Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:41 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baklava1981 View Post
So how does this work? The LIRR parking lot was turned into a carnival in the middle of this work week, displacing all the folks who take the LIRR in the morning. I missed my train today because I had to drive around to find parking and ended up half an hour late for work and was very annoyed.

The MTA should issue some sort of forewarning before renting out their lots to other businesses, especially considering we pay for parking in those lots. Also, who makes money off this? I’m sure the carnival has to pay for a permit for this so who’s pocketing those dollars?

They did issue a warning. I saw signs a few days prior all over saying parking lot will be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:57 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
They did issue a warning. I saw signs a few days prior all over saying parking lot will be closed.
Then I will change my original statement. Yes they gave notice but what other options do patrons have? I get the impression from posts on CDLI that parking spots for the train are a rare commodity; to take that resource away is not reasonable. They are charging for the permits even if the cost is very slight and not providing the service that people paid for, not fair.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Then I will change my original statement. Yes they gave notice but what other options do patrons have? I get the impression from posts on CDLI that parking spots for the train are a rare commodity; to take that resource away is not reasonable. They are charging for the permits even if the cost is very slight and not providing the service that people paid for, not fair.

I had no issue getting parking this week. Yes they take up spots but in the summer there are less people working as well so there is less people parking in general. If they were doing this fair in September or October it would have been a much bigger issue.

There were spots as late as 8am all week. If you work later, leave earlier but for me it wasn't an issue.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:33 PM

44 posts, read 53,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I doubt anyone at the town is pocketing what little permit money it generates for such an event. The town is poor, especially after all the salaries, so it probably just goes in a little pool - nobody is benefiting from it, but I'm sure it helps keep the deficit a bit lower. Remember when even Mangano was talking about putting up ads along our roads to generate income? It is unfortunate that they have to do things this way. I'm not sure the TOB is being wasteful like the county though. They do a good job overall with discounted/free events and facilities. They do very well with upkeep.
Then they should control the salaries. No reason to be paying 6 figures to HS dropout administrative staff. Don't be fooled into thinking you're getting parking at a steal at $20/year for the sticker. That's in addition to the $3,400/yr ($287 X 12) to use the LIRR including its lots.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baklava1981 View Post
Then they should control the salaries. No reason to be paying 6 figures to HS dropout administrative staff. Don't be fooled into thinking you're getting parking at a steal at $20/year for the sticker. That's in addition to the $3,400/yr ($287 X 12) to use the LIRR including its lots.

The town does not get $287/mo.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 PM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,945 times
I guess when they rent out the parking lot - they should allow for people to park on the streets and waive the 1 hour or two house parking restriction around the LIRR Stations.

Thats the only way I can think off - otherwise OP is right - Where do people park ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island