Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times

Advertisements

Why did South Side slide off best schools list? - Rockville Centre - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

I love how the guy in charge of RVC schools blame how the rankings are calculated as it cant be his precious school districts fault.

RVC should change names to Freeport West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Meh. These rankings are usually pretty worthless. The US News one was fundamentally flawed, according to The Washington Post (Did U.S. News use the wrong data in its 2015 ‘best high schools’ rankings? - The Washington Post and A critical look at the annual high school rankings by U.S. News - The Washington Post).

Apparently the Newsweek rankings was based off of data voluntarily submitted by the schools themselves. Its not clear whether SSHS even participated in the first instance or whether the data it used was accurate. As noted in the article, Oceanside's data was wrong (Newsweek confused "percentage" with "percentile," apparently) and other schools across the country have complained that the data used by Newsweek is simply innacurate. Also, according to the NY Times, almost half of the top 500 schools in Newsweek (and 45 of the top 50) are selective-admission magnet schools. It would seem they are not really comparing apples to apples, then. Apparently, the Principal at Wheatley HS addressed this issue last week (Superintendent's Corner • Page - East Williston Union Free School District).

In any event, while its nice to be able to hang a little gold medal outside of your school, these rankings don't mean much of anything. Scarsdale didn't make the cut for top 1,000 (it seems they don't encourage AP/IB, but instead take students on educational field trips) but according to the NY Times 2/3 of graduates attend top-tier colleges. I understand that many of the schools generally thought of as the best in Nassau County (at least according to the general consensus on this forum and the annual City Data LI school rankings //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post40031764), such as South Side, Manhasset, Cold Spring Harbor, Roslyn, Locust Valley, Wheatley, Harborfields, Port Washington, and Garden City did not make the list. Jericho did not even make last year's list but now they are #1 on LI? Garden City is #1 on LI according to US News but not in the top 500 according to Newsweek? Seems very suspect... I can believe that one or maybe even two schools could suddenly fall off the wagon, but the number of oddities suggests a flawed methodology or wrong data rather than any actual changes in the schools themselves.

But why are you making a new topic for this pre-existing thread that you started? //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-island.html Your obsession with RVC is really weird...

Last edited by TEPLimey; 09-08-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
hysterical how you consistently trash this school district and the village.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
hysterical how you consistently trash this school district and the village.
Yes, its quite bizarre. There was a thread a few months back about a property that went up for sale in RVC and he apparently contacted the realtor and got into some type of argument about the cost/benefit of paying RVC village taxes and started asking personal questions about the owner. There was another one where he was moaning about off-street parking regulations in RVC but at the same time was looking at houses in Old Canterbury. As I said, bizarre...

Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Yes, its quite bizarre. There was a thread a few months back about a property that went up for sale in RVC and he apparently contacted the realtor and got into some type of argument about the cost/benefit of paying RVC village taxes and started asking personal questions about the owner. There was another one where he was moaning about off-street parking regulations in RVC but at the same time was looking at houses in Old Canterbury. As I said, bizarre...
Old Canterbury I liked the house but what bugged me it had a single car long driveway that held like 6 cars. Growing up in Great Neck we had a house like that on a house with no overnight parking and when all of us got cars in college what a nightmare. Sometimes I would get buried 5 cars deep.

I would love to get a house RVC with the Oceanside School District so I get the best of both worlds. But the problem even with that is the village taxes are fairly high just to get the cheaper electric. But you do get the name and get to park at train. But train does not mean much to me as I know someone who a building near RVC train I can park at right now.

Nobody ever in RVC can ever tell me where the village tax goes. I own a second home in a really snooty LI town that is an incorporated village I rent out. My village taxes are like $700 bucks a year and RVC I see houses with $5,000 village taxes.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Old Canterbury I liked the house but what bugged me it had a single car long driveway that held like 6 cars. Growing up in Great Neck we had a house like that on a house with no overnight parking and when all of us got cars in college what a nightmare. Sometimes I would get buried 5 cars deep.

I would love to get a house RVC with the Oceanside School District so I get the best of both worlds. But the problem even with that is the village taxes are fairly high just to get the cheaper electric. But you do get the name and get to park at train. But train does not mean much to me as I know someone who a building near RVC train I can park at right now.

Nobody ever in RVC can ever tell me where the village tax goes. I own a second home in a really snooty LI town that is an incorporated village I rent out. My village taxes are like $700 bucks a year and RVC I see houses with $5,000 village taxes.
http://www.rvcny.us/rvcagenda/rvcbudget.pdf

Old 09-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

what a bloated budget, debt service, cops, rec center, dental for firemen what nonsense. They should declare bankruptcy and get rid of the village.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
what a bloated budget, debt service, cops, rec center, dental for firemen what nonsense. They should declare bankruptcy and get rid of the village.
So you have no clue how bankruptcy works, then?

No one cares that you hate RVC. Please move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island