Ft. Myers, Fla., and the taxes are around a thousand for the year.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Remsenburg, Medford, Patchogue, Montauk - does anyone read an entire post anymore??? These people own a business in Merrick and don't want to be more than 30 minutes away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island