Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times

Advertisements

No, it's not a rant.
I lived in Smithtown for the last few years and I think this is one of the best places to live in the entire country.

In my personal opinion, folks who see the financial cost as a drawback of living in this part of Suffolk County may not realize that every penny is worth it when you compare the air quality, cleanliness, safe neighbourhoods, health care facilities, great schools, easy access to awesome beaches, shopping, and unlimited fun things to do being on the east coast.

I appreciate the city officials to keep the city well organized and kudos to its residents who call it home, and who are generally very nice. You guys are the best!

I have to move to Midwest due to family; howver, I will dearly miss Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:50 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, it's not a rant.
I lived in Smithtown for the last few years and I think this is one of the best places to live in the entire country.

In my personal opinion, folks who see the financial cost as a drawback of living in this part of Suffolk County may not realize that every penny is worth it when you compare the air quality, cleanliness, safe neighbourhoods, health care facilities, great schools, easy access to awesome beaches, shopping, and unlimited fun things to do being on the east coast.

I appreciate the city officials to keep the city well organized and kudos to its residents who call it home, and who are generally very nice. You guys are the best!

I have to move to Midwest due to family; howver, I will dearly miss Long Island.
You're aware that you can get all of that outside of LI for a fraction of the cost, right? Anyway, good luck, safe travels.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
No worries, you can get all those things elsewhere, (except beaches, and that's a bummer if you like them that you're moving to the midwest). And if you think your elected officials in NY are doing a good job, you're probably in for a nice surprise in your new location.

Good luck with your move, and I hope you like your new home!

Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
No, it's not a rant.
every penny is worth it when you compare the air quality, cleanliness, safe neighbourhoods, health care facilities, great schools, easy access to awesome beaches, shopping, and unlimited fun things to do
Compared to NYC, I think your comparisons are apt.

However, compared to the country as a whole you hopefully will find that Smithtown isn't really that special. If you're moving to the middle of nowhere you might miss a lot, but many areas have all of these things, except perhaps beaches. And north shore beaches aren't really all that great anyway compared to those in FL or CA.

And by the way, in April 2013 Newsday printed:

"Suffolk County has the worst smog pollution in New York and for the 14th consecutive year received an "F" grade in an American Lung Assocation report evaluating air quality."

The air ain't that clean on LI.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
No, it's not a rant.

Once you get used to your new home, and see what life in REAL America is really like, you'll be kicking yourself for staying on that over-priced, over-taxed; over-regulated island for so long!

When you see what it's like to pay a fraction of what you were paying in property taxes, and yet have smooth, clean roads; and civil servants who actually do some work, and who may even be reasonable human beings; firehouses which don't cost $27 Million, and yet they can put out the fires and clean-up the accidents just as well or better than the drunken LI asshats. You may even find that you actually like your neighbors; and may even find yourself talking to them!

For what you pay to live on that island, the streets should be paved with gold; instead, they are paved with feces.

Come back to this forum a year from now, and let us know how you feel then. Other towns also have stores- and they are usually easier to get to than the ones on Lawn Guyland (even if they're further away) and have better stuff and nicer people.

Wait....you'll see.

I've had not so much as an inkling of a desire to ever set foot back in that rat's nest since leaving 14 years ago.

Yeah, being a former bayman, I miss the water- but I missed it when I lived there too- as the beaches are always closed due to water quality; you can't go to the good ones unless you're a local resident or pay an outrageous fee; and the bay is now wall-to-wall boats...so the water was a moot point anyway.

One thing you may truly miss: The pizza.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
^ you've convinced me, I'm never leaving now.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:32 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
I'm leaving also, and have lots of complaints about LI, but it's nice seeing someone say goodbye without trashing the place. Very classy, OP.

Happy trails and good luck in your new home.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I think its a given that most will leave when retirement comes. I know for me that I will be gone. I hate the northeast winters more and more by the year.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I'm leaving also, and have lots of complaints about LI, but it's nice seeing someone say goodbye without trashing the place. Very classy, OP.

Happy trails and good luck in your new home.
Well said. Instead of looking back with angst it's much better to look forward with anticipation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island